Where to buy everything needed when renovating

Where to buy renovation items...

Hi all,

Can anyone share any good wholesale or cheap retail purchase points for things such as carpets/rugs, doors, kitchens (even kit-kitchens), tiles, paint etc... The usual reno stuff.

I'll be starting renovations pretty soon, and would love to get some contacts around Victoria (or from an online distributor).

I might as well throw in my own plug here and say that I sell Stainless Steel bathroom accessories and my prices are usually alot cheaper than anywhere else for the same quality.
Check - http://stores.ebay.com.au/BAZ-ARI

Cheers,

Rick.

Bunnings is pretty good for a one stop shop but.....I get 90% of my stuff now from the auctions and generally at least 40% below retail. Check out auction houses on the web and you'll find one close to where you are Im sure. One thing with auctions is that you really need to know what stuff is worth so you know how far to bid. Ive seen mugs pay well above what you'd expect to pay at Bunnings and they think they've got a bargain. Do your research and good luck.

Yes, auctions are the way to go..there are heaps of them in the capitals and you can easily pick up excellent bargains. Flooring for example...my brother in law picked up solid wood "click system" flooring at a 1/3rd of the price. Doors/kitchens and other stuff are also auctioned brand new by import companies.

In the ACT... Magnet Mart appears to be doing roaring trade with the Harrison development... considering it is bad enough that so many places look alike (same design), makes me sick to see the same bathrooms in so so many :mad:

Don't get me started on the quality of houses there for under $500k... not to mention real estate agents justifying the prices by trying to convince me that covering the shale/clay rubble all around the house with wood chips is "$10k-$20k worth of landscaping".... and that cheap roller blinds everywhere cost $5k :rolleyes:

Hi all,

Can anyone share any good wholesale or cheap retail purchase points for things such as carpets/rugs, doors, kitchens (even kit-kitchens), tiles, paint etc... The usual reno stuff.

I'll be starting renovations pretty soon, and would love to get some contacts around Victoria (or from an online distributor).

I might as well throw in my own plug here and say that I sell Stainless Steel bathroom accessories and my prices are usually alot cheaper than anywhere else for the same quality.
Check - http://stores.ebay.com.au/BAZ-ARI

Cheers,

Rick.

do your homework ,know what things cost,be prepared to say no and walk away from auctions ,plan ahead ,make a list of things you will or think you will need ,search ebay ,remember that the things you buy cheap NOW may and will fit into future projects ,i have a shed of gear that i have bought at a reasonable price that i am feeding into projects now ,think ahead ,because if you see something at a good price and you buy it then it will stick in your head when you are buying another property,because you know what you have as stock .:D :D :D

Thanks Tom,
Great idea to buy ahead of time. I guess I could even buy things to cover the next 12 months or so. Material prices don't usually drop that much in 12 months.

Rick

Back