Where to start - Old house needs complete reno

Hi all,

I have bought a house that needs complete renovations.

Can anyone provide some tips on where I need to start and what areas do I need to address first.

Some ideas I have is:

Re-d
  1. o bathroom. current measurements are 1.4m x 2.2m. Needs new everything. including adding a toilet which it doesnt have at the moment
  2. Repair cracks on walls and render. Cement render currently.
  3. Repaint entire house inside and outside.
  4. Move Kitchen to adjoining room for a larger kitchen/dining area. Current kitchen is unusable and is a sort of hallway
  5. New electrical wiring
  6. New or restore roof. Roof is currently half tiles and half tin (total roof size is approx 100sqm)
  7. rip up carpet and restore floorboards
  8. turn back WC to a closet laundry
  9. Turn back laundry (1.4m x 3m) into second bathroom
  10. There is alot more however I'll leave it to this for the time being.
Any help would be appreciated. Even if you can point me to any software that could help me manage this it would be great!

Thanks

Block5Dock

Hi all,

I have bought a house that needs complete renovations.

Can anyone provide some tips on where I need to start and what areas do I need to address first.

Some ideas I have is:

Re-d
  1. o bathroom. current measurements are 1.4m x 2.2m. Needs new everything. including adding a toilet which it doesnt have at the moment
  2. Repair cracks on walls and render. Cement render currently.
  3. Repaint entire house inside and outside.
  4. Move Kitchen to adjoining room for a larger kitchen/dining area. Current kitchen is unusable and is a sort of hallway
  5. New electrical wiring
  6. New or restore roof. Roof is currently half tiles and half tin (total roof size is approx 100sqm)
  7. rip up carpet and restore floorboards
  8. turn back WC to a closet laundry
  9. Turn back laundry (1.4m x 3m) into second bathroom
  10. There is alot more however I'll leave it to this for the time being.
Any help would be appreciated. Even if you can point me to any software that could help me manage this it would be great!

Thanks

Block5Dock

Did you buy it as your PPOR?
If it is a PPOR, what made you buy this house rather than other pretty houses?

OR

Did you buy it as an investment?
If it is an investment, did you have any rough figure on the renovation cost before deciding this is a good deal?

OR

Did you buy it as PPOR and while living in it, renovate room by room and hopefully resell it later for zero capital gain tax?

Thanks HTOPG,

To answer your question, PPOR.

Bought it for the location and the potential growth of the area. Sydney prices are going ballistic so I bought an old run down house in a good suburb.

Looking to live in it and renovate room by room and sell for a profit later.

Where to start? As you are living in the house, try and make it a smooth as possible. Renos are a pain to live around but in your case you have some good options. Here is what I would do from the list you provided.

draw up an electric cable plan for the entire reno (know where you want new outlets etc in new rooms) get your electrician in...he will be back and forward a lot as you proceed. :)
Do the same for plumbing
Build the 2nd bathroom (then you are not without a bathroom.)
Turn WC into laundry
Reno the existing bathroom
Build the new kitchen -leaving the old one intact for now
Rip out old kitchen

The rest can be done on a room by room basis.

Does the roof leak at all? If so...the roof repair would possibly to go step one.

Have fun but be prepared for a stressful year (or ten) :). Don't forget to take lots of before and after pics.

Repair cracks on walls and render. Cement render currently.

Has anybody had any luck with doing this? I've been told cracking in walls can be caused by clay soils which in turn cause a lot of movement around the footings. Any repair job will just turn back into cracks later on, especially in periods of rain. I'm not an expert - this is just what I've heard from a retired builder.

Has anybody had any luck with doing this? I've been told cracking in walls can be caused by clay soils which in turn cause a lot of movement around the footings. Any repair job will just turn back into cracks later on, especially in periods of rain. I'm not an expert - this is just what I've heard from a retired builder.

It can be caused by a few different things. In my childhood family home it was caused because we lived near a quarry that blasted every day for many years. In other places it will be caused by underground mining or by living on a fault line. It may be that the builder didn't lay the foundations correctly.

Perhaps get an expert to do an inspection, that way you will know what caused it and therefore whether it is worth fixing. At least search the street address for mining, earthquakes or other newsworthy events that may shed light on the history of the area.

Sounds like you will be in for close to $100k............

New kitchen, 2 bathrooms, new roof.

If you were to replace the roof, you will be looking on average for something between 15-20k

Load up some pictures, will help alot.

Back