Where to invest $400k

New to the PI market and keen to choose wisely. Sole purchaser with income $95k and own a Perth strata unit I reside in. Looked at 3x2 house and land packages around $400 though struggling to find a suburb with sound investment potential close to CBD of Brisbane or Melbourne, good commuting and infrastructure. Any reccomendations?

personally i would wait until the new year and access the market further......

for sure people say every day is a good day to invest but in the current r/e climate i feel its wise to sometimes just sit and access.........most areas are not exactly running hot...

you could easily maximize profits if you eventually sell by 10-15% more when you sell by waiting a little longer i feel....

the best time to sell so the market tells us is pretty much now unit Xmas...theres going to be some or alot frustrated sellers around after xmas that have not sold...so they may well be prepared to negotiate a low offer....

still if a gem pops up you cant knock back and it fits your budget run with it but for me im happy to sit currently with cash and wait.

as for areas, pretty much unlimited in qld but of course bris is where it will happen dollar wise first whenever the next price run starts...it always does....us country people always get a heads up as booms move up the coast....

best of luck..not much help to your question but its an option for you to seriously consider...

dont rush!

Last edited:
Is there any reason you're looking at Brisbane & Melbourne instead of Perth? There are good opportunities right at your doorstep.

Sam, what are your thoughts on the Melbourne and Brisbane markets currently? Are they the right markets for you to be looking in at present?

Gools

Thanks.. at the rate I'm going I won't find anywhere soon :) so it may be the new year. I was looking at Brisbane or Melb in trying to follow investment principles to be 15km of major infrastructure, cities with low unemployment/ anticipated population growth etc. Perth seems over-priced. I'm exploring Delfin development in Waterford Qld today but finding the research process a long haul for a novice.

Invest in Brisbane

My personal opinion is Brisbane will be the next city to go. Melbourne is too hot now. I'd be looking on the South side - Greenslopes or Coorparoo. Great transport links and close to city. You can easily find something for $400k 5-10 yr old unit with low body corp. Greenslopes would be my number one pick.

China - major cities in Guangdong.

Any semi-major city (Zhuhai, Dongguan, Foshan) is bigger than Brisbane + Adelaide + Perth combined...

Apartments going for $150k or so. If Australia can grow 20x from 1980s to now, China will grow 2000x over the same period.

Besides if China falls, Australia falls and if China booms, Australia booms a little. So why wouldn't I invest directly in China?

Lastly, AUD is peaking. Take advantage of it.

Any semi-major city (Zhuhai, Dongguan, Foshan) is bigger than Brisbane + Adelaide + Perth combined...

Apartments going for $150k or so. If Australia can grow 20x from 1980s to now, China will grow 2000x over the same period.

Besides if China falls, Australia falls and if China booms, Australia booms a little. So why wouldn't I invest directly in China?

Probably good opportunitys aval BUT.

- You would probably need to speak chinese (managing it)
- Whats the tax implications
- Can non chinese residents purchase property?
- Can you insure it
- Funding it
- I have no idea about this, but read about it somewhere their is some risk to do with the Govt (sovereign risk?)

So a few hurdles their to jump, can i get some further thoughts on those delta

Regards,

RH

LOL, Guangdong.....you obviously havnt lived there..........I did for three years..............not the greatest place in the world.

Big issue with China is engineering skills of many residentials......the quality still just isnt there.

No I haven't lived for prolonged periods in Guangdong, but have in Hong Kong and frequently went up to Shunde, Shenzhen, Zhongshan etc for holiday and had several friends who had holiday houses up there.

Sure the engineering skills might not be up there yet, but obviously professional services, skills and retail will be part of the second phase of growth. This first phase is just infrastructure development. If you can't see past that, then too bad. But I'd like to point out that Japan and Hong Kong were pretty outback in the 50s and 60s too.

I don't see the relevance of your engineer and skill comment anyway. 15 years ago there weren't even 'millionaires' in the US$ sense. Now China boasts the second highest number of US$ millionaires after oligarchy Russia. Point is, where are the returns going to be? I'd bet Great Wall - with its abhorrent safety standards today - will overtake GM in share price returns in the next 30 years.

Also, I think it's pretty naive to discount a region on the basis of pollution or quality of life (if that's what you're referring to). Auckland's got a clear sky and often trumps the liveability rankings. My parents had an apartment in Auckland's CBD for 15 years and I don't think it's moved... thank god we actually had a use for it as they put the manager of their NZ business into it, so they just consider it a part of their operational costs. Otherwise it would've been a pretty horrible investment. So much for 'quality of life'

Probably good opportunitys aval BUT.

- You would probably need to speak chinese (managing it)
Not sure but get an agent?
- Whats the tax implications
Not sure... I'm a HK citizen
- Can non chinese residents purchase property?
Not sure... I'm a HK citizen
- Can you insure it
Yes
- Funding it
Leverage is really tight over there, but starting prices are very cheap bar the major cities like Shanghai and Beijing, and a few hotspots like Hainan
- I have no idea about this, but read about it somewhere their is some risk to do with the Govt (sovereign risk?)
Hmmm... hate to say this, but sounds like an article reeking of western arrogance... the Govt's not going to stage another Revolution when they are gettign richer and richer under the current system.

So a few hurdles their to jump, can i get some further thoughts on those delta

Regards,

RH

See above for reply

New property Investment

Hi all,

I am new to somersoft and thank-you for taking the time to read my post. I am looking at under $400k in the Brisbane area. I have been suggested to look at Springfield near Ipswich at a property; 3bed, 2 bath, 1 car brand new for $388k. Apporx rent of $330 per week. What areas would be suggested for new purchases in the Brisbane region under $400k? I have also been looking at Augustine Heights because the blocks a re slightly larger there for similar price. Does any one have any suggestions on Freshwaster at Griffin or Richlands? I have a long term goal of buy and hold and hope to use the depreciation to offset my tax.

Also, I have been reccommended to use Cantebury property as they have a rental gaurantee and they will buy the property back for market value or purchase price if you run into financial trouble.

Please let me know what you think

Kindest regards

Jules

Hi all,

I am looking at under $400k in the Brisbane area. I have been suggested to look at Springfield near Ipswich at a property; 3bed, 2 bath, 1 car brand new for $388k. Approx rent of $330 per week. What areas would be suggested for new purchases in the Brisbane region under $400k?

Jules, around that area is good. We have 4 bed houses starting at $363k in Redbank Plains. Check out this article regarding the new train line which is being fast tracked and will eventually go right through this suburb. Springfield is good but pretty well established now. If you want future growth, look to where future infrastructure is planned but not yet in place. Also be wary of people promising rent guarantees and buy backs. They usually factor it in to the sale price so you pay for it. There's always risks, just minimise by doing your research.

Could not help smiling when I read your recommendation.

China faces a number of serious problems in a number of different areas. Economically one of the major ones is real estate. Most major cities have a MAJOR over supply of stock and which very little demand. The Gvt is putting pressure on banks and using any other method possible to minimuse speculation responsible for over supply with out too much success.

Most leading economists who don't spout propaganda all talk of the over supply and how it is a time bomb waiting to go of if not dealt with properly.

The statistics for the floor space of vacant units compared to occupied is very grim. Don't have the figures with me now but it is documented.

Major cities have large numbers of housing estates complete or near completion that are vacant with and likely to stay that way.

Local Chinese who are not blinded by the desire to invest in r/e at all costs are also against r/e investment.

5 years ago, you'd have been right. Now, no. So unless you like gambling with the odds stacked in the house's favor, stay out of China r/e.

I drove past the Richlands train station today. It does exist, unlike the ones on the way to Redcliffe. Still not operational, though. We were shown a very nice townhouse in Carole Park, $330K with rentals just below that but some houses still vacant. Land-locked area if that is any help.

Back