Where's the best price to buy a shed-China ?

Gday people.
l'm looking for an American barn style shed. Roughly around 8 to 10 mtrs x 7 or 8mtrs.

l dunno , you see ads on tv with prices but every one l've gone to on the net , no prices - send us for a quote - yeah right l could just imagine !

Anyway , l've also been thinking maybe import one, China or somewhere else , seems everything else they have's a fraction of our prices maybe l could save a fortune - would that be a good move or ? Any ideas on steel quality as it's going up near the beach ?

Anyway , price is the first big factor also but not a piece of crap .
Any links or places to recommend ?

Cheers

Dunno the answer but let us know how you go. Personally I would go local in case there were quality problems. A bit different than buying a book online.

Here's an idea - why don't you call and ask the local mobs for a quote? Are they requesting your first born in exchange for a quote?

I'd be concerned an imported one wouldn't pass local regs.

I've built a few sheds on my farm and industrial properties . Generally speaking , you get what you pay for .

You have to work out what it's going to be used for .

I have sheds to park trucks and heavy machinery .
I have sheds to store hay in .
I have a 4 bay car shed with one part as a workshop .
I have a cheap shed that acts as a shelter for my wife's horse .
I have a shed especially for storing chemicals in .
I have a large industrial grade shed leased to an engineering firm with provision for gantry and heavy grade engineering machinery .
I have several sheds for rearing dairy calves in .
I have a shed for my firewood .
I have an important and expensive shed for my dairy .
I even have a shed down the back of my farm with a relaxed look to it and most probably collapse in the next big wind . I'm tired of fixing and bracing it .

I have looked at those American barn style sheds before and similar ones . Personally I don't think they have much structural integrity . I know they will comply with the regulations and all that but I'd rather spend more for something with more strength .

Concrete and steel and gravel and medium grade machinery is more my thing . I'm getting more grumpy as I get older . One day I want to build a nice home on my farm too , and not one of those cheaply 800k boxes either .

Do yourself a favour mate and build a proper shed

I'd be concerned an imported one wouldnt pass local regs.

I speak from past experience. Trying to import it oneself will only lead to tears. Best to buy a China made shed that's already been imported into Australia by an established Aussie importer.

Yes, stuff in China is cheap. But, in my experience, much of what I imported fell to bits as soon as the container door was opened. Appalling quality. Zero recourse.

Another option for a steel shed at least is to get a local engineer to build one from scratch and forget all that kit set package stuff . Seven years ago we built a shed with galv pipe , zig zag trusses , colour bond , tech srews you know the drill . I paid an engineer guy $60 an hour and worked with him when I could and it didn't take long .

The hard part I find is chasing people to get things done and finding people you can trust .

Shawn

I speak from past experience. Trying to import it oneself will only lead to tears. Best to buy a China made shed that's already been imported into Australia by an established Aussie importer.

Yes, stuff in China is cheap. But, in my experience, much of what I imported fell to bits as soon as the container door was opened. Appalling quality. Zero recourse.

Good advice

If your a one off customer they will put the apprentice factory hands to have a go making it. Never import one offs from China. Go through someone local.

Try cheap sheds - www.cheapsheds.com.au
They have been around for a while now, operate solely online and are the biggest retailer in the shed industry. Their customer service is pretty good and they source all the sheds locally. They where the first company to supply and deliver (using depots) nation wide.

Use their chat feature or give them a call.

-I have no affiliation with them at all.

Here's a concept; how about buying from a local crowd and keep some jobs in Aus.

Try this crowd...

http://www.eurekagarages.com.au/

Oh; hang on; you want the best quality shed on the market at the lowest prices......

I get that all the time - a tyre which will last 100,000km's, stick like shoit to a blanket, and cost $5 because that's what the bloke 5 suburbs away quoted me, is as quiet as a mouse, with a 10 year guarantee, and locally made please, and can you put them on right now in under an hour because I'm in a hurry...

Thanks for that people.
Got yourself a few sheds there PF, hooly doolyl

So pass on China you reckon.
Tell you a funny , l was looking for a gooseneck trailer. Came across some Chinese places and l'm not kidding - delivered to Melbourne docks , all up, 1/1oth the price of anything in this country. And that was including Australian taxes and crap. They looked very nice, every bell and whistle. So l'd decided on one and emailed the company.
They reply back - ohhhh Australia , we can put you with our Australian bla bla we have right here. l'm thinking well, there goes that this'll be good !
Suddenly , the free carpet , air con and 300$ kitchen became $8,000 dollar extras , the prices of everything else on it trippled and suddenly the whole trailer was 60k instead of 22 - and all with a nice big Australian smile , what bloody a joke.

Weird , all these shed tv ads show all these specials and great deals and prices but when you go to their sites it's double, cheeky *****s.

l know how you feel Bayview , l sell camper vans on Ebay and my God , the crap.
But hey , you do have to save anyway you can in this country , no choice . But when you see the real prices our companies have been importing everything we buy at for 50yrs , you really have to wonder .
l mean somebody in there's been making absolute killings of us all for decades but who ? Because on the other hand we have places struggling and going under all the time .

lt's a given l guess the gov's winning everytime, everywhere but there's gotta be more.

My brother makes 1700% on his motor bike parts here and that's still under cutting the shops by a mile.

Anyway , back to my shed :eek:

But when you see the real prices our companies have been importing everything we buy at for 50yrs , you really have to wonder .
l mean somebody in there's been making absolute killings of us all for decades but who ? Because on the other hand we have places struggling and going under all the time .

:

On a wholesale level all the little things we dont think about like workers comp and product liability all add to the finanal cost also a small population spread over a large area doesnt help, nor does the high cost of freight, real estate and high wages.
Aussies want global prices but not global pay and conditions sooner or later something has to give..

Thanks for the link Ozzie ... we're in the market for a 2-3 bay garage. Currently have a 6 bay enclosed machinery shed - but two bays are a converted flat and the rest is full of (wait for it) machinery ... tractor, ride on, horse float, farm equipment and tools ...

Also have a pumping shed but that's only got 3 electric pumps, 2 diesel pumps and fencing gear.

We too looked at importing from China - two new horse floats, one to keep and one to sell, as they are so expensive here and about half the price imported ... but then we were warned that, to fit two floats in one container, they often send floats that are shorter than what you ordered

And once there here - you either have to pay the cost to send them back yourself or put up. Problem is we have a large quarter/stock gelding and short floats are no good.

Gee , some interesting stuff goes on . I have to wonder though , there must be other places you can get a shed from . China isn't the only country that can make stuff .

I look all the time for deals on sheds both new and second hand and most of what I see is pie in the sky or just light flimsy crap really .

Nothing grates on me more than spending hard earned money on something and see it fail and deteriorate so quickly .

Back in the early 2000s when the MIS were in full swing , company's like Timbercorp and off shoots of Maquarie bank were buying farms left right and centre to plant trees on . After settlement everything apart from the earth itself virtually was sold at clearing sales . There were some roaring bargains looking back . You had to be organised though . You needed a few mates that knew how to work and a good tray truck and possibly a loader of sorts .

I remember see a huge shed getting knocked down for I think it was around 3k . A neighbour of mine bought it , dismantled and re erected it at home . A great deal and I enjoyed helping him . I wished I could have taken more advantage of some of those opportunities myself . Had my work cut out buying farm land and making sure I was focusing on my core business .

As for MIS , what a discrace that was too . Better not go there ....

Interesting topic .

Shawn

You have to physically watch them put the item in the container and put it on the ship to be assured of the quality. Otherwise they'll put their rejects into the container to rip you off. Oldest trick in the book.

You have to physically watch them put the item in the container and put it on the ship to be assured of the quality. Otherwise they'll put their rejects into the container to rip you off. Oldest trick in the book.

Yep one of my clients is an importer of toys (made to spec) ad they have in country QA to spot check shipments to stop this

Thanks for the link Ozzie ... we're in the market for a 2-3 bay garage. Currently have a 6 bay enclosed machinery shed - but two bays are a converted flat and the rest is full of (wait for it) machinery ... tractor, ride on, horse float, farm equipment and tools ...

Also have a pumping shed but that's only got 3 electric pumps, 2 diesel pumps and fencing gear.

We too looked at importing from China - two new horse floats, one to keep and one to sell, as they are so expensive here and about half the price imported ... but then we were warned that, to fit two floats in one container, they often send floats that are shorter than what you ordered

And once there here - you either have to pay the cost to send them back yourself or put up. Problem is we have a large quarter/stock gelding and short floats are no good.

Have to get some shetlands to Lizzie :cool:

Thanks for the links to people.

So PF , how do you know if it's a good shed with good steel and strong, if they only show you pictures ? Went to two mobs so far and they sell you your damn shed from an office out of a brochure. Gotta find mobs with displays l spose.
Because as l say mines going right on the coast , not only the salt but often very strong winds.

Back