Which country

There are many of you out in forum land that have investments outside of Australia. I was woundering which countries do you invest in & if it has been worthwhile. The pro's & the con's.

Myself, well I'm a "strictly Aussie" investor, but thought that maybe sometime in the distant future I might like to dabble elsewhere and maybe there might be other curious investors like myself who would enjoy some honest feedback.

So come on. Which country(s) do you invest in? What attracted you to them? What are the pitfalls? What have you gained/lost by doing so? Would you do it again?

skater said:
There are many of you out in forum land that have investments outside of Australia. I was woundering which countries do you invest in & if it has been worthwhile. The pro's & the con's.

Myself, well I'm a "strictly Aussie" investor, but thought that maybe sometime in the distant future I might like to dabble elsewhere and maybe there might be other curious investors like myself who would enjoy some honest feedback.

So come on. Which country(s) do you invest in? What attracted you to them? What are the pitfalls? What have you gained/lost by doing so? Would you do it again?

In property sense only?

Many people have (possibly unintentionally) overseas exposure to some extent on international sharemarkets (usually thru their superannuation).

All of our international exposure is thru managed funds.

This gives us exposure to overseas markets without having to establish trading accounts etc, and with relatively small outlay.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Well, Y-Man, I really hadn't thought about managed funds, but I guess that would qualify too. Not really interested in what people have in Super Funds as in most cases you don't control that yourself, unless you have a SMSF.

I'm probably in the same situation as you Skater.

Havn't done it but at some stage will probably do it.

I suppose the first consideration for me will be that of language and political stability . So with that in mind I'd be looking at UK ( I have dual citizenship so that bypassess some hurdles ) , NZ , Canada and the US.

The US is interesting simply because some of the sorts of opportunities that some up at different stages of the cycle.

NZ is nice and close and also has what I think is a reliable source of info in the form of Kieran Trass , thoough I woundn't mind something over in Canada as an excuss to go over there and do some skiing while checking things out.... ;) ...

Being an myopic english speaker , I'd be reluctant to branch out into other countries , simply because I'd be reliant on others for the most basic info , and there are so many sharks out there in property investment land :rolleyes: :eek: .

Seen Change

I don't have any direct property overseas, but do have some shares in the Babcock & Brown Japan Property Trust which invests in commercial real estate there (and I don't even need to speak the lingo :D).

For direct investments, I'm considering NZ since I'm from there and have family and friends there. And my parents just happen to live in a city I think will be worth buying in at some stage. :)

Cheers,
GP

skater said:
Which country(s) do you invest in? What attracted you to them? What are the pitfalls? What have you gained/lost by doing so? Would you do it again?

Macedonia.
I used to live there, my old folks still live there, good returns. Limited new developments and increased demand.
A foreigner would need to rely on locals for market data. You need to know which areas are good and why.
7.5-9% yield, even more on commercial (12%+). Lots of money tied up, and all properties are owned outright. The loss is that borrowing against that property is hard since banking system is still old. It’s turning around though. At the moment high interest rates on borrowings so not attractive to borrow, only own outright.
I would and am at the moment doing it. Considering a redevelopment of an older two story house into block of 8 flats. Also looking into adding some prime location commercial.
I'm looking in Bulgaria and Croatia at the moment as well, although the REAL opportunities were 2-3 years ago.

Thx
V

Skater,

My cousin who lives in the U.S does quite a bit of real estate investments and apparently the market there is like Oz 3 years ago. She's making a mint at the moment. Currently, she's interested in buying land on the Florida Coast with ocean views or close to the ocean. I think she said it cost US$50k approx and they have alraedy increased by 30%...I don't know if I heard her correctly but it sounds very cheap to me. At that price you could almost afford to buy and hold for land. Interest rates is like 1% last time I heard.

Maybe because there's no immediate rental income to offset the mortgage, US people aren't interested in land acquisitions hence so cheap.

Another city is Johannessburg, my best friend lives there and they're about to purchase their 3rd property. The 1st, bought a few years back has more than doubled in value. She says the market there is really hot.

With the UK market, London specifically, it seems there are bargains out there if you look hard enough. My friend's in the process of buying a house in London (probably a townhouse), with 3brs for GBP190k. Sounds very cheap considering semi detach in Nth Hampton sell for that price.

HongKong mostly apartments with expensive body corporate fees but I have friends that are making loads buying new off the plan prestigious Condo's and re-selling. That's all too risky for me.

The only negative about UK is that it's not the norm to use property managers to let out and collect rent for you. Everyone i know collect rent and let out the houses themslves. Their mentality is why pay someone when you can do it yourself. The tenancy laws don't seem that strict their either...seems tenants don't have equal rights unlike in Oz where Tenants have even more rights.

That's why so many foreigners invest in Oz...it's just so much easier here. Relatives from UK have properties here and they never come over to check on them as it's all managed so well and the tax benefits make it even more attractive.

I'm very interested in U.S though.

sue78 said:
Skater,

My cousin who lives in the U.S does quite a bit of real estate investments and apparently the market there is like Oz 3 years ago. She's making a mint at the moment. Currently, she's interested in buying land on the Florida Coast with ocean views or close to the ocean. I think she said it cost US$50k approx and they have alraedy increased by 30%...I don't know if I heard her correctly but it sounds very cheap to me. At that price you could almost afford to buy and hold for land. Interest rates is like 1% last time I heard.
the hurricanes would have had an affect on land prices, half of Florida is flattened, the other half has to be worth more, unless you worry whether your bit is going to get blown away next, or worry about the recovery time before there is any money in Florida. Its still pretty terrible there. Its so bad the Canadians didnt go south for the winter.

GreatPig said:
I don't have any direct property overseas, but do have some shares in the Babcock & Brown Japan Property Trust which invests in commercial real estate there (and I don't even need to speak the lingo :D).

Hey GP

Bought some of those myself a few months back in my SMSF. Unfortunately I missed most of the earlier dramatic rise. Still, I'm hoping they do ok over time.

Unlike you though I do know a fair bit of the lingo, eg Toyota, Tokyo, Fuji, yen, Yamaha, and a really big one, Mitsubishi!! And that's just for starters.... :D Wanna hear more???

:p

I like New Zealand, Christchurch in particular, as I feel I have got to know the market there very well over the last few years.

I'll certainly buy more there when I see value again.

It is also very similar to buying here so no great learning curve needed!

I'd love to buy in other countries too, especially the UK.

Hi,
I would like to say G'day to everyone on this forum I've learnt so much info over the last 6 months..I owe you regular contributers a beer for the wealth of priceless info. :)
As for me I'm currently living in Moscow at the moment, where I used a bit of my aussie equity from a couple of properties owned in Oz and bought an apartment in the very heart of the city 6 mths ago and its already increased 50% with about 13% rental return.. Good gains but there is always that added risk here.
You've gotta be in it to win it.
Doncossack

ani said:
I like New Zealand, Christchurch in particular
Me too, but that may have something to do with the fact I lived there for 6 years when I was at university and have some fond memories of the place. Still have one or two friends there as well.

Haven't looked at real estate there yet though, and I'm sure the good & bad areas have changed somewhat since I was there (which was the late '70s - early '80s).

Cheers,
GP

me too, too. Same reasons as I live in NZ although originally from oz. I reckon you cant beat family connections and friends for info. Would love the invest in europe but there are a few extra obsticles in my way at the moment.

Don and Liz said:
I reckon you cant beat family connections and friends for info.

Hmmm not sure about that. I think often people that live in an area miss what changes are happening under their very nose.

They often decide a suburb is bad and never change their mind. When I bought in Linwood, Christchurch, everyone I knew in ChCh was downright horrified!!

I made excellent CG's on both;)

yeah - depends on the family - people do have trouble seeing what is under their noses. No doubt linwood did well for you. Brighton? Did you get any of the new sections to the north. We were up there in december - how is the streetscape revamp going - questions questions

I haven't seen it since December either and it didn't look much different to me!

No we bought an existing block of units on Brighton Blvde. I haven't seen the land blocks.

Only ever thought of investing in my home city of Perth until I travelled to London. Now I only invest in London. Does that say something about my comfort zone?

There are some pretty great deals over here if anyone was keen to look over the pond.

Fiji

Hi guys

Not a regular contributir but I visit this forums often

I have properties in Fiji - capital gains and rental returns in the last few years have bene really good - but with anything there is always a bit of risk

After reading this thread, I like the idea of investing overseas because I can see that some countries are still on early stages of recovery/boom.
But can anyone advise me a managed fund that invest in overseas properties with good track records? I like to start small to get myself comfortable first. If I don't do this I might end up not investing at all. I know that in the last 5 years or so some managed funds that invested in local properties had a very good return. So I am hoping to find something similar for overseas properties. Thanks.

Back