Which is the safest bank?

In the USA your deposits are insured up to $100,000. That's not the case here.
Which bank is going to be the safest in the event of a run on a bank?

I feel it would be a brave person to stick ones hand up and say bank x

Bank x might look really solid today, ........until they reveal their 5000 billions losses in related entities

ta
rolf

shoe box is already full. i remember in thems good old days "cash", i "think' i knew some one purchased water beds for his kids to use to instead of a shoe box, and also beutiful large pot plants, the pots themselves, but i cant remember ? lol

In the USA your deposits are insured up to $100,000. That's not the case here.
Which bank is going to be the safest in the event of a run on a bank?

According to stats, the average Aussie is 105% in debt approx (The average Yank is 110% in debt).

This should mean that there is very little in savings in any Bank around the Country.

No doubt there will a minority who will have a decent chunk of savings in the Bank, but I think that if there was a run made on any of our major Banks it would probably be a bit of a drop in the ocean compared to their overall business?

Being a hyper-cautious type, and having been stung by the folding up of the "Permanent" Investment Building Society in the late 80's, we've moved all ours out of a second tier institution into the CBA. Once bitten....

I just figure the CBA is already 25% govt owned, (less bailing involved), and if things got that bad that the Commonwealth goes down, then the stuff in the shoebox will only be paper er.. polymer, and cash will be the least of our worries.

I can't imagine descending to the bunker with a box of cartridges and cartons of baked beans just yet though. :)

Cheers,
Beef.

The only lender that I know about that's 'AAA' rated is GE Money - the major Australian banks are only 'AA' rated.

Of course, GE Money isn't a deposit taking institution and as far as lenders go they've got a pact with the devil. They're safe for investors but not for borrowers in my opinion.

Rabobank is supposedly AAA rated.

But these days that's probably like saying someone's an expert because they have an honorary degree from Jim's Mowing Academy.

GP

I have mortgages, money in the offset account against them, and large not-yet-used LOC, all with bank x. What will happen if bank x collapses ? Will I lose the $$ ? the properties ?
Should I widthdraw more money from the LOC and place it in its offset account if the credit is to get tighter ?

I have mortgages, money in the offset account against them, and large not-yet-used LOC, all with bank x. What will happen if bank x collapses ? Will I lose the $$ ? the properties ?
Should I widthdraw more money from the LOC and place it in its offset account if the credit is to get tighter ?

Unfortunately, the large not-yet-used LOC may be cancelled :( I'm thinking of moving money from my LOC to an offset account at another bank so it can't be taken off us.

Cheers,

Bazza

hi all
simple answer
non of the current local banks.
and that won't change until we see what there leverage position is
the only one that maybe is a bank of queensland as its a franchise bank system so for me is a bit safer

hi rolf
yes they are but they also have at this stage not got alot of tenticles into other banks so they are not safe but safer for me

Back