Which of Brisbane western suburbs for cosmetic reno?

Which of Brisbane western suburbs would be good to focus on for cosmetic reno? (i.e. no major changes, no structure changes, just stick to painting/kitchen/bathroom etc). By western suburbs I'm meaning from say around Riverhills, Middle Park, Jindalee, Indooroopilly, Oxley, Sherwood etc type areas.

Background - I'm reading you have to get the right suburb for the right type of reno, so if I start with a lower risk reno which no structural changes. Was thinking of PP around $350k-$450k

Pick a suburb with a train station.

From my understanding, I would think the Jindalee area is too far out for today's city dwellers who pay higher rents than traditional families who work closer to where they live and who want the larger blocks of land close to schools, shops etc. However i dont have any current experience with that location so I could be way off. I can see how it would be suitable for those who work between Brisbane and Ipswich. Once Legacy Way opens the travel time to the east will improve, so you have plenty of time to get in and make gains.

We did up my mother's 1960s house at The Gap last year to sell and at the time there was a smorgasboard of properties requiring some TLC eight to ten klms from the city and that take 20 minutes by bus. To the immediate west and south of The Gap there is the mountain and state forest, so this suburb is land-locked. The army may still own the land to the north. We got Mum's house valued before we started, spent $15k and sold it for $60K more than the inital val.

(bump) would still be interested from those with experience here - what I could ask specifically would be comments re increased likelihood for profit (for cosmetic reno) between areas such as:

(a) Tarragindi / Yeronga / Moorooka
vs
(b) Sherwood / Corinda / Oxley
vs
(c) Indooroopilly / Taringa / Chapel Hill

Are you thinking about a unit or a house? Like Angel said, transport is important. So train station or busway stop nearby.

In that price range you could only get a unit/townhouse in Indro or Taringa. These suburbs haven't fared too well in the last couple of years. I can't imagine that they'd be good prospects for profit. As for Chapel Hill, unless it's an area close to Moggill road, the transport links just aren't good enough.

Oxley/Corinda are a bit too far from the city I think. Sherwood might be a bit better, but you'd want to be close to a train station. Prices are cheap in these areas however and I'm sure that there would be opportunities there.

I'm biased towards the south side, so Moorooka/Tarragindi/Yeronga would be my pick. Moorooka's obviously the cheapest of the lot so might be the best bet for profit. You need to pick the location well though - I'm partial to the area east of Beaudesert Road. Queenslanders with nice street appeal always seem to get snapped up quickly. I'm a bit iffy about Yeronga atm. I like Tarragindi because it's a non-flood-affected suburb, but it's mostly houses (nice to live but little development potential). Great transport. You'd need to focus on areas close to Holland Park West busway - this is the cheapest part of Tarragindi with houses ripe for cosmetic reno.

I guess I haven't really answered your question. It's probably because I'm not sure that any Brisbane suburbs in general are going to yield much profit from a cosmetic reno in the short term. As always, it's about buying well; get something undervalued and make good renovation decisions.

@gotit - thinking about a house - what you've posted is exactly the kind of feedback I'm interested in thanks - can I ask:

* re "I'm partial to the area east of Beaudesert Road (in Moorooka)" - oh, even though that would be further away from the train line there?

* re "being a bit iffy re Yeronga" - mind if I ask why?

* re "areas close to Holland Park West busway" - which side of the highway did you have in mind here?

Back