Which Phone?

Hi All,

Just had a call from optus to upgrade my handset. Was given the following free options for my plan.

Samsung Galaxy S
Dell Streak
Garmin A50 (same company that produce Garmin SatNav)
Motorola Milestone
Nokia 6700 (simple handset good for Tradies)
Nokia N97 mini.

Anyone had experience with these? I have never had a tochscreen before with so many features. Appreciate some advice. I also get free internet download up to 1 Gb.

I am a tradie but no longer on the tools much so don't need a tough and simple phone so much anymore. :)

Go for the Android phones. (No iphone on your list)

Stay away from Nokia. No matter how Nokia dress up their phones, the Symbian operating system is antiquated, inadequate with inferior / little third party software.

:)

If you can go for something like HTC Legend or Desire otherwise IPhone4. Not much else out there apart from Blackberry which I have but would now prefer either a HTC (again) or the iphone 4. HTC back in the early days were ok but i hated the windows mobile, now its a different story with android.

Hi All,

Just had a call from optus to upgrade my handset. Was given the following free options for my plan.

Samsung Galaxy S
Dell Streak
Garmin A50 (same company that produce Garmin SatNav)
Motorola Milestone
Nokia 6700 (simple handset good for Tradies)
Nokia N97 mini.

Anyone had experience with these? I have never had a tochscreen before with so many features. Appreciate some advice. I also get free internet download up to 1 Gb.

I am a tradie but no longer on the tools much so don't need a tough and simple phone so much anymore. :)

Me personally I would be looking at the Samsung, they are very popular at the moment in hong kong. As mentioned by other people, Nokia runs symbian so is a waste of time these days. Motorola Milestone is old and has a slow processor(500Mhz) compared to the samsung which is 1Ghz.

The Dell Streak has a 5" Screen and is marketed has a Smartphone / Tablet so if that tickles your fancy. But I think may be a little big for a phone.

Well garmin... If there software is as crap as it is on there gps.. I would be staying clear of it.

So the Samsung get's my vote.

Hope that helps.

-Frank

A colleague of mine (techie) did a full comparison of HTC (desire, which a lot of colleagues have) vs Galaxy.

He ended up buying the Galaxy (memory, speed, screen better). Awesome phone

love my HTC desire, although it will not shut down by itself. This is my second one. Great phone but does not handle work sites very well. When I spending more than a day at a time on a work site, I use the tough Nokia.

DID YOU end up getting a phone? How did it go? I need one and was thinking of going for the Galaxy S as it seemed like one of the most popular in the cheaper range.

I have had the Galaxy S for about 2 months now. My first smart phone.

Pros are a nice big screen and pretty easy to use.

Cons are very short battery life and I'm starting to get a bit of screen lag as the applications I download grow. Apparently this is going to be improved when the next software upgrade is available.

edit - GPS is also poor.

Samsung Galaxy S, no question.

$599-$800 bucks...no thanx..ill stick to my simple $79 phone with slow sms that ive had for 5 years............it still rings ok for me...sooner use a laptop to go online.....ph screens are way to small to net surf...

Id never spend money on a mobile...they go out of fashion in under 12 mths.........

Investors should use the K-I-S-S principal at all times...:)

ill stick to my simple $79 phone with slow sms that ive had for 5 years...........Id never spend money on a mobile...they go out of fashion in under 12 mths.........

judging by your post,
fashion isn't exactly your concern ;)

judging by your post,
fashion isn't exactly your concern ;)

lol, fashion? as far as im concerned fashion relates to clothing not showponey phones that often pack it in before the warranty expires...

excuse me while i put my 504 levis on and irom my flannelette shirt and find my thongs! yeah gidday, you dat mate?

$599-$800 bucks...no thanx..

Who buys a phone outright upfront? You pick a plan that reflects your phone usage habits and the actual handset cost over a 24 month contract is negligible.

ill stick to my simple $79 phone with slow sms that ive had for 5 years............it still rings ok for me...sooner use a laptop to go online.....ph screens are way to small to net surf.....

Smart phone screens are more than adequate for net surfing, from forums to net banking mobile internet is a viable option and is getting better all the time.

Id never spend money on a mobile...they go out of fashion in under 12 mths.........

Investors should use the K-I-S-S principal at all times...:)

Fashion? I think it's new features that drives upgrades. Re. investors KISS I think investors should use the modern tools available to them to make their life easier and enhance their productivity, that's what smart phones do.

Yesterday for example I did the following on my iPhone:
Checked the weather forecast.
Used a satellite navigation program to get me from A to B.
Browsed Somersoft on the train.
Did some internet banking.
Ran detailed calculations for the feasibility of an IP using a free application called My Home Calculator (very handy BTW.)
Checked my email
Checked Facebook
Played Angry Birds :D

That's just a few of the practical uses of my phone that go beyond the bread and butter of texting and phone calls.

I'm not into trendy phones and stuff, but thinking i could check emails while waiting for the kids in the pick up zone at school etc. I'm also travelling and downsizing to a smaller house - so we are going from 4 computers to 2 to save space. + I think it would be good to have a seperate system for property related stuff (checking emails and rent from PM"S) I'm a bit worried though that it may become a pain being accessable all the time.

Who buys a phone outright upfront? You pick a plan that reflects your phone usage habits and the actual handset cost over a 24 month contract is negligible.

Smart phone screens are more than adequate for net surfing, from forums to net banking mobile internet is a viable option and is getting better all the time.

Fashion? I think it's new features that drives upgrades. Re. investors KISS I think investors should use the modern tools available to them to make their life easier and enhance their productivity, that's what smart phones do.

Yesterday for example I did the following on my iPhone:
Checked the weather forecast.
Used a satellite navigation program to get me from A to B.
Browsed Somersoft on the train.
Did some internet banking.
Ran detailed calculations for the feasibility of an IP using a free application called My Home Calculator (very handy BTW.)
Checked my email
Checked Facebook
Played Angry Birds :D
That's just a few of the practical uses of my phone that go beyond the bread and butter of texting and phone calls.

My wife hated me playing that game.... now she's hooked !@

Phone

I absolutely love my I phone . I can check emails while putting a baby to sleep or anywhere . I surf the web And do everything anywhere, anytime , without waiting for a laptop or netbook to open up . It's wonderful !

DID YOU end up getting a phone? How did it go? I need one and was thinking of going for the Galaxy S as it seemed like one of the most popular in the cheaper range.

Sorry L, just noticed this. I am going to Tweed Heads (the big smoke for me) tomorrow to check them out in the flesh. Not sure if I will get the Galaxy S, especially now that Empty Pockets has confirmed a review I read about lagging time and battery life. Will let you know when I make a choice.

How is that leg of yours? :)

I absolutely love my I phone . I can check emails while putting a baby to sleep or anywhere . I surf the web And do everything anywhere, anytime , without waiting for a laptop or netbook to open up . It's wonderful !

Hi Jane,

I can get an Apple iPhone 4 16GB on my plan as well. I have heard that the reception can be a bit dodgy resulting from the antenna set up. How has yours been? :)

Sorry L, just noticed this. I am going to Tweed Heads (the big smoke for me) tomorrow to check them out in the flesh. Not sure if I will get the Galaxy S, especially now that Empty Pockets has confirmed a review I read about lagging time and battery life. Will let you know when I make a choice.

How is that leg of yours? :)

That's OK - was wondering what happened to you. There's so many choices it gets so confusing. My leg is fine, been 19 months now. I'm going to the big smoke too - moving to Bris from country Perth, bit scarey!

I just absolutely love my love my HTC desire,:D
Best phone I have ever used and the camera is awesome.
Emails are an instant press of a button,I don't have to go to my computer as much now.

Back