Which set top box?

Morning All.
I have decided to buy a set top box but have no idea which one.
They range in price form $30 up.
Is there any thing in particular l need to know when l am researching?
All help will be very much apreciated.

cheers

Performance should be similar these days but reliability isn't the same.
The really cheap ones fail more often.

Some of them offer a better program guide.
Check out the freeview enabled ones
http://freeview.com.au/

Also have a look at the remote and make sure you're happy with the buttons. The function I like best is the back button which enables me to go back to the previous channel.
I use this button to check what's on a 2nd channel (between ads)and I wouldn't buy a setop box or a digital TV that doesn't have it

Thanks BV thats a great info on that link.
I will go the shop with at least a bit of knowledge.
l will look for the back button too:D
cheers

Morning All.
I have decided to buy a set top box but have no idea which one.
They range in price form $30 up.
Is there any thing in particular l need to know when l am researching?
All help will be very much apreciated.

cheers

We needed one for an LCD TV we have in the lounge room, I can view the Digital Channels and see the HD Channels on the TV but can't access the HD channels at all.

i.e. we could see Channel 72 and could access that as well as Channel 99, but couldn't access Channel 73 (7Mate) or Channel 90 (Gem)

I picked up a set top box recently for the LCD TV from the Good Guys for about $90, It also had a USB port for playback and recording of media, so now have a 2 TB external Hard Drive (with a large movie library) attached

Mark l got the first one of those ever made. I do have my priorities:D
I ended up getting a set top box yesterday and it has the usb record/playback which is pretty good l reckon. I found it much less a daunting task after l did some reading on from the link BV provided.
I was able to set it up with only a few deep deep breaths. I a very happy with it and its really improved the picture quality to boot.
Thanks again for the help
cheers

yadreamin
Sounds good.
What did you end up buying?
I'll need to buy 1 soon because the buttons on my old panasonic setop are starting to play up.
cheers

Make sure it is High Definition.

That is the issue Redwing is referring to, his LCD was SD only and couldn't access some of the new HD channels.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend in the end but if you have a reasonable media library then some sort of access to that is great.

Personally I use a Playstation 3 with a PlayTV addon.
It can then stream my media over my Wifi network and play Blueray DVD's as well.

It's quite the jack of all trades the Playstation but will cost you $600 to setup.

yadreamin
Sounds good.
What did you end up buying?
I'll need to buy 1 soon because the buttons on my old panasonic setop are starting to play up.
cheers

BV l bought from R. Harts store brand name Storm. they make Teac and a few others. It retails $99 l got it for $68
Its high def and digital usb recording. very simple and easy features. [You dont need a kid to operate it which is a nice change]
I turn my Tv ect off at the wall every day and this did not disrupt the set top box settings at all. another bonus in my book
cheers

BV l bought from R. Harts store brand name Storm. Its high def and digital usb recording. very simple and easy features. [You dont need a kid to operate it which is a nice change]
I turn my Tv ect off at the wall every day and this did not disrupt the set top box settings at all. another bonus in my book
cheers
sounds like that's what you need.
Turning the power off will also prolong its life so its all good

Back