Which State do you think will have the most Growth in the next 5 years

Which state do you think will have the most growth in the next 5 yrs?

• Queensland

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • New South Wales

Votes: 58 43.6%
  • Victoria

Votes: 23 17.3%
  • Tasmania

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • South Australia

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • Northern Territory

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • ACT

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agreed. Apart from the cold, I like Canberra. But I like Noosa better.

Two things which may impact on Canberra prices in the future - decentralisation and outsourcing. Nowadays ppl are more demanding of services at their convenience and the govt is always looking for ways to minimise (spelt handball) costs.

I've been around long enough to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Everything is cyclical. Property, stockmarket, economy, govt policies. You know-boom and bust. It's simply human nature.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.
True in some ways, but as long as the federal ministers, meet in canberra, those depts will always be right next door. enough said now ! just spend some reserch time on the numbers.:)

From my point of view, I would always choose the state I most familiar with, and where I live/master.

Although, variable factors will affect the growth potential of a state, for me, from state perspective view, it's just a too big topic. Because I think no matter how big growth a state has, the specific property I buy on a street of a suburb in a state doesn't have to follow that growth. The one I buy matters, instead of the state where my property lies in.

So I would like to choose the state/suburb/street specific properties that I know/understand very well, and I agree with quite a lot of investors' strategies of not investing too many remote properties.

But of course, different investors have different credit factors when they decide to buy or sell, so choosing an approach which suites ourselves and repeating it might be an important criteria.......

Cheers

Ryan

OK. Fess up. Who voted WA?

I know in Queensland they're called Queenslanders and in Victoria, they're called Victorians. Are those from the Northern Territory called Northern Terrorists?

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

i voted WA.

i'm sinking under the workload. and it's still coming. there's so mcuh construction work in the pipeline, as well as the gorgon gas project and it's 6000 jobs.

my next call would be Sydney's Inner West, followed closely by the Redcliffe Peninsula in QLD.

but that's my opinion and i'm no guru. dont ask me to justify it, because my actions will speak louder than words over the coming months.

I think you only need to look to where the jobs and best infrastructure is going to see which will be the best area going forward.

In a macro sense, I'd look at the biggest growth in population, and in a micro sense there are myriad areas where there is improvement in facilities - schools, new shops, better roads, light industrial, hospitals or upgrades to the existing etc to give clues.

Is their somthing you all are missing? perhaps.

Craig

I've looked at investing in Canberra but properties are too expensive.
There is no reason why prices should be so high because
there is plenty of land around and in close proximity to the CBD

After looking around for a bit I gave up.

I've decided to buy in Sydney and I have to say here is expensive as well but there are still affordable suburbs and as you know Sydney has in principle run out of land.

I voted WA. If there was second and third I'd go QLD and TAS.

Yeah, yeah, resources states. Resources are down, but so is everything, and resources are not as down as much as manufacturing [Vic and SA] or financial services [Sydney].

Resources are looking good again as China has shown it has no faith in the US dollar. It's investing in real stuff, and the resource states will benefit. Even grain was up a heap last night.

I see Sydney is popular? Sydney will follow others financially. Sydney has set it self up as the big services city, so it has no choice. Even Newcastle to the north and Illawarra to the south pilfer industrial jobs that Sydney would otherwise get. Sydney would also have the lowest population growth.

See ya's.

Craig

I've looked at investing in Canberra but properties are too expensive.
There is no reason why prices should be so high because
there is plenty of land around and in close proximity to the CBD

After looking around for a bit I gave up.

I've decided to buy in Sydney and I have to say here is expensive as well but there are still affordable suburbs and as you know Sydney has in principle run out of land.
The land around the suburbs is there as part of the pre planning "master plan" legacy left by walter burly griffin, the desighner.
Its these leafy clean open areas that are protected that stops this place being another, soot covered concrete jungle.:)

and plenty of land :)

BV do you think that plenty of land would keep the prices down?
and i know that canberra is a bit cold for some, but it does not , stop other capitals advancing, ie, washington, paris,ottowa,london, the wet/cold seasons and still advancement and capital growth.

I think Tasmania....soooo undervalued in sooooo much of the State. Beautiful, friggin cold in winter, but then so are a lot of places.

Look at Launceston. True, I haev an IP there, but such a nice city, cheap entry costs and heaps of facilities. Easy fly to Melbourne, plenty of space to expand and a lovely climate...Beautiful rivers,fishing, pubs....

I am also thinking rural Victoria. Heaps of cheap houses in places like Ballarat, Horsham, Stawell...if wages don't go up, these places will be flooded with people.

I'm talking capital growth.

I've been looking at purchasing in Bris but the prices in most suburbs seem overpriced. I have identified a couple of suburbs that seem undervalued. I'm a bit concerned prices may drop over coming years so I'll be keeping my eye on market. There's always the odd bargain that comes up too that sells within a few days. Purchase will be more of a lifestyle choice than investment.

I chose Perth. I was a bit concerned my partner only had a years worth of work but a couple of contracts have come up and it looks like he has about 4 yrs of work now.

I agree wtih Topcroppers and Craigb's opinions too.

Except Topcropper I'm curious why you would choose Tas third. I want to have a Tassie IP too for the same reasons HandyAndy888 says. I met an invstor a while back who loves America and has a property there. She spends 6 months of the year in America and the rest in WA. Her hubby works 6 months of the year but will be retiring soon when they finish latest development. Great lifestyle.

I wouldn't mind a Frankston and Kempsey property either.

Last edited:
NSW has been a perennial under performer for a few years now. Historically NSW has lead the upswings in Australia and i suspect this time will be the same.

BV do you think that plenty of land would keep the prices down?
and i know that canberra is a bit cold for some, but it does not , stop other capitals advancing, ie, washington, paris,ottowa,london, the wet/cold seasons and still advancement and capital growth.

Craig

yes I believe that plenty of land will keep prices at bay
sooner or later state governments will release more land, it will happen it's just a matter of time.

Cold? no I don't believe it's an issue but what I'm saying is when something is expensive is not for me. Today's prices are already high and unless you buy cheap IMHO capital gains is questionable.

So why put our money into something which is -ve geared from day 1, and can fall or go sideways for years as Sydney property has done?
Canberra property is barely affordable with todays' low interest rates of 5%
Wait till interest rates start hitting the 9's and 10's and we'll talk again :eek:

It's not just Canberra though, there are plenty of places like that.
Some people mentioned employment.
Who would have thought that the resourses sector would come to a standstill?
That sector will recover, it's just a matter of time just like the finance sector will, but plenty of work is one thing and holding costs to investors and sustainable capital gains is another.

For example, I don't want to be losing money for 10 years before I see any capital gains.
I'd rather wait and put my money in shares when the market turns around.

IMHO

I cann't vote!!! :( There is no ACT!!!

Amazing how the Nations Capital gets overlooked! And you really cann't class us in with NSW - we have a whole different set of regulations and legislation down here, Not to mention a completely different demographic!

I voted Sydney. I wish it would be SA (but this is not a wishlist!) because I have more IPs here, and none in NSW but Sydney and suburbs have been falling for along time and it will start the recovery in another year or so, I'd say but not before all the other states fall a bit more.

I should explain why. My bro-in-law had 10 IPs in Sydney and sold just as prices were falling. He is itching to get back into the market and I bet there are lots of investors like him who have been holding off buying in Sydney esp with the share market not doing so well either. At the slightest sign of recovery, investors will look towards Sydney.

I cann't vote!!! :( There is no ACT!!!

Amazing how the Nations Capital gets overlooked! And you really cann't class us in with NSW - we have a whole different set of regulations and legislation down here, Not to mention a completely different demographic!

Sorry, yer a agree! Can a mod please add ACT? It's a shame the person who set it up can't modify it.

Back