Who buys Reno's?

Hi Kristine.

Thanks for the honest reply.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything.
Yes I am in the industry. I left it a few years ago as I was disillutioned with most of the practises and the pressure from the boss to close deals. I then spent about a year working with companies which supposedly want to help investors, whilst undertaking my own investing activities in property. Most of these companies were nothing more than marketing companies and their methods were of no better than real estate in general.

As a buyer and seller of property, I also became annoyed with the goings on by agents. I got the call from a friend last year to come back as he needed someone with CBD experience. After my own experiences with agents, I figured that it wouldn't be hard to make a living with a different approach. My own experiences enable me to empathise with the public. Subsequently, I know work with a small group of personal clients.
I also buy fix and sell/hold properties.

I had stopped posting on the forum a while back (when it was under its old format) and started once I stumbled across the Value Adding Forum. I do not proclaim to be an expert, and have learn't much from many of the postings.

One thing that I do not want to encourage is business from the forum. Quite frankly, I don't need the headaches. Imagine if a member wasn't happy and decided to tell everyone!
My contribution is purely as an investor and as someone who has been around a long time and seen some amazing things. If I can offer an insight for others as to the industry, then I will do so.

When posting views, I have always tried to present both sides of the coin, and as an insider, give others a view of not only what goes on, but suggest how to tackle the issue to their advantage.

I acknowledge that some postings are contentious, but I love to stir the pot, and hopefully create some robust debate.
Any examples quoted are based on actual experiences, and I do have a passion for exposing some half truths. I have nothing to gain from being percieved as an idiot or liar as some have suggested.

It has nothing to do with denigrating others. In fact I believe that the bad apples need to be weeded out and the good ones supported. This extends from an episode 11 years ago when my supposed best friend nearly sent me bankrupt. Since then, I have a disdain for people who rip other people off. Hence my moral dilemna in real estate.

You will note in other postings that I also advise to do your own research and to never trust anyone. This doesn't make me a cynic, as I have a great faith in human nature generally. It is the bad minority that we must be vigilant against. Not all agents, advocates, seminar presenters are bad, but most are and I can fully understand people's disgust.

I congratulate you on your principled approach to life. Your optimism shoud act as inspiration to others on the forum who have become jaded by the whole "Investment Industry". These are great rules to live by, and I have found your reply quite uplifting on a Sunday arvo.

Sincerely yours,
Sam.

Sorry if this bores the others or makes them nauseus, but I'm not sure where else to post this sort of reply.

Sam

What a lovely post!

Your sincerity is welcome, and no-one could be bored by reading your straightforward and honest post.

But let me tell you a little storey ...

I am the proverbial little ray of sunshine. I earnestly try to see the best in everybody, and the silver lining to any cloud which rains on me.

All the trades working with me on this reno have been regaled with tales of how beautiful everything will be, and I walk them all over the site pointing out the wonderful bits and pieces and how clever everybody is.

However, this past week I've been in a nit picky mood, and when one chap arrived, instead of showing him everything that had been done since his last visit, I showed him the faults of someone else's work.

How do you think this affected him? Was he happy to be there, hearing me complain about someone else? Did he join in the whinge? No. He left after only a short time. No doubt, uncomfortable with having to hear criticism of someone whom he had met (so possibly feeling disloyal to them), and dissapointed with my reactions. And will he give so unreservedly of himself next time, or will he hold something back as a defense against my possible criticism of him? Will I talk behind his back, too?

I, too, have been 'done like a dinner' at various times in my life. But if I go around thinking that the next person is just a 'con man', who misses out? Me!!

So next time this lovely and skilled tradesman comes to the site, I will apologise to him, and accept the responsibility for my own actions. My action of allowing poor quality work to be accepted by me on the day, and my action of weakly speaking against someone when the matter is private and between them and me only.

Sam, whenever the urge to be a Crusader comes upon me (which it does, often) I recall the air safety instructions of putting on my own oxygen mask first. I am no help to others, lying unconscious in the aisle.

And I am no help in promoting better quality, higher standards and all round encouragement to others unless I can do that from a position of strength.

Whinging does me no credit, and certainly does not denote a position of strength.

And having met significant numbers of estate agents over the years, both as employers, work mates, property managers, sales agents, and while working as an advocate, let me say that with very few exceptions they have been pleasant, helpful, hard working people usually working long hours when everyone else is having their tea or out for a Sunday drive. That some will be more knowledgeable or diligent than others does not bear comment, as so it is with every occupation. Remember, it aint easy dealing with strangers every day and most do a pretty good job overall.

So I thank you again for your reply. And it is my turn to apologise if this sounds like the 'Sermon on the Mount'. I am probably writing more for my benefit than for yours!!

I wish you a beautiful, peaceful and profitable week

Cheers

Kristine

Back