Who has IP(s) in Adelaide/SA?

Do you own an IP in Adelaide/SA?

• I have an IP(s) in Adelaide.

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • I have an IP(s) in country SA.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I have IP's in Adelaide and country SA.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I am considering Adelaide/SA for my next IP.

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With the recent increases, and expected (by some including myself) boom in Adelaide/SA - I'd be interested to know how many SS'ers are coming along for the ride?

Last edited:
Good post. Just in our agency we have seen a huge influx of interstate investors buying in Adelaide. Infact most of our landlord clients are interstate, that's telling us something!

There's no option for "no... don't have any IP's in SA", so I don't qualify for any of the options...
maybe I should consider:D
Steve

Hi Steve,

Strongly considering Adelaide for next IP. Sitting on a bit of spare equity and pay rise expected at work within next 2 months. I will hopefully do the trip over there in Nov/Dec - looking forward to it!

Chris

There's no option for "no... don't have any IP's in SA", so I don't qualify for any of the options...
maybe I should consider:D
Steve

Well there's an easy solution so you can post a vote :p :D

Hi Steve,

Strongly considering Adelaide for next IP. Sitting on a bit of spare equity and pay rise expected at work within next 2 months. I will hopefully do the trip over there in Nov/Dec - looking forward to it!

Chris

Cool Chris, let us know what you think of lil 'ol Adelaide ;)

Saw in today's Australian: Adelaide unit prices up an average of 21% in last X years. Not sure what's driving it - can it just be the mining? Made me think I'll have to get my SA IPs valued. Could be time for a bit of a plunge again.

Cool Chris, let us know what you think of lil 'ol Adelaide ;)

I have been there quite a few times, I have relos there. Mainly spent time in the hills (Blackwood/Hawthorndene area) and Glenelg...but looking forward to casting a more diligent eye over the inner northern suburbs.

Chris

Done:)... I might start looking in the areas near the BHP Olympic Dam project then (Roxby downs, I think)

Yeah Roxby's done well recently and still going gangbusters from what I've heard. Definitely a shortage in accomodation for all the workers, and the work force will be increasing with the expansion. Yield's are'nt fantastic from memory (about 5% last time I looked) but good capital growth would make up for it.

aren't more people leaving adelaide than actually going there

doesn't affect prices - so long as enough investors who see Adelaide as cheap buy the price goes up.

People who read this thread are interested in Adelaide so the vote is already skewed from any kind of random decent sample.

South Australia is hardly overcrowded, almost everyone can afford a decent house with not much work. Wages are still low here and will not support higher rents with our low density. Everyone has empty bedrooms and people could always increase household density to keep costs down.

By reach I mean how much rents would have to be to justify current prices, which I believe to be 80-200% in only a few years (the longer you wait the more holding costs you'd have to make) wages will just not support it - in short I believe anyone who is buying for capital gains is going to lose money.

Are there any cashflow positive places left? Negative gearing is a compensation for being in the position where if is ever cheaper to buy than to rent then negative is what describes your equity. Beware.

I believe investors with lots of equity are just dying to spend it, irrespective of what the yields are. What better place than property. Afterall, thats where they made it, has to keep going up...

aren't more people leaving adelaide than actually going there :confused:

Wasp, true, there is still migration of SA workers to NSW/VIC etc., but overall our population is still increasing, but at a slower rate than other states (I think about 0.5% from memory). We also have a fair bit of immigration which increases our numbers as well.

There are also people from interstate making the move to Adelaide due to the lifestlye and lower cost of living expenses, as well as for jobs in the growing defence industry here (lot of new people working in the Port Adelaide area with the new destroyer contracts etc.)

If you want more info, check out this link:

http://dataserver.planning.sa.gov.au/publications/1173p.pdf

Back