Who pays for water consumption in Logan?

I'm about to sign a contract for an IP in Logan. I've just received a copy of the rates notice. The total quarterly bill was $753 (YIKES!), but included in that was a Water Consumption charge of $118. Does the tenant pay the water consumption (i.e. We pay it first then the PM forwards the notice on to the tenant for payment)? If so that would bring it down to about $635 out of pocket which sounds more reasonable. I'm aware of Qld's high rates but I thought $753 was a bit over the top.

if the property is above the 3.5 Star water rating the tenant pays the full water consumption.

if you have duel flush toilets its worth doing and should cost between $88 and $120 to get changed over and have a certificate provided

+ the lease agreement you get your tenants to sign needs to state they are required to pay for water.

In NSW, water consumption can be passed to the tenant as long as the tenant's consumption can be measured. In a single house this is usually not a problem. If tenants shared a water meter though, for instance with strata titled units, each tenant's consumption cannot be measured to the cost cannot be passed on. I assume similar would apply in Queensland.

In NSW, water consumption can be passed to the tenant as long as the tenant's consumption can be measured. In a single house this is usually not a problem. If tenants shared a water meter though, for instance with strata titled units, each tenant's consumption cannot be measured to the cost cannot be passed on. I assume similar would apply in Queensland.

Unfortunately for me it seems you are correct, and confirmed with the agent:

"we can only charge for water when the property is individually metered, which townhouses generally aren?t, including this one."

Then my question is how do they ascertain the itemised charges of
$12.78
+ $33.84
+ $19.23
+ $53.06
= $118.91

Hi jaspn,
I'm not familiar with water consumption qld.

With the above breakdown,aren't there an explanation for each charge?
Why not call or email the water authority for a explanation on breakdown costs?

Qld buyers get a raw deal when it comes to the high costs associated with an ip.

I'm shell shocked that there is no separate meter in a townhouse.

Sorry i'm not much help,

Cheers Spades.

in Logan, Tenant pays the water as long as its deemed efficient, and it can be metered,

Townhouses should be metered as well

as for those charges, anything to with "access" or "service" you are responsible for

I believe the landlord wears the first 25kL per quarter and excess is charged to the tenant.

The definitive word from this agent is that the owner foots the bill. The complex is on one meter, so the council simply divides the entire bill by 20 (20 units in complex) and that's what you pay.

jaspn,that's ridiculous...would it be worth asking body corp/strata for separate meters?

would need to be voted and passed, with each owner most likely having to contribute(doubt BC would have the surplus funds). With 20 units would be a stretch.

A townhouse block we were a part of done this about 10 years ago and each owner need to pitch in about $300-$400. Getting a majority of owners to agree to this in a 20 unti block where a lot might not be investors and therefore don't care too much I think would be difficult

would need to be voted and passed, with each owner most likely having to contribute(doubt BC would have the surplus funds). With 20 units would be a stretch.

A townhouse block we were a part of done this about 10 years ago and each owner need to pitch in about $300-$400. Getting a majority of owners to agree to this in a 20 unti block where a lot might not be investors and therefore don't care too much I think would be difficult

It would be in the interest of an investor to vote in favour. If the usage is over $100 a quarter then it'd take less than a year for that initial cost to pay itself off.

Hi cmason,
I realize the water meters would have to be voted in at next BC meet but worth the ask.
1 meter for 20 units,that seriously is wrong and stupid.

Cheers Spades.

It would be in the interest of an investor to vote in favour. If the usage is over $100 a quarter then it'd take less than a year for that initial cost to pay itself off.

correct, but what percentage are investors/owner occupiers? This is where the majority might sway as a owner occupier there isn't a lot of benefit

With the above breakdown,aren't there an explanation for each charge?

In full -

Council Water Consumption Charge | 14.20 @ 0.8993 | 12.78
State Govt Bulk Water Charge | 14.20 @ 2.3828 | 33.84
Council Water Consumption Charge | 20.19 @ 0.9533 | 19.23
State Govt Bulk Water Charge | 20.19 @ 2.6280 | 53.06

correct, but what percentage are investors/owner occupiers? This is where the majority might sway as a owner occupier there isn't a lot of benefit

I don't know the ratio. It's a neat unit and one of the best out of the 13 I inspected, so it could have a fair deal of O/O.

I just got off the phone with Logan CC. Water consumption for this time last year was almost half. They said it could be two things: A water leak somewhere, or tenants being careless or even overcrowding in units (10+ people).

If it's the latter then again it's in any owners (investor or O/O) interest to install the meters. They said having a shared meter like this one is very rare - most units have individual meters in Logan. I guess there's no harm in raising the issue with the BC but I'd be foolish to expect anything.

Imo both investors/owner occupiers would have a vested interest in separate metering.
Who wants to pay for water for what they don't use?

Cheers Spades.

Imo both investors/owner occupiers would have a vested interest in separate metering.
Who wants to pay for water for what they don't use?

Cheers Spades.

How do you know your water usage is going to be less than unit block/20? You might pay for the separate meter and find out you actually use more than what the average of the unit block was and therefore end up having a bigger water bill after forking out your $300. As an owner occupier would need to be a big difference between your usage and unit block average to get your money back which is why I think they would be less likely to agree.

How do you know your water usage is going to be less than unit block/20? You might pay for the separate meter and find out you actually use more than what the average of the unit block was and therefore end up having a bigger water bill after forking out your $300. As an owner occupier would need to be a big difference between your usage and unit block average to get your money back which is why I think they would be less likely to agree.

I don't know the ratio on investors/occupiers but i would have funked that tenants knowing there is only 1 meter,would take advantage but i maybe wrong.

Personally i would go to a body corp meet and ramming the message home re:tenants usage and sway the occupiers in jaspn's favor.

If all townies were separately metered,i wouldn't find it unjust to pay in real time,be it higher or lower.

Cheers Spades.

Back