who pays re-letting fee

hey all have just re-let the housr in ipswich after the tenant was evicted for non payment of rent.

just got the monthly statment and pm has charged as letting fee.

she has also included the bill she sent onto the previous tenant, which also includes the letting fee. isnt this double dipping?

From what i can gather from REIQ and the office of fair trading is that the pm can charge the tenant, nowhere can i find where it says the landlord is to pay the re letting fee.

It is....assuming there is a Lease ...I think you will found there has been a clerical error. The program she uses probably inserts the Letting Fee under some New Tenant Code.

Just call and point out their error.

Regards JO

Last edited:
From what i can gather from REIQ and the office of fair trading is that the pm can charge the tenant, nowhere can i find where it says the landlord is to pay the re letting fee.

Can you point me to this please?

I have always been under the impression that the LL pays for re-let, unless in a lease break situation.

Dave

it was actually the rta i got some info.

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/faq_ending_a_tenancy.cfm?item=70.00

But this relates to tenant terminating agreement, where as they only breached their agreement and were asked to leave.

anyway, the PM is demanding the re-letting fee from the previous tenant (i have this in writing) , so surely cant bill me for the same thing, thats double dipping.

Also, is the previuos tenant also liable for the shortfall of rent until the end of their origina lease as we had to drop the rent $20pw.

We wouldn't charge the landlord in that case, but i can see where some agency might charge it initially and then re-emburse if it is recovered from the tenant or through insurance. I would just drop them an email or call and ask. but they definately shouldnt get it twice

My PM hasn't charged me for those incidences in the past if it's still within the year they put the tenant in (and therefore a letting fee has already been paid for that year) - but that just may be their policy, or how they treat me individually etc. I don't know if they chase the old tenant for the fee though.

Depends.....

First of all you say that the tenant was termintated because of rental arrears - if that was the case then the tenant does not pay re-let fees - the landlord does.

If the tenant broke the lease - that is gave notice and vacated the property prior to the end of the fixed term the tenant is liable for all rent up to a new tenant is located or until the lease period had expired, the tenant would also be responsible for all assoitiated cost in relation to finding the replacement tenant including re-let fees and advertising.

I don't see how the agent can charge both the tenant and the agent for re-let fees - you need to discuss this with your PM

The PM will normally charge the landlord the letting fee immediately. The PM will then go through the lengthy process of attempting to recover this from the tenant and/or tenant's bond. This is assuming the tenant is required to pay in this situation. If the tenant is required to pay, they may only be required to pay pro-rata eg if they've been there six months the tribunal may decide they should only have to pay half the fee.

For many months you will eagerly open your statements hoping to see a credit for the letting fee finally recovered from the tenant. Eventually, you may receive something but don't hold your breath if there is not enough bond money to cover everything. The PM will very rarely if ever waive the fee because the tenant won't pay.

Back