Who pays the gas service fee?

We have been charged by PM the annual service fee for gas but my interpretation of the regulations is that if we have gas for hot water then the tenant should pay?

12 Additional charges payable by landlord: s 40 (1) (h) of Act

A landlord must pay any charges for the availability of a gas supply to the residential premises if:
(a) the premises do not have any appliances, supplied by the landlord, for which gas is required, and
(b) the tenant does not use gas supplied to the premises for any purpose.

What do others do?

Thanks
Sheryn

The annual "service fee" is normally listed along side the usage or "consumption charge" and is paid by the tenants, and for the reasons you've correctly stipulated above.

what the hell is an annual service fee ?

every 2 months the gas company sends me a bill and I pay it at my house.

I assume my tenants do the same, I certainly do not see any gas bill for my investment properties (oir phone bill, or electricity bill or foxtel either ?)

what else is there ?

what the hell is an annual service fee ?

every 2 months the gas company sends me a bill and I pay it at my house.

I assume my tenants do the same, I certainly do not see any gas bill for my investment properties (oir phone bill, or electricity bill or foxtel either ?)

what else is there ?

I haven't seen this charge before...

on our Owners Statement it says gas bottles - service charge (General maintenace) $44.00 and when I asked about it PM said that it was an annual check.

Also on another Owners Statement it says service charge - gas cyclinder (General maintenance) $55.00 this place was brand new with gas bottles installed and locked prior to tenant taking over.

Anyway have rung PM and he will ring Fair Trading and ask as he thought it was like water bill - we have to pay service charge and tenants pay consumption.

Cheers
Sheryn

I haven't seen this charge before...

on our Owners Statement it says gas bottles - service charge (General maintenace) $44.00 and when I asked about it PM said that it was an annual check.

Also on another Owners Statement it says service charge - gas cyclinder (General maintenance) $55.00 this place was brand new with gas bottles installed and locked prior to tenant taking over.

Anyway have rung PM and he will ring Fair Trading and ask as he thought it was like water bill - we have to pay service charge and tenants pay consumption.

Cheers
Sheryn

So the PM doesn't know if it's an annual service charge or not, but they figured they would tell you it is :confused:

If the gas is bottled then ll pays maintenance and servicing/certifications. Tenant pays usage. The bottles are part of the premises.

Our enquiries with the OFT into this have come back advising that if the gas is bottled gas the Landlord pays for the supply of the gas bottles and the tenant pays for having them refilled.

But we could call again next week with same question and get a different answer......

Residential Tenancies Act 2010 for NSW

40 Payment of rates, taxes and certain utility charges by landlord

(1) A landlord must pay the following charges for the residential premises:

(a) rates, taxes or charges payable under any Act (other than charges payable by the tenant under this Division),

(b) the installation costs and charges for initial connection to the residential premises of an electricity, water, gas, bottled gas or oil supply service,

(c) all charges for the supply of electricity, gas (except bottled gas) or oil to the tenant at the residential premises that are not separately metered,

(d) the costs and charges for the supply or hire of gas bottles for the supply of bottled gas at the commencement of the tenancy,

(e) all charges (other than water usage charges) in connection with a water supply service to separately metered residential premises,

(f) all charges in connection with a water supply service to residential premises that are not separately metered,

(g) all charges for the supply of sewerage services (other than for pump out septic services) or the supply or use of drainage services to the residential premises,

(h) any other charges prescribed by the regulations.

I rang NSW Fair trading and they said that if the building is not supplied by gas bottled, then the owner should pay for the gas service charges for the property in the Strata.

I am renting here, the PM said: you pay the bill and do not contact me for bills.

Under the Act, quoting above, point c in particular:

Residential Tenancies Act 2010 for NSW
40 Payment of rates, taxes and certain utility charges by landlord
(1) A landlord must pay the following charges for the residential premises:

'(c) all charges for the supply of electricity, gas (except bottled gas) or oil to the tenant at the residential premises that are not separately metered,.."

It looks to me that I should charge back the PM/Landlord for this?
On my bills, gas for example, I have a line for consumption and a line for service charge to property.

It looks like NSW FT officer did not inform me well as we have separate meter, but

Confusing.

Last edited:
Yes that was I read well in in the Act. and that was I was informed the meters are.
What I don't get is the following:
Some pay for the service charge in their bills and some don't, same strata, 128 flats.
See an owner occupier bill: no charge, tenant: floor up: charge

Gas only for hot water:
Scenarios:
1/ 1 person Gas MJs consumption 1 shower/day, 1/4 kitchen sink per night, quarterly bill: over 2000 MJs - add service charge $45 per quater
2/ Same floor, 2 owner occupier showers, hot water running during washing up, warm water washing machine: same MJs !
3/ Floor down, with no service charge, 3 to 5 people per quarter (2 elec engineers!) : showers, dishwasher, w machine: 380 to 500 MJs per quarter! no service charge!

Result: it is the looser (1) who have to call and pay for the plumber, are there 128 scenarios? :D

Back