Who Pays Water Usage?

On my water bills I have charges for Water usage and I asked the water company if I was meant to be paying this or the tenant. They said normally the tenant pays it in a house but as I have an apartment it might be different.

So with apartments, the tenant does not pay for water usage but the owner does?

Is there a separate meter?

I rented an apartment, had a separate meter and I paid for water usage.
Another apartment, one owner for the entire block no separate meter and owner paid for water usage.

Is there a separate meter?

I rented an apartment, had a separate meter and I paid for water usage.
Another apartment, one owner for the entire block no separate meter and owner paid for water usage.

I'm not sure really. How would I find out, would I have to go and look at the place?

I'm not sure really. How would I find out, would I have to go and look at the place?

Just ring the water company

This is certainly the case in Vic, our first IP was in a block of townhouses which had one meter and we were paying for usage. Then the owners through the body corporate paid to have separate meters installed for which now the tenant pays for usage

Hi house sale,

We queried ours in Qld.

On the back of the bill under meter reading, there's a 'Boundary meter' charge or a 'something else' charge (can't remember what the other one's called).

If it's smiliar to Qld, & your bill says Boundary meter then it's not seperately metered & you'll have to pay the water usage.

Hope that helped :)
Regards,
M&M

The apartment will most likely have a seperate meter. I have properties in Melbourne and Perth and all are seperately metered.

The tenant pays for water usage. Call the Water Co. and have bills sent to the property manager.

The pm said the meters are not seperated so I have to pay for the water usage. I was told to look at the back of the bill where it says Unit Entitlement and that means it is shared.

I guess this is something that should be considered when setting rent prices in the future.

I suggest you have this matter addressed at the next AGM. You should only need majority vote to have it carried. Get quotes before hand and distribute to owners with the agenda.

Back