Who pays??

I have a problem with dry rot in an internal wall and door jam of a unit. Who pays for the repair the body corporate or me?
It has been caused by water getting past the shower curtain not a leaking shower once fixed I will probably fit a shower screen to prevent it happening again.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.
Darryl

Darryl
This is yours to pay. Anything inside your 4 walls is yours to fix any common area is the body corp.
Hope this helps
andrew

It really depends on the strata agreement. In some, you own from the paint inwards, in others, the internal walls are yours too.

Call up your strata agents and ask.

Jas

Natmarie

The shower screen is considered part of the fixtures & fittings and therefore part of the structure of the building.

There was a thread a week or so ago when the subject of showers was discussed at length.

If a screen breaks, thats usually covered by insurance.

Splashing because the shower curtain is not tucked into the recess properly is either wear and tear, or carelessness (take your pick) and would not be covered by insurance. However, if the drain was blocked and the water overflowed the recess basin, that would probably be covered!

Structure is one circumstance: wear & tear, accident, negligence etc are other circumstances and these 'rules' would apply whether a building is independent freehold or part of a subdivision.

Cheers

Kristine

Back