Grizzle about plumber

Agent couldnt contact me so organised an emergency plumber. Problem supposed to be a leaking ceramic washer. Townhouse only 6yo. Plumber has come in taken off the taps and replaced them with cheap alternatives because he said it was too hard to work out which ceramic washer it was (I have the exact ones in my filing cabinet but obviously that doesnt help) Then he replaced the shower rose because he said the tenants said it was not putting out enough water. Then he reckons the shower was actually leaking out through the back of the wall and wetting the carpet in the bedroom so he had to reseal the shower base. Still waiting for the bill. Am absolutely furious with plumbers who just go ahead and take the tenants orders. On the other hand will have to go and inspect the damage to see whether there actually was wet carpet and if there is mould. rant over!

I feel your pain. Tell the real estate agent that you will pay only for that portion of the invoice related to the work requested. The rest will have to be borne by the tenant or by the plumber. In saying that, I have had this happen to me and have just worn the cost to save any angst.

Agent couldnt contact me so organised an emergency plumber. Problem supposed to be a leaking ceramic washer. Townhouse only 6yo. Plumber has come in taken off the taps and replaced them with cheap alternatives because he said it was too hard to work out which ceramic washer it was (I have the exact ones in my filing cabinet but obviously that doesnt help) Then he replaced the shower rose because he said the tenants said it was not putting out enough water. Then he reckons the shower was actually leaking out through the back of the wall and wetting the carpet in the bedroom so he had to reseal the shower base. Still waiting for the bill. Am absolutely furious with plumbers who just go ahead and take the tenants orders. On the other hand will have to go and inspect the damage to see whether there actually was wet carpet and if there is mould. rant over!

You could ask your property manager about their policies with regards to work orders. It should be in writing and specified what needs to be done (such as replacing the leaking washer). If it was issued in writing, there can be hardly any misunderstanding what needed to be done. Any additional charge due to tenant's request (shower rose) can be passed onto them as I presume it was neither urgent nor authorised by you.

Then he replaced the shower rose because he said the tenants said it was not putting out enough water. Then he reckons the shower was actually leaking out through the back of the wall and wetting the carpet in the bedroom so he had to reseal the shower base. Still waiting for the bill. !

Look at it from the Plumbers side, with the call out fee for just a leaking tap replacement and most new Asian made are throw aways once they leak,it would have been under 300 bucks,but I would also say the Plumber may have also saved you a lot of money with the carpets walls from the leak in the shower base ,,white ants termites loves that setup ,or as I used to say in the Plumbing Game it's like Archaeology the deeper you dig the more you find..

and why isn't the leaky shower covered under the waterproofing warranties?
Did you get the old taps and rose back?

I have grumbled about these to my plumber where he replaced the not cheap 1/4 turn ceramic disc yaps with washered taps (aged residents), he brought the taps back.

Back