Whoah!! - Massive LMI changes are imminent!!

[Not sure if others have reported this yet but there are massive changes to the LVR's and also maximum amounts for at least 1 major LMI provider. This has affected Westpac due to their Insurer and I presume it will affect other banks also.

In a nutshell, the LMI provider has tightened up on where they will insure and recategorised properties and reduced maximum amounts covered. Properties in many regional and country areas will now not get any LMI cover.

Perhaps one of the brokers here can elaborate but my understanding is;

Brisbane/Melbourne - Maximum amount covered $450K, LVR ok up to probably 90%+.

Adelaide/Darwin/Hobart - Max covered $350K, LVR ok to 90%+

Sydney - Max covered $500K - LVR ok to 90%+

THE HUGE CHANGE
Many mining towns and regional towns are NO LONGER COVERED by this insurer. This is big as it means a property I could have bought recently on 10% deposit (+'vely geared), will now require 30% deposit.

The regional towns and country areas that are still covered by the LMI provider have also had the amounts covered reduced massively.

Properties are categorised as something like cat1 (Capital city metro), cat2 (regional), cat3 (country towns) etc etc. Places I thought may be covered such as Mount Isa are now categorised as HIGH RISK or single industry towns. These apear to be no longer insured and banks will likely require 30% deposit.

Surely this will affect many regional and mining towns in a very negative way as sales volumes are likely to drop due buyers not being able to get the leverage they may need to buy.

Anyone else got some more or different info on this topic???.

Last edited:
[Not sure if others have reported this yet but there are massive changes to the LVR's and also maximum amounts for at least 1 major LMI provider. This has affected Westpac due to their Insurer and I presume it will affect other banks also.

I thought that Westpac self-insured? Is this no longer the case???

Cheers
LynnH

I thought that Westpac self-insured? Is this no longer the case???

Cheers
LynnH

My understanding is that the 2 LMI providers are the only ones that provide LMI even to the major ones. The difference is that the majors like Westpac do all the paper work checking themselves (I'm happy to be corrected though).

sort of old news

LMI providers are looking to lower their downside risks.

We are getting close to the saner times of the early 2000s

ta
rolf

Surely this will affect many regional and mining towns in a very negative way as sales volumes are likely to drop due buyers not being able to get the leverage they may need to buy.
Yes it should have big impact if 30% deposit is required now on. I wonder where we can get a list of towns and cities with rankings for this?

One way to put a positive spin on this is to see it as guidance. If the big MI's are lowering their risk of claims by avoiding high LVR's in country & mining towns and only insuring high LVR's in major metro - what is that telling us?

Surely that will put most country towns and smaller regionals OFF the shopping lists for many investors.

What will that do to values in these towns?
Indeed what will it do for investor demand in the cities?
Will this channel all the loan funds into a few major centres, thus increasing demand there?:eek:

Interesting.....what Bill Zheng's crystal balling is starting to crystize??

Will be interesting what happens on the Commercial Property front?

Given that commercial property seems to require 20-30% usually, more may be required now. However I think it will be area driven - capital cities much higher LVR's.

I think the point that someone made about regional/mining town potential sales being directed towards capital cities instead is very credible and fairly likely.

Personally I think it may be wise to pay 20% deposit anyway in the current market on most purchases with perhaps less on the lower risk bottom of the market capital city type properties.

It will be interesting to see if the 2 "real" LMI companies follow Westpacs lead - or have they already been tightening recently?.

Back