whos fault?

Quick scenario:

A property I have requires me to maintain the lawns and gardens for $60 a month

Over the past 2 statements I have realised the lawn guy has started doing lawns twice a month for a total of $120

Clearly the lawn guy either a) forgot or b) is trying to be dodgy and squeeze more work in the hopes nobody realises...

The lawn guy invoices the PM direct and $60 gets deducted from my account every month...

Since now I am down $120, I am looking to blame somebody and get my money back but cant figure out if the property manager has the blame as they should be managing my property properly and realising there are suddenly 2 invoices per month

what are you thoughts?

Who is the mowing contractor meant to be invoicing - you or the PM agency?

Pay one bill only (and direct the PM not to pay for a month either) but query it with the contractor & the PM as the why the change?

PM shouldve picked it up and dealt with it before paying it. And do you have it in writing for the guy to do it only once a month?

Have you contacted the PM or the lawn guy about it? It is possible that the lawns needed to be done more than once a month at this time of year. Even if that is the case it should have been cleared with you first.

Assuming that your PM arranged the works for you they should have sent the trade a work order in writing, if they have done this then the work order would specify once a month. Approach your PM, ask them to get your money back from the lawn maintenance company. See how that goes and work your way from there would be my suggestion :).

If your PM manages 200 + properties it is unfortunate but they may not have picked up on it, some offices also have an accountant entering the invoices. Do your statement display the invoice numbers? It is possibly just a double up of the same invoice :).

I agree with the above comments, get this agreement in writing and signed by all parties - Agent, You and Contractor. Everyone knows where they stand.

ALso be specific about putting this in the lease (signed by tenants); don't say lawns mowed say: Lawns will be cut once per month and anything more is a tenants responsibility (for example).

Just one note, lawns typically grow faster in different times of the year so my agreements that I've done incorporate faster growing seasons where there may be 2 mows per month.

Sometimes the tenants can call the contractor to mow the lawns if it has grown quickly so you need to keep on top of that. However I do feel sorry for some tenants how have paid the extra dollars and agreed within the lease that lawns are mowed when they sometimes dont get mowed enough in some periods. As I said above make it specific in the lease - than tenants also know where they stand.

I've always found if people (Agent, Owner and Tenant - which I am all 3 as we speak) know where they stand and the procedure that will happen everyone is happy.

Double check your statement for last month, it could have been missed or he went on the 1st of the month, then check the next statement, maybe invoice went in early?

Back