Who's next after Holden..

How are they paying for their things.
Are they on welfare of some sort or are they self funded retirees?

This is a town of about 200. Houses rent for about $150 a week. Some were born here but most have come from elsewhere. Lots of little rural towns seem to have unemployed people in them. Plenty of work about, but these people are happy getting the dole. Probably not married, so getting 2 doles, 3 or 4 kids, get all the other benefits whatever they are. Live enough kilometres from a centrelink so as they don't have to turn up to explain why they don't have a job. Brew their own beer. Grow some veges, as house blocks are about an acre. Maybe do the odd bit of work for cash. Breed dogs or birds or something?

They do OK. All have a car, all eat well, drink well.

See ya's.

So in other words, a drain on the tax payers and possibly tax cheats (cash in hand jobs)

I'm not saying they aren't nice people.

So in other words, a drain on the tax payers and possibly tax cheats (cash in hand jobs)

That's the good part about Australia even the people that live in the parks that lose their brain functions and too proud to take sit-down money will never go hungry and it's clearly a very complex system,,you see the "Convict-Streak"everyday if you look..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNviFAVFvJE&list=RDkNviFAVFvJE

Most families in Australia are a drain on the public purse, even some taxpayers are a drain.
The way our transfer system operates is if you add up the family cash social benefits, subsidised health, education and childcare available to families then only 40% of households pay more tax than they receive in assistance.

The industry deserves to go. It is dead weight period.

The money spent on propping it up would be better spent fixing our **** hospitals in NSW and Victoria. Last time I went after an emergency car accident, I waited 6 hours to have my broken arm checked or plastered.

the PAYG and other taxes spun off by the industry compensated for direct subsidies. we now have a massive hole in the economy and a bunch of welfare recipients that need to be mothered, most of which have zero prospect of finding alternative employment. a double whammy - slow down in resources in the west, obliteration of manufacturing in the east. tough days indeed, the future prospects for this country are bleak. The libs have decided to undertake a risky operation on the economy rather than use medicines, I hope this pays off.... hold on because 22 years of growth is looking to be the end of this ride.

also I had high hopes that car prices here may finally halve to the levels of the US but it seems the gouging will continue - GM have already said they will keep prices the same as they are, not that there is really anything comparable. an article I read today says we are getting a 4 cyl fwd commodore from china... shoot me now

an article I read today says we are getting a 4 cyl fwd commodore from china... shoot me now

I think at the peak there was 90,000 commodores sold a year.

I'd reckon they'd only sell a few hundred Chinese, 4 cylinder front wheel drive commodores.

See ya's.

an article I read today says we are getting a 4 cyl fwd commodore from china... shoot me now

....and sometimes the articles contradict themselves so much that the whole story makes no sense.

Here's this SMH journalist from Jan 2013 with his sub-headline ;

"Australians bought more new cars last year than ever before, but they shunned locally built makes, pushing the nation's car industry closer to the brink."​

and then a few paragraphs down, quotes his first expert saying

"FCAI chief executive Tony Weber said "Three of the top ten are also built locally, dispelling any suggestion that our domestic manufacturers aren?t producing cars that Australians want to buy"​

Well, which one is it ??

Read more....

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/4wds-lead-car-sales-to-record-highs-20130104-2c850.html

....and sometimes the articles contradict themselves so much that the whole story makes no sense.

Here's this SMH journalist from Jan 2013 with his sub-headline ;

"Australians bought more new cars last year than ever before, but they shunned locally built makes, pushing the nation's car industry closer to the brink."​

and then a few paragraphs down, quotes his first expert saying

"FCAI chief executive Tony Weber said "Three of the top ten are also built locally, dispelling any suggestion that our domestic manufacturers aren?t producing cars that Australians want to buy"​

Well, which one is it ??

Read more....

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/4wds-lead-car-sales-to-record-highs-20130104-2c850.html

The market share of Australian produced cars is lower. There is always going to non-Australian cars in the top 10. But they used to have a much lower market share than they do now.

The Falcon has dropped completely off the top 10 list.

This immediately reminds me of the climate of the USA we discovered when we moved there in 2005.

Until that time, I never really knew much about their economy and habits, other than our news on tv... watching a school/mall shooting every other day. :rolleyes:

We were astounded at the advertising there - almost every single ad break on the teev was cars, mobile phones, and medicines for various ailments we all get.

Then it became apparent that there were a bazillion newer cars zooming around (we bought an older Honda Accord for cash).

Then it became apparent that there were cities almost empty of people, and full of jobless folks because the car industries had left the building in those areas.

Then it became apparent that all these cars were being bought on almost zero interest finance....

Then you would watch Dr. Phil, and regularly see him trying to rescue families/couples whose finances were so bad, they were about to lose their house and everything...consumerism gone mad...low-interest rate car or three of course; meanwhile the cities were still dying and unemployment was rife.

Are we heading down the same path?

I believe so; from what I see going on around us....even if folks reckon the economy is terrific. It may well be in some sections.

Last edited:
The market share of Australian produced cars is lower. There is always going to non-Australian cars in the top 10. But they used to have a much lower market share than they do now.

The Falcon has dropped completely off the top 10 list.

I think the gist of the article (without delving into the actual statistics to prove it) is saying that Australians bought more cars than they ever have but the extra cars they bought were imports.

In Brisbane at Moorooka-Magic-Mile there is one non-Australian Made car dealer that has several brand-new small motor auto I think 1200cc for 14k with 2 k drive away with cash-back with a service deal also,how can any Australian company win with those numbers,Why the higher levels of Government did not see this happening 10 years ago is above me,and this is only the start..imho..

The industry deserves to go. It is dead weight period.

The money spent on propping it up would be better spent fixing our **** hospitals in NSW and Victoria. Last time I went after an emergency car accident, I waited 6 hours to have my broken arm checked or plastered.

Totally agree....Another example,Had a mate who looks after his mother,called an ambo 2 days ago after she had another fall and split her head open...Took them over an hour to get there...He's in Beaumaris and the ambo had to come from dandenong:rolleyes:

Obviously a shortage and his mother was made to be put in a queue due to priority.
Next time he's going to tell them she's in a worser state,so he can get up the list.

Sad state of affairs imo.

Cheers Spades.

Can definitely comment about Germany. Most unskilled people make less than 20k Euro before taxes....but cost of living on most parts (exceptions are Munich and Franfurst) is lower. Even executives have much lower salaries than Australia.

Japan I understand is very similar to Germany.

Here is a good comparion...a Lufthansa flight attendand is on aobut $25-30k Euro or about $39-46k Australian.

Meanwhile Australian Flight attendand incuding allowances are about 80-90k Qantas and 50-70k (Virgin/Jetstar).

http://www.be-lufthansa.com/fileadm...s/B9_1_Flugbegleiter/LH_E_FlightAttendant.pdf

are they really that much more than germany and japan?

Last edited:
Totally agree....Another example,Had a mate who looks after his mother,called an ambo 2 days ago after she had another fall and split her head open...Took them over an hour to get there...He's in Beaumaris and the ambo had to come from dandenong:rolleyes:

Obviously a shortage and his mother was made to be put in a queue due to priority.
Next time he's going to tell them she's in a worser state,so he can get up the list.

Sad state of affairs imo.

Cheers Spades.

if you divert productive resources into one off consumables such as health care then you won't be able to afford the health care for very long... if you are hungry you would be better to live off the duck eggs than slaughter the duck

Can definitely comment about Germany. Most unskilled people make less than 20k Euro before taxes....but cost of living on most parts (exceptions are Munich and Franfurst) is lower. Even executives have much lower salaries than Australia.

Japan I understand is very similar to Germany.

Here is a good comparion...a Lufthansa flight attendand is on aobut $25-30k Euro or about $39-46k Australian.

Meanwhile Australian Flight attendand incuding allowances are about 80-90k Qantas and 50-70k (Virgin/Jetstar).

http://www.be-lufthansa.com/fileadm...s/B9_1_Flugbegleiter/LH_E_FlightAttendant.pdf

interestingly Kohler today pointed the finger for structural problems in our economy at over pricing in the real estate market. in a round about way, subscribers to this forum are killing productive industries. 20k euro wouldn't even pay for your rent in this country

Competition is good as it keeps everyone on their toes....subsidies do not work....

Well, subsidies have worked just fine for the housing market..... strip out negative gearing & the property/housing sector would suffer significantly. Not to mention many people here would be well & truly *&#%

The issue is not just about the car industry but also about retaining skills and capability that is in the national interest, which has been valuable during more than one war effort.... which by the way, has allowed us to freely debate this issue. A diversified national industry base is essential for any developed country and losing this major manufacturing industry is a step backwards for this country in more ways than one.

We should be careful what we wish for....

Well, subsidies have worked just fine for the housing market..... strip out negative gearing & the property/housing sector would suffer significantly. Not to mention many people here would be well & truly *&#%

The issue is not just about the car industry but also about retaining skills and capability that is in the national interest, which has been valuable during more than one war effort.... which by the way, has allowed us to freely debate this issue. A diversified national industry base is essential for any developed country and losing this major manufacturing industry is a step backwards for this country in more ways than one.

We should be careful what we wish for....

The auto industry has been dying a slow death for a few years now. Holden is a shadow of what it once was... that's with continuous propping up with generous subsidies.

Just how long do you keep a dying dog before you put it down??

Far better imo to divert funds into new and existing industries that have the potential to GROW.

Offshoot industries have 4 years to reinvent themselves and staff have that long to retrain.

Many others doing just as bad or worse and no one is too concerned about them.

Back