Who's paying my strata fees?

Hey guys

I bought a unit in Jun 2010 and started renting it out in July 2011.

Looking at the Rental Summary / Statement for the financial year ended 30 Jun 2011 issued by my PM, I noticed there is no outgoing for strata fees.

I checked all my paperwork and can confirm that I have not received any statement from body corporate for payment of the strata fees.

Has anyone encountered this??????

Surely, if the strata fees for my unit is not being paid, body corporate would be following it up? Shouldnt my PM be on top of the strata fees (like the council and water rates)?

:confused:

What did you list in your management agreement & did your solicitor notify strata on purchase. Thirdly why have you not identfied this after four quarterly installments have passed?

It won't be due yet.
It would have been paid by the previous owners and the fee was aportioned at settlement time so you would have paid some of it.

It won't be due yet.
It would have been paid by the previous owners and the fee was aportioned at settlement time so you would have paid some of it.

It isn't due after a YEAR? I doubt it. Call the body corp ASAP. They might be sending it to the wrong address, maybe sending it to the property, including the overdue notices.

I agree with EP. How can you not notice missing body corp invoices after a whole year? A couple of months, maybe. But surely after 6 months you'd think something was wrong?

The Body Corps I am associated with charge an interest payment for levies not paid on time

I would follow up asap

Chris

Yep it's probably going to the wrong address, at which they are just ignoring it. I've had similar things happen with council rates and water bills, both of which I had to chase up. PM is supposed to pay if you've given them the duty of doing so BUT obviously they won't if they haven't received the notices!

I had an excellent PM once call me because she hadn't seen council rates for a year and was concerned (I paid those separately, so I wasn't) which I was impressed by but I saw it as my initial responsibility to see they went to the right place.

Contact the Strata managers, if the address is wrong, fix this and request that there isn't an interest charged to the account, as this was a mistake not rectified by the property manager. Generally works.

Contact the Strata managers, if the address is wrong, fix this and request that there isn't an interest charged to the account, as this was a mistake not rectified by the property manager. Generally works.

It is not up to the PM to rectify any mistake which may have been made. It is up to you or your solicitor to instruct the body corporate to send bills to the PM. You can authorise the PM to pay bills on your behalf, but it is not up to them to chase this up. Body corporate bills can come quarterly, half-yearly or annually.
Marg

It is not up to the PM to rectify any mistake which may have been made. It is up to you or your solicitor to instruct the body corporate to send bills to the PM. You can authorise the PM to pay bills on your behalf, but it is not up to them to chase this up. Body corporate bills can come quarterly, half-yearly or annually.
Marg

You'd think a bill would have showed somewhere by now !

Marg

Agreed. If the invoice went to the PM, and they didn't pay it even though the agreement said they would, then that's the PM's fault. If the invoice never went to them in the first place, it's not the PM's responsibility.

Hi jigglypuff,

When you find out who has been paying your strata levies, can you pm me with the name, as I have a couple of units that could do with the strata levies being paid by a donor. Especially the one where we are renovating the building and my share is about $35k :D

Back