whose house is it?

Friend owned her own home then met a guy who shifted in. They decided to demolish the house and build a fabulous townhouse. He is paying for the lot and says it will be hers. It is nearly finished and I was just wondering at what stage it goes into her name, do they have to complete any paperwork. If it is not in her name officially andhe dies, would his kids be able to place a claim?

Unless the title was changed then the property belongs to her as her name is on the title deed.

However, as it appears there is a de facto relationship and that the friend has put in money, then he would be entitled to a share in the event of a break up.

And yes, in the event of his death his kids MAY have some claim.

Sounds as if it is time for a legal arrangement to protect all parties.
Marg

It sounds like it's hers until he decides it's half his :p.

Who's name it's in doesn't determine who who gets what in a property settlement.

And yes, I would think his kids could have some claim to it.

Property disputes are never as straight forward as 'he said it can be mine, so it is'.

Sounds like a potential nightmare......

I hope they have some formal paperwork somewhere outlining the arrangement

Legally hers if her name is on title, but beneficially his - or both as she has contributed land and him house.

His children would have a claim on the house, even if he doesn't leave an interest in the house to them in his will.

Back