Whose responsibility is it ?

I have a lease on a property in Elizabeth Downs, SA that finishes up today. The property is currently managed by Lin Andrews (LA) and have decided to move the management to LJ Hooker (LJH) Craigmore Elizabeth as I am not too happy with the new PM recently appointed at Lin Andrews.

The tenants actually moved out late last week to another LA rental property; LA PM advised me of this but she has not been able to get the tenants to clean the property till today. Said she will inspect the property late this evening but insists that the bond be passed on to LHJ as she does not have any property management rights from tomorrow.

LJH PM says that she will collect keys tomorrow, will have place cleaned up if required and send bill to current PM. She will have nothing to do with the bond etc.

I would think that its the responsibility of the current PM to ensure that place is tiday and returned in good condition, pay necessary expenses from the bond and then clear the bond.

Am I taking the correct stance ? Appreciate your inputs.

Many thanks.

If I've engaged a PM to manage a property I expect them to Manage it. The property is being managed, not specific tenants. The bond, cleaning, etc are part of the property management and I would expect a new PM to take over where the old one left off.

Personally I would tell the new PM to sort out hand over arrangements directly with the old one rather than you getting sandwiched in the middle.

Afternoon Cherrypro
I would suggest that if the tenancy ended (ten handed back keys) prior to the date on the authority for the new PM then the old PM would be responsible to finalise the tenancy including any bond issues no matter how long it took them.

If the new Authority was dated prior to the current tenancy ending then the new agent would be responsible.

Back