Why cant we borrow from foreign banks?

Why cant we borrow from foreign banks? Are there any foreign banks operating in Australia that lend on residential properties? Is there a law that says you can only lend money to Australians at a level above the RBA rate?

If most loans are sourced from overseas. I still cannot understand why our interest rates are at 7% and other places like the United States its 2-3%. Any comments appreciated.

This is my big "to do" this year.

I seem to recall reading legislation against being able to do this with residential security....but haven't found the specific wording and Act as yet.

I think I'm free to offer my comm & industrial stuff up for grabs....and why not...2 or 3% pa interest rates look yummy to me.

Oh to be able to slash my interest bill by 75% and also walk into the big Banks and pay their mortgages back and get all of their X-coll locks and sticky company charges off....joy to the world.

Must start.

FX risk,

The cost of FX hedging will be linked to the IR differential between the different counties and will negate any benefit if you dont wish to wear FX risk.

In short, no free lunches.

What is the cost of hedging? Can it not be done monthly?

It can take a month if not longer for goods to be delivered and the price would have been determined at the point of sale and the value hedged till delivery.

Say you borrow $1m from a US bank, with a 5 year term repayable as a bullet.

You would need:

1. Exchange $1m today from USD to AUD
2. Today enter into a 5 year IR swap which would entitle you to swap back $1m from AUD to USD at predetermined / fixed FX rate

You would find the rate quoted + premium for (2), above, would negate the IR differential.

Im not sure what delivery of goods and monthly has to do with it toony??? :confused:

Quoting something as a risk, as a reason not to do something has never been an obstacle for me.

Multi-million dollar savings to be had vs "FX risk".

Hmmm, better start calculating some real numbers, rather than simply dismiss it to avoid a "risk".

Talk to me Johnny.

I read an article recently that Japanese banks are looking to set up shop in Oz to lend money. Government seems to be open to the idea.

What is this obsession people have with bringing rates closer to those overseas, like their IR's having anything to do with ours? You do know why their rates are so low right? Would you like to see the same conditions here?

Australian banks offerred loans expressed in foreign currency back in the 80's. It was especially popular with farmers, with the borrowing in yen.

Then the AU$ crashed, farmers saw their loan spiral (in AU$), there were lots of legal cases.

Dont think the banks will be happy to go down this path again (at least not with retail borrowers).

Sophisticated investors (those with more than $2.5million net assets) with the necessary paper work could do it with the international lenders, eg HSBC.

However by signing a 'sophisticated investor' declaration you waive alot of your legal rights (not contract rights, but laws covering government protection). You are deemed to be 'sophisticated' and therefore should know exactly what you are doing, and the underlying risks.

Personally i think with the AU$ so high, this is not the right time to be considering it.

The foreign loans in the 1980s led to much heartache and legal cases. Many borrowers were bankrupted when the loans spiralled out of sight due to the falling Aussie dollar.

No matter how many disclaimers people sign, when it all goes bad they sue. The banks paid out millions in compensation when people claimed they did not understand the currency risk.

I think there is no way they will go down this path again.
Marg

OS funds have always been available, but the "risk" is currency fluctuation which can be +-30%.
If the AUD goes to 1.50usd, you loan & payments have increased ~30%.
If it goes down to 70c your loan and payments decreased by ~30%.

Lots of borrowers in Eastern and Central Europe and I think Iceland as well did this. The main reason for the popularity of Swiss franc and euro loans was because of the high interest rates in their smaller non-eurozone countries and the belief that there was no way their currency could go down a lot. Especially since before the GFC their currencies were riding high due to the carry trade (borrowing in countries with low interest rates and investing in places like Hungary with high interest rates). Sounds familiar? As their currencies have gone down their mortgages have gone up and it is causing enormous economic problems. In fact it could be a source of contagion from places like Hungary to core Eurozone countries like Austria and Italian banks (as if they need anymore problems...) as the Hungarian government is trying desperate measures (mainly screwing the foreign banks) to relieve the 2/3 of Hungarians with foreign loans.

You know I'm beginning to think that given what the Eastern/Central Europeans borrowers did, the PIIGS would have got into trouble even if they weren't in the eurozone as they would have done the same thing...Well, you know the PIIGS countries, have a long and inglorious history (I'm talking decades, even centuries here) of economic problems. Managing money well is not a traditional strength of the PIIGS.

But don't worry, the Australian banks have done the foreign borrowing for us and funnelled it into your mortgages. As of 2008 they owe 70% of GDP to foreign lenders, or about $800 billion.

Last edited:
Some articles on what happens when foreign currency loans meet falling currencies:

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/31/146140750/for-hungarian-borrowers-a-mortgage-nightmare

Adding to his pain, the value of the Hungarian currency, the forint, has plunged; all the ratings agencies have slashed Hungary's credit to junk status; and Hungary's sales tax went up — again — on New Year's Day. It's now at 27 percent, the highest in the European Union. Happy New Year, Jancovics says, with a slight chuckle.

"It is quite hopeless, to tell the truth. I can work maybe 50 hours or 60 a week and still cannot live on [my income]. So that's the situation," he says.

The situation is made far worse by the fact that he took out three loans in Swiss francs. The first — a consumer loan he took out in 2007 — seemed like a good deal at the time, he says. He badly needed money to pay bills. And in 2009, when he had a chance to buy his apartment at a good price, he took out a mortgage, which was also in Swiss francs.

Jancovics says he didn't qualify for a mortgage in forints. But banks, both foreign and Hungarian, were pushing loans in Swiss francs with much lower interest rates — and, some analysts charge, downplaying the risks.

At the time, the exchange rate was 196 forints to the franc. Then, as debt mounted in Greece and elsewhere in the eurozone, and the euro began to look shakier, the Swiss franc became a safe haven for investors — and soared. One franc is now worth 250 Hungarian forints. Jancovics' mortgage burden has gone up nearly 30 percent. His other two loans have gone up even more.

"I knew that they were risky because I knew that there was a risk of the exchange-rate changes. But nobody expected such a big change in the exchange rates," he says.

http://theglobalrealm.com/2011/10/01/icelanders-pelt-politicians-with-eggs/

While the economy is slowly recovering, many Icelanders took out foreign-currency loans and mortgages during the boom years that they have struggled to repay since the krona’s collapse.

The organisers of Saturday’s protest handed the government a 34,000-signature petition demanding debt relief for hard-hit households.

Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir said the government was doing its best to ‘lighten the load’ on homeowners.

http://www.economist.com/node/14587377

This rapid take-up was repeated and exceeded as Austrian and other Western banks moved into central and eastern Europe. The IMF reckons that Polish households took on mortgages denominated in Swiss francs that were worth about 12% of GDP in 2008. In Estonia foreign-currency mortgages accounted for about 80% of household borrowing last year (see chart); in Hungary almost 85% of new mortgages were in Swiss francs in recent years.

This borrowing primed a bomb that still threatens some emerging-market economies and their bankers. The most exposed of all is Latvia, where more than 80% of all household borrowing is denominated in foreign currencies, mainly euros. That seemed to pose little danger as long as Latvia could credibly keep its currency pegged to the euro. But with its economy mired in a deep recession and the country dependent on outside lenders’ money, there are increasing doubts about Latvia’s ability to maintain the peg. Devaluation might help exports but would also make it harder for households to pay back their foreign loans. On October 6th the Latvian government said it was drafting a law limiting the liability of mortgage borrowers to the (reduced) value of their homes, not the value of the original loan, a move that would make devaluation less painful and that would saddle banks such as Swedbank and SEB of Sweden with big losses.

Consumers and lenders in other countries are also at risk. According to Hans-Joachim Dübel of Finpolconsult, a consultancy, Hungarian consumers who took out loans in January 2007 may now be paying as much as 70% more than they did then because of the forint’s depreciation and higher risk premiums. Keeping the lid on this explosive situation has been possible only because of the Swiss central bank’s interventions to prevent its currency from appreciating and its offer, along with a similar one by the European Central Bank, of generous currency swaps to neighbouring central banks. These arrangements were renewed again last month.

Even so, some regulators may prefer to eliminate the dangers of these loans altogether rather than just limit them. Last month Joaquín Almunia, the EU’s commissioner for economic affairs, highlighted foreign-currency mortgages as the sort of danger that the newly formed European Systemic Risk Board would be looking for. More succinct is the verdict of a senior official at Austria’s financial regulator: “We don’t want millions of people acting like little hedge funds.”

http://www.golemxiv.co.uk/2011/10/hungarys-default-the-first-victim-erste-bank/

Erste bank of Austria has just announced a 1.6 billion Euro loss. It’s share price fell nearly 10%.

It is the nature of the losses more than the amount which is critical.

First and foremost the losses were because of Hungay’s default (Yeah that’s right, Default) and the ‘unexpected’ slow down in Romania. Hungary passed a law which is now close to coming in to force, which allows people who borrowed in Swiss francs to pay back on Hungarian florints. It is this law which is causing the banks to lose about 21%-25% on a large chunk of their loans. I wrote about this in Greece, Hungary and Italy – a nexus of debt failure. I made this point then, and it is now clear I was correct, that the law amounted to a default. While everyone was looking at Greece asking will they, won’t they, Hungary did.

The result are now, it seems, finally surfacing. Erste bank is the first to surface. It won’t be the last. This evening there are all sorts of figures and explanations flying around. The Hungarian site Portfolio.hu quotes from Erste’s press release. The bank’s press release makes clear the cause of the losses,

“…the Hungarian parliament has recently passed legislation that cuts banks’ FX claims against their private mortgage customers by about 25%…”

The release goes on to detail that Erste expects about 700 million euros in write downs losses and that Erste now expects 62% of Hungarian loans to become Non-performing!

It is best to borrow money in foreign currency when our AUD is relatively low. Say at A$/US$ was 0.50 then if you borrow you can pretty much expect to never have FX risk because the AUD has never gone below that level at any time. Now with the AUD at 1.06 you would be a bit silly and naiive to think it can't go down significantly from here, given the long-term trend is 0.75 or so.

It is best to borrow money in foreign currency when our AUD is relatively low. Say at A$/US$ was 0.50 then if you borrow you can pretty much expect to never have FX risk because the AUD has never gone below that level at any time. Now with the AUD at 1.06 you would be a bit silly and naiive to think it can't go down significantly from here, given the long-term trend is 0.75 or so.

Maybe parity is the new 0.75? I dunno.

Back