Why do agents not disclose auction results?

Just curious as to why agents do not disclose the sale price at auctions to people who missed the auction? Usually, they are for properties that have sold well over reserve so I would have thought it would encourage higher prices for other sales and also impress potential vendors about the agent's work.

Is it with auctions only that the price can be withheld? I seem to recall the 'recent sales' on Domain before they introduced the 'Sold' section almost always had private treaty results.

Its rare when the vendor doesnt want the sale price disclosed.

If the auction result is well over the odds, agents like to get on a roof with a megaphone and let the world know. If it isnt they get strangely coy about it.

eg: Recently domain.com.au started a new section showing the sale price of houses in your area of interest. Last time i logged on about 75% of them had a "sale price not disclosed" label on.

Of course the sale prices are supplied by agents. Great.

Just curious as to why agents do not disclose the sale price at auctions to people who missed the auction?

Can't say I've ever had the problem. I can understand they don't want to tell you of any offers prior to contracts being exchanged but at an auction they are exchanged on the spot onyway (if sold under the hammer).

Can't be a secret for long anyway - 3 months later the data is published.

Not sure why agents dont discolse... even RPdata are alot more on the ball these days calling to get results so they dont have to wait to publish the price. Often the prices are up within days of the sale.

these days it is not that hard to find out what a property sold for, some vendors dont like it to be disclosed but for the most part they dont really mind.

i always put the sold price on..... most people find it very annoying when the properties are listed with price withheld... why annoy people? i am in the business of trying to help people!

I know agents dont want to advertise a low price precedent for an area. For obvious reasons.

But a high price precedent for a street or area, well thats a different matter entirely.

I don't buy that 9 out 10 vendors don't want the sale price disclosed. Most mum and pop vendors couldn't give a toss.

evand, I can only go by what the agency I work for does. We have never asked a vendor to not disclose a price (regardless of price), it has ALWAYS been at the discretion of the vendor, NEVER by us.

But of course you know everything

Vendors often want to keep the neighbours guessing, hence their wish "not to disclose". Of course, it used to be a bit harder to ascertain sale price, but it is much easier now.

Why would an agency ask the vendor to not disclose the price? I have sold i think 12 properties and not once have i been asked that question. Its up to the agency to supply the info or make it known, no?

In my experience, it only becomes a big deal if the property has sold over the odds. As i have said previously, for obvious reasons.

Of course i don't know everything. Lets just say i have quite a bit more experience than you. That's all is is Andrew. No need to get personal mate.

But why on earth would 9 out 10 normal, everyday vendors care if the sale price is disclosed?

Wylie, are you talking about before the sale (during marketing) with your 'keep the neighbors guessing'? Wouldn't you agree its pretty hard to sell a house while keeping price a secret.

If you mean after the sale, why would most people care if the neighbors knew the price, they're outta there anyway.

Wylie, are you talking about before the sale (during marketing) with your 'keep the neighbors guessing'? Wouldn't you agree its pretty hard to sell a house while keeping price a secret.

My mum has just sold a house. She has always insisted that when a house is selling, nobody can mention the price that is being offered/negotiated and/or the price the vendor will accept. I know from experience that stuff like this gets around the suburb like wildfire. It always amazes me who knows who, and who knows what.

If you mean after the sale, why would most people care if the neighbors knew the price, they're outta there anyway.

I know when my mum was selling that some vendors have talked up what they think their house is worth, and when it sells, perhaps they have accepted less, or don't want their "nosy" neighbours to know.

I think it is more often "not disclosed" when the vendor gets less than they were expecting, or less than they have told their friends their house is worth.

The don't want to lose face, so they try to keep it a secret. But these days, with a few seconds and a computer, anyone can find out. Of course, anyone can call the agency too, but many will not do that.

The other thing is that we get a regular newsletters from local agents with local listings showing original list price, time listed, current price, sold prices etc.

Mum used to say "don't tell even your best friend (or your agent) what you will accept for your house" and I have seen enough times the fallout of "loose lips" to know it is a good idea to keep it very close to the chest until it is unconditional.

Aren't we talking about agents disclosing (or not) the sale price after the property has sold?
IE: Making the sale price publicly known after the fact.

Yes we are, and often they ask that it be "not disclosed".

My comments are disclosing any price hints while selling was just an aside.

Why would an agency ask the vendor to not disclose the price? I have sold i think 12 properties and not once have i been asked that question. Its up to the agency to supply the info or make it known, no?
In my experience, it only becomes a big deal if the property has sold over the odds. As i have said previously, for obvious reasons.

Of course i don't know everything. Lets just say i have quite a bit more experience than you. That's all is is Andrew. No need to get personal mate.

But why on earth would 9 out 10 normal, everyday vendors care if the sale price is disclosed?

Its only up to the vendor if they wisj to not disclose the price, the agent has no say in the matter

I have never asked a vendor to not disclose a price, they have always been the ones to ask.

Back