Why do agents not disclose auction results?

Why would an agency ask the vendor to not disclose the price? I have sold i think 12 properties and not once have i been asked that question. Its up to the agency to supply the info or make it known, no?

In my experience, it only becomes a big deal if the property has sold over the odds. As i have said previously, for obvious reasons.

Of course i don't know everything. Lets just say i have quite a bit more experience than you. That's all is is Andrew. No need to get personal mate.

But why on earth would 9 out 10 normal, everyday vendors care if the sale price is disclosed?
Wylie, are you talking about before the sale (during marketing) with your 'keep the neighbors guessing'? Wouldn't you agree its pretty hard to sell a house while keeping price a secret.

If you mean after the sale, why would most people care if the neighbors knew the price, they're outta there anyway.

I think I chose the wrong words, i am saying that 9 out of 10 vendors dont care if a price is publicised

Had another one of these on the weekend. A house sold at auction and was reported in the papers and other sites as Sold / Not Disclosed. Saw the agent removing the signage from the house, so I asked. Said he didn't know. The vendor, who was helping the agent remove the sign, then told me exactly what it sold for.

Don't forget that there's another reason why prices are not disclosed. Buyers don't always wish for the general public to know what they paid, both for privacy reasons and others.
Generally, from my experience, I've found that, unless the buyer or vendor actually requests the price to be witheld it's usually published online or in major newspapers once the sale is unconditional.
RPData is great, however, as it allows agents to publish prices as soon as they're unconditionally exchanged so we don't have to wait until settlement to find out recent sales. Not all agents do this but it's becoming an increasing trend.

I think publishing the sale price on RPdata is a different thing to publicly disclosing to newspapers etc

I'm sure agents wouldn't be keen on disclosing to RPdata if the sale price was below expectations, especially before settlement where the sale might fall over pre settlement.

Beside that doesn't RPData get their info from land sales records etc where the vendor/agent/purchaser have no input on whether or not its made public?

Back