Why Do House Prices Grow Faster Than Wages ?

The attached spreadsheet attempts to show why average house price growth outstrips average wage growth and CPI.

Assumptions -
  • An average guy (Mr Green) on an average wage buys a house he can afford at 5 times his annual salary - so $50Kpa allows him to buy a $250K house.
  • He puts down a 20% cash deposit
  • His house grows in value at 7.2%pa every year
  • His wages grows at 6% pa - I assumed that it grows in line with average wages at 4%, and also added 2% because of his promotions.
  • He upgrades his house after 10 years and 20 years
  • He doesn't pay off any extra even though he can afford to
  • He has a 30 yr P&I loan for the 1st 2 houses and a 20yr P&I for the 3rd house
  • He puts the whole of the profit from the house he sells down as a deposit for the next house
  • There's no transaction costs
  • It's human nature to want a bigger & more expensive house

Alongside the 40 year history of Mr Green, is shown a potential first home buyer (Mr Gray). He's a new FBH is attempting to enter the market for a PPOR - all of which are owned by people like Mr Green. Each new FHB has 4% more starting wage than the previous years FHB, and the average house price grows by 7.2%pa.

The Output

Shows the reason house prices grow at more than wage growth or CPI is that every home owner has had growth (just like an IP investor). He's also paid off principle every month rather than rent.
The result is that after a few years, paying down principle and the natural growth in his PPOR means he can afford to put down a larger deposit when he upgrades. This means their LVR is relatively low and also that they can service the relatively smaller loan.

Conclusions
  • it's not investors pushing up house prices - it's existing OOs who have big deposits from the sale of their previous PPOR
  • for most FHB the best option is to save a deposit on a below average priced PPOR, pay down the principle quickly and upgrade when possbile.

Feel free to change the assumptions in the blue cells.

And duplicate the bottom line 10 times to see the full 40 yr term - my spreadsheet was 100.5Kb & wouldn't upload, so I deleted the last 10 lines.

Attachments

• HousePriceGrowth.xls
    95 KB · Views: 179
Very interesting, thanks :)

My only suggestion is I think you were meant to have the initial P&I calculation use the 20% deposit value shaded blue in your formula, so you can easily change the calculations depending on what deposit you use.

Otherwise, cheers!

The attached spreadsheet attempts to show why average house price growth outstrips average wage growth and CPI.

Assumptions -
  • An average guy (Mr Green) on an average wage buys a house he can afford at 5 times his annual salary - so $50Kpa allows him to buy a $250K house.
  • He puts down a 20% cash deposit
  • His house grows in value at 7.2%pa every year
  • His wages grows at 6% pa - I assumed that it grows in line with average wages at 4%, and also added 2% because of his promotions.
  • He upgrades his house after 10 years and 20 years
  • He doesn't pay off any extra even though he can afford to
  • He has a 30 yr P&I loan for the 1st 2 houses and a 20yr P&I for the 3rd house
  • He puts the whole of the profit from the house he sells down as a deposit for the next house
  • There's no transaction costs
  • It's human nature to want a bigger & more expensive house

Alongside the 40 year history of Mr Green, is shown a potential first home buyer (Mr Gray). He's a new FBH is attempting to enter the market for a PPOR - all of which are owned by people like Mr Green. Each new FHB has 4% more starting wage than the previous years FHB, and the average house price grows by 7.2%pa.

The Output

Shows the reason house prices grow at more than wage growth or CPI is that every home owner has had growth (just like an IP investor). He's also paid off principle every month rather than rent.
The result is that after a few years, paying down principle and the natural growth in his PPOR means he can afford to put down a larger deposit when he upgrades. This means their LVR is relatively low and also that they can service the relatively smaller loan.

Conclusions
  • it's not investors pushing up house prices - it's existing OOs who have big deposits from the sale of their previous PPOR
  • for most FHB the best option is to save a deposit on a below average priced PPOR, pay down the principle quickly and upgrade when possbile.

Feel free to change the assumptions in the blue cells.

And duplicate the bottom line 10 times to see the full 40 yr term - my spreadsheet was 100.5Kb & wouldn't upload, so I deleted the last 10 lines.

I think it should. Some of the assumptions do not exist (such as without investor, because it is impossible assumption).

Houses are fixed assets and are resources. A person can be an asset, but wages are not.

The same way you spend more than you earn on anything else, increase your debt (duh)

IMG0004_2328296.PNG

"Australia’s household debt to GDP ratio has been growing more than three times as rapidly as the USA’s since 1990. The ratio has grown at an average of just over 2% per annum in the USA; it has grown at over 6.8% per annum here."

All from Steve Keen's blog:

http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/?p=15

Back