Why do they do this?

Why do tenants park cars on front lawns when there is a perfectly good driveway or road out the front?? It is my pet hate!! Does anyone else share this aversion or am alone on this one and need to get over it?

Contact your PM (or send a letter if you self manage), politely asking to keep parking to a minimum on the lawn.

Or you could fence it!

pinkboy

My PM has a special condition written into the lease that parking on the grass is expressly prohibited. They do drive by random inspections for parking and lawn/gardens being maintained outside the inspection cycle.

Not the cheapest managers around by they are worth every $.

I dont get why people park over the footpath either ?

I have seen women having to push the pram out on the road because of cars parked across footpaths.

What's that about ?

What could a PM do though? Give them a smack? :D

I doubt there is much can be done really. I've had tenants do it too but I just let it go.

Why do tenants park cars on front lawns when there is a perfectly good driveway or road out the front??

The same reasons humans do lots of things ;

1. No-one said they couldn't.

2. It's easier for them, walk 2 feet less.

3. The property isn't theirs so they don't give a rats about any damage.

I'd suggest if this little thing is going to blow your stack, you need to either raise your tolerance level or try something other than residential Landlording....cos Tenants won't stop.

A) So don't have to shuffle cars to get out.
B) Car parks in use when get home.
C) Lazy and less distance to walk.

Easy solution is not to have a lawn at the front.
Have an area of gravel or similar, then garden. Less water needed as well. Less maintenance required which means it generally looks better.

We had to replace the stove in one of our IP's. Hubby parked on the front lawn to take the oven off. Our tenant said "lucky you're not one of the kids or you'd lose your keys for 24 hours for parking on the lawn". :D

The place is always immaculate.

Our neighbour has a tendency to park in front of our house. Lately the teenagers friends started parking on our footpath. Hubby put a note on the windscreen. The neighbour used to mow our median strip as the side of it is in front of their place. After the note he now only mows the 2 metres in front of his house.
My daughter said we should park in their driveway and say "I thought we were sharing". :eek:

You child build some garden beds with wooden borders of early worried.[original - stupid auto correct]

should have said

You could build some garden beds with wooden borders if really worried.

Last edited:
Why do tenants park cars on front lawns when there is a perfectly good driveway or road out the front?? It is my pet hate!! Does anyone else share this aversion or am alone on this one and need to get over it?
How do you even know? Do you often drive by and see if you can 'catch' them in the act of something you don't like?

I've got a spattering of IPs in suburbs not that far from where I live. I wouldn't know where they partk their cars. The only time I visit is between tenancies or if there is maintenance to be done.

That goes for all our IPs with the exception of a few Regionals. I have one PM in a Regional town that makes a song & dance about it. I haven't been there in a few years now, but I believe my tenants behave themselves mainly because of the PM.

I'd suggest if this little thing is going to blow your stack, you need to either raise your tolerance level or try something other than residential Landlording....cos Tenants won't stop.
Yeah, chalk it up to another minor annoying thing tenants will do. If you worry about the minors, you'll have a coronary with the majors.
Our neighbour has a tendency to park in front of our house. Lately the teenagers friends started parking on our footpath. Hubby put a note on the windscreen. The neighbour used to mow our median strip as the side of it is in front of their place. After the note he now only mows the 2 metres in front of his house.
My daughter said we should park in their driveway and say "I thought we were sharing". :eek:

When I was young, we came home to a car parked in our yard. The neighbours, had people over, so they parked in our yard. We didn't have a proper driveway, but it was inside our fence, right in the way so we couldn't even get our car in at all.

Now, we lived in a minor's cottage on land that we weren't allowed to purchase in those days, as the area was riddled with old coal mines, even though we owned the house, and had full use of our little 'plot'.

I remember well, my father going there in a rage. He came back even madder after having a raging arguement with them. They told him it was crown land, so they could park anywhere they damn liked.:eek:

How do you even know? Do you often drive by and see if you can 'catch' them in the act of something you don't like?

I've got a spattering of IPs in suburbs not that far from where I live. I wouldn't know where they partk their cars. The only time I visit is between tenancies or if there is maintenance to be done.

Shush Skater. Every serious investor knows that you need to invest within a 10km radius of where you live so you can "keep an eye on your investment".

Car parked on front lawns is one of the many indicators that property is not owner occupied (but not all). Some people like to wash car over lawns so not to waste water.
If you want them to stop, plant a row of shrubs/hedges and tell them that you do it so they can have more privacy to enjoy the property and they may be happy to water it for you.
:)
MKP

Behaviour generalises. How can you expect them to take care of the rest of the property if they destroy the landscaping? Likely they are hard on internal fittings too.

Let them go at the end of the lease. For the interim make sure inspections are done.

In the main we don't get tenants parking on the lawn, or if they do we don't care / don't know about it but what really pi**es me of is when we get none residents using the parking areas of our unit blocks.

We don't get many now but we still get the odd one who is new to the area or hasn't been forewarned not to park in our parking areas.

The last one was parked when we had to close the driveway side as we were using a cherry picker to work on balconies. In this case we tell all the tenants to move their cars or be stuck for the next 'X' hours. In this case there was one car we didn't know.

We then proceeded to close the gate and provide alternate pedestrian access.

In the mean time I had arrived on site and parked outside in the driveway up against the closed gate.

Whilst my son was up in the cheery picker this fool has returned to his car navigated around the cherry picker and is now standing on the inside of the gate honking his horn., demanding that I remove my car so that he can leave.

Well, guess what this is where we establish our reputation of not wanting to be an unauthorized parker on our property.

Long story short he didn't leave until I was read to leave some 3-4 hours later.

We never see them again.

Hopefully they tell all their friends and even their enemies:D

There is a good reason for not wanting your tenant to park on the lawn. Somewhere under that lawn is the main water pipe and if it's not deep then it can damage the pipe over time and you will need to dig it up and repair it,

We had this happen at another block where the pipe is only 300mm underground. ruptured the pipe and had to weld the pipe which is a ***** as it's the lowest point so you really have to work at getting all the water out. Can't weld a pipe with water in it as the steam cools the silver solder.

Cheers

I have experienced this. They were concerned about their car being broken into, so parked it just outside their window.

Back