Why do WA landlords pay water rates?

From my understanding and experience it's common for WA landlords to pay the water rates for their tenants.

Just having a squizz at the REIWA standard lease form and noted clause 2.5 which I found very interesting:

"The Tenant shall reimburse the Owner for all water consumed applicable to the Premises together with any disbursement charges incurred by the Owner for issuing each account and reading."

and..

"Clause 3.1 - The Owner shall bear the cost of all rates, taxes or charges imposed in respect of the Premises other than the water consumption charges which the Tenant will pay or reimburse in accordance with clause 2.5 of the Lease."

If this is the case then why does it seem to be common practise for WA resi landlords to pay the water rates? Are we that rich/good natured? Is it that culturally ingrained as the right thing to do?

What have I missed here? Would I be the only WA resi landlord to send the water bill to the tenant?

As a LL in the NT i have to pay the water costs as well, didnt read into it very far, but my PM said that its fair because they have to water the garden etc :rolleyes:

Um, not sure but I would have thought if you wanted your garden watered that it would be only fair for the owner to pay a portion or the whole lot. This is the just the consumption we are talking about I assume? The owner would pay the sewage and service charge account as they would the council rates. I've just signed a PM agreement with a 50/50 split between me and the tenant which I understand is pretty normal.

If however the property had a bore and reticulation I wouldn't be paying the consumption - I would pass this on to the tenant.

Just my thoughts, would be interested to hear others.

All the best,

G'day chief.

I think you are getting your terminology mixed up here.

The water consumption bill is paid by the tenant. You know the one, it's about $ 30 a quarter. The standard REIWA leasing form has a blank % mark waiting for the Owner to fill in, as a percentage of what the Owner is willing to contribute for the consumption only of water. Normally they put 0% for you.

If you want to be a complete sap, write 100% in the blank bit and you can pay for all of their water cost.

The water rates themselves.....you know the one, it has Annual Charge on it, instead of the consumption charge, and is usually about $ 600 or $ 800 or if you've got a posh house, it's $ 1,500 or something - well that one is solely for the Landlord - lucky you.....unless you put it in writing and the tenant agrees (why would they ????)....if they tell you to hop it, well, you just have to pay the lot.

The Owner must pay the big bill.....as per the RTA.....wonderful document that it is.

Sounds normal doesn't it. Owner cops the big bill no negotiation allowed, and you are allowed to negotiate over the tiddly bill. Joy.

As I've often noted, the Tenancy Union Advocate has been down these roads many times before, well before you ever came along. They've swept the path clear for the tenant, except in WA charttv, where they reckon you Owners have it too good, and they are about to formally ask the legislature to consider changes to strip further powers off the Landlord and give them to the Tenant.

Enjoy the holiday whilst it lasts, she's gonna get more painful in the not too distant future.

Don't ya just love buying assets that fall under the RTA.....:D

One last thing, I'd be highly surprised if WA is any different to any other state. The Tenancy Unions have done a bang slap up job on all the RTA's around the country.....I don't think WA is any different.

G'day chief.

The standard REIWA leasing form has a blank % mark waiting for the Owner to fill in, as a percentage of what the Owner is willing to contribute for the consumption only of water. Normally they put 0% for you.

I must have an old or incomplete form as this bit is not on the lease i'm looking at. It is dated 2005 though and has a now defunct clause about the tenant paying the letting fee!

In NSW I paid for usage while the landlord paid the main bill. I've never paid for a water bill for my Qld IPs, though. Is it buried in with the council rates, perhaps?
Alex

And what about pest inspections. I note clause 2.19:

"The Tenant shall keep the Premises in a clean and sanitary condition and free from dirts, oils, grease, insects and vermin."

So why have I been forwarded a bill for roach extermination? What's the go with other WA landlords?

I must have an old or incomplete form as this bit is not on the lease i'm looking at. It is dated 2005 though and has a now defunct clause about the tenant paying the letting fee!

Yep - you need to get into 2008.

Legislation was passed here on 5th of April 2007 making it unlawful for the Tenant's to be charged any form whatsoever of a Letting Fee.

They didn't mention anything in the legislation about Agents not being able to continue charging for a Letting Fee.

Guess who is forced to pick up the entire bill....another win for the Tenant's Union. These guys are good !!!

Yep - you need to get into 2008.

Legislation was passed here on 5th of April 2007 making it unlawful for the Tenant's to be charged any form whatsoever of a Letting Fee.

They didn't mention anything in the legislation about Agents not being able to continue charging for a Letting Fee.

Guess who is forced to pick up the entire bill....another win for the Tenant's Union. These guys are good !!!

not too different from the landlord copping GST, but let's rule that you can't charge poor tenants any GST. tenants couldn't possibly afford it... landlords? who cares?! lazy fat landlords with their tax bonanzas and forcing up property prices beyond the reach of ordinary working families. You should pay all the water rates AND the consumption. Big picture guys.

And what about pest inspections. I note clause 2.19:

"The Tenant shall keep the Premises in a clean and sanitary condition and free from dirts, oils, grease, insects and vermin."

So why have I been forwarded a bill for roach extermination? What's the go with other WA landlords?

The LL is responsible for pest extermination at the start of the lease, if you have proof that this occured then it is now the tenants responsibility. If you don't then it's time you paid for the service.

Regards

Andrew

yeah we did a 50/50 split with the tenants.

you water garden, i pay.

you use water, you pay.

you don't water garden and pretend that you have, i still pay.

Back