Why does Charnwood have such a bad rep

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying in Charnwood (Canberra) but am a bit concerned due to it's bad rep. I'm not quite sure why it has such a bad rep.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

Hi Angel

It's had a bad rep for as long as I can remember.

Spend some time driving/walking around -check out the local shops.

I think you might have just missed out on the Charny Carni - I saw some road signs for it earlier in the year.

Personally, the numbers would need to look pretty decent for me, otherwise I'd be inclined to spend a little more and buy in other Belco suburbs that don't come with the same rep.

Cheers

Jamie

I live in the next suburb - charnwood isn't as bad as made out.

It does have a lot of ex (and current) govvie housing and in parts isnt very attractive. There are some nicer streets, particularly at the end where it connects with Fraser. If I was buying, I would pick the street carefully.

I have friends who have done very well out of houses in Charnie. I think there have been a lot of first home buyers move into the suburb over the last 10 years.

You do see the occasional greeting of 'when did you get out?' at hte local shops...oh and there was that stabbing...

I could live in Charnwood quite happily. I would be more worried about some of the suburbs in Tuggeranong.

We have an 3bed ex govvie house there rented by an ANU lecturer and his family - his salary is over 80k per year. Guy next door is an public servant EL2 - similar sort of salary. We have done very well out of our Charny investment and would happily live there too, the parks and trees everywhere are great and its handy to everything. It used to be rough 10 years ago as there were heaps of govvie housing, crime, drug problems etc but most of these places have been sold off now (we bought one of them - very dodgy looking when we got it) and the govvie tenants moved further out. The suburb seems fine now and there are a lot of renos going on. I noticed on my last visit the other week they are building a brand new med centre near the shops. Would definitely buy there again.

(Interestingly, we used a Canberra Broker for the purchase in 2009 and he tried to talk us out of it when he heard it was Charny! But thank god we ignored him as now the place is worth 24% more.)

Last edited:
Charnie isn't anywhere near as bad as other Suburbs in NSW.

Say if you're from Newcastle, half the suburbs there are the equivalent to Charnie in the ACT! But by ACT standards, it has a rep. There are some dodgy parts, but its not that dodgy.

I also knew a young go-getter who bought her first place there to get ahead and then upgraded to a top spot in Turner in the inner North. Charnie has its place as a property stepping stone.

According to All Homes, there are 19 houses for sale in Charnwood (including 5 Townhouses) all under $450K. 8 are under offer, that's not bad especially if these buyers renovate the properties. It might start giving the suburb a bit of a face lift.

Say if you're from Newcastle, half the suburbs there are the equivalent to Charnie in the ACT! But by ACT standards, it has a rep. There are some dodgy parts, but its not that dodgy.

Yeah that's true - we are sheltered from that type of riff raff in the ACT. I remember driving around some of the dodgy areas of Wagga a few years back - Charny had nothing on these places.

Cheers

Jamie

Have just heard from a friend who's a high level public servant that he has also just bought a place in Charnwood after missing out on heaps. He offer 5k more than the asking price to get it. Charnys nothing like the place it was 10 years ago thats for sure.

Yeah I reckon it definitely has potential as an investment considering how expensive everything else it. Pick up a bargain, renovate and add value meanwhile Canberra keeps running out of land and the low end keeps rising.

Back