Why DON'T tenants pay water rates?

We have the right to pass on water usage to our tenants as the property has been certified (Qld).

Problem is that the billing cycle is usually completely out of sync with the lease, so usage cannot be passed on easily unless there is a long term tenant. Also some charges are in advance and some in arrears.

Unlike electricity, water cannot be disconnected at the end of a tenancy and reconnected for the next tenant.
Marg

This is a PITA isn't it? Instead of reading the meter and working it out for the first account I tend to pay the first account and wait until the second bill to pass on the usage. By then, the charges are all from the sitting tenant. I know I can read the meter and charge pro-rata for the number of days they were there but I'm too lazy to do that and it confuses me :D.

We do the same at the end too. If water was more expensive I would read the meter and work it out but until then...

We have the right to pass on water usage to our tenants as the property has been certified (Qld).

Problem is that the billing cycle is usually completely out of sync with the lease, so usage cannot be passed on easily unless there is a long term tenant. Also some charges are in advance and some in arrears.

Unlike electricity, water cannot be disconnected at the end of a tenancy and reconnected for the next tenant.
Marg

How dumb is that!? In Vic, we need to disconnect/reconnect water and the usage bill goes straight to tenant... nice!

Gosh - my tenants, for the last 10 years, have always been charged the water usage portion by my PM. Not one has questioned it either.

We don't bother to pass on the water charges either. The bills are always for water that was used more than six months ago anyway. I know we could read the meter ourselves but it's just not worth the bother. I don't think it is fair to expect the PM to read it either, the state of our meters leaves a bit to be desired, it's not like they are on a nice clean wall like the electricity meters.

Incorrect.

Since Jan 2011, the new RTA says tenant pays water bill if it is metered separately and the house is waterwise (low flow taps etc).
Our tenant hasn't paid the usage for last nine months and then disappeared! Do you think Sydney water is going to refund the usage because tenant pays the bill? Somehow I doubt it :)

i know SA water does sewerage and water so its on the 1 bill but what about for the places that have a community sewerage thing or septic tank? cant the tenant have to connect it in there name?
i was told by the REA that they allow a certain amount for looking after the lawn and garden etc and then the tenant pays the extra
imo its not worth charging for the water as the the water usage for me is about $10-20 a qtr then take there allowed limit and its like $5 - $10 a qtr, up there rent $1 a week and it covers it
the main cost is sewerage and supply charges
the main cost is sewerage and supply charges

Our tenant hasn't paid the usage for last nine months and then disappeared! Do you think Sydney water is going to refund the usage because tenant pays the bill? Somehow I doubt it :)

No, Sydney Water won't be interested in your absconding tenant stories :)
But you'd take it out of their bond wouldn't you?

Why would it get "Questioned" when you are allowed to do so ??

I don't get your post ?

jaycee and Lizzie ,

Are you referring to the excess water usage or the actual annual water authority bill?
my tenant pays the excess but I pay the full annual bill, is this correct ?

thanks.

I don't think it is fair to expect the PM to read it either, the state of our meters leaves a bit to be desired, it's not like they are on a nice clean wall like the electricity meters.

She's there doing an inspection anyhow - so what's a quick glance at the meter out the front?

I pay for the rates and fees component - the tenant pays for the actual volume used. Bill go direct to PM who pays it and divides it up for me.

So some are paying it and some aren't. I've been paying it because each time I've questioned my property managers they have told me I have to pay, unless it's excessive. I'm mad and obviously need to research every last thing myself.

I'm mad and obviously need to research every last thing myself.

Why? Legally you are obliged to pay it. Just because some other landlord's/PM's are to lazy to pass it on doesn't mean you get off scott free.

** unless you are being charged for the fee component, in which case I retract the above

I think the confusion may be because different councils charge the access fee and the useage fee in different ways and can come on separate bills.

For my Qld properties the access fee comes in with the rates account (it's called a water access charge) but the useage fee is on a separate bill (and has metered readings).

My VIC rates has nothing about water on it. But I get another bill that has a set Water Service Tariff. Never a meterage reading on it. It always costs the same.

So I'm guessing the useage componant for my Qld properties is being sent to me (but it shouldn't) and I should be passing this onto the tenants. BUT for the VIC properties I am not receiving the useage componant and the tenants are getting it.

I think the confusion may be because different councils charge the access fee and the useage fee in different ways and can come on separate bills.

For my Qld properties the access fee comes in with the rates account (it's called a water access charge) but the useage fee is on a separate bill (and has metered readings).

My VIC rates has nothing about water on it. But I get another bill that has a set Water Service Tariff. Never a meterage reading on it. It always costs the same.

So I'm guessing the useage componant for my Qld properties is being sent to me (but it shouldn't) and I should be passing this onto the tenants. BUT for the VIC properties I am not receiving the useage componant and the tenants are getting it.

Check with your Victorian PM to be sure what's happening maybe ? Just to be safe I mean. For your QLD property, that's what it sounds like to me too.

That means the owners are responsible for the whole bill! We are simply allowed to pass the usage.

Yes, OK. I misread your usage of the word "responsible". Yes the LL is 'responsible' for the bill - as it is in his/her name. But that's only 1/2 the story. The tenant is 'responsible' to pay the useage by reimbursing the LL. ;)

Hi

Just got my first bill from Sydney Water for my IP unit.

The description for the charges are:
Water Service
Wasterwater sewage service
Stormwater drainage area.

Look like i as the LL is liable for this and not my tenant ?

Thank you

Are you sure about this? In Brisbane our rates are on one bill from BCC, and the water and sewerage comes in a quarterly account from Urban Utilities. This comprises water access charge and sewerage access charge plus state bulk water price, local government distributor-Retail price which comprises water usage and fixed access charges.

Everything else is on the rates bill.

Back