Why Perth is a Bubble ("This Time It Is Different")

I know l had a couple of beers over the weekend but l sure missed the Perth market moving into the stage of "irrational exuberance" and " buying frenzy"
I think all the sellers have missed it too:confused:
When did this happen?

meconium, l think your confussing Perth with the current Melb market.
We are all still half asleep over here. No rush. You can take your pick of any suburb and any amount of houses . Even try a bit of low balling if you like
cheers
yadreamin

perth isn't as cheap as it was a decade ago.......right....so, what's your point? that NOW it's a bubble, but it wasn't back then? that because prices have risen a lot that it's unsustainable?

if we see no CG over the next 5- 10 - 100 years, you can bet your a_r_s_e rents will rise. in which case, i hope i DO own property.

hmm - win if i do, and win if i don't? sounds good to me.

maybe Karratha's a risky market too - like it was in 1990. And 1994. And 1999. And 2001. And 2007. And 2009.

i think you're pi_s_s_ing into the wind.

Investment is about logic, about making consistent and sustainable gains, without exposing oneself to too much risk. Investment is not about pride or hubris or being able to boast "told you so" when you are right and others wrong. Logical investors keep open minds and look at all the evidence before making decisions. To ignore evidence or economic history ("this time it is different") is reckless -and that's putting it politely.

perth isn't as cheap as it was a decade ago.......right....so, what's your point? that NOW it's a bubble, but it wasn't back then? that because prices have risen a lot that it's unsustainable?

Mostly yes. Bluecard, you make some good posts on this forum and have often generously directed people to cheapies that are for sale in WA. If I recall correctly, the properties you've shared with us have usually had large land content and have been cheap relative to other stuff on the market. I'm fairly sure that what you've shared with us will not underperform, let alone decline. Now that we've got that out of the way, yes, I do think many Perth people will be hurt by what is shaping to be a growing bubble. Most of these investors are not as cautious or informed as you and do not chase value as you do. They pile in, usually late in the cycle, and invariably pay too much for assets that have already grown in price.

To those who only see blue sky and yet refuse to crunch the historical macroeconomic data for themselves, I'm NOT saying that ALL of Perth is set to crash and burn. What I am saying is that there is excessive optimism out there in the market and many houses in the outerlying suburbs are overpriced, relative to local peoples incomes and mortgage committments. Getting in this late is dangerous. Not all Perth residents earn stratospheric wages and it is a relatively small number of lucky people who work in the mines or in related industries. Booms do not last forever, even when most people say "this time it is different."

Are you saying that median prices should continue to be 3 or 4x median wages ? If so, then I'll take a dozen in both Melb & Perth please :).

It is relevant to look at relevant historical antecedents. Let's not compare Perth to the bubble of Tokyo, where rents (not to mention property prices) have fallen for almost 20 years, even as the population of the city has risen.

Let's consider the resource rich states of the USA, developed English speaking places like like Texas and Louisiana. During the boom days of the 70s and early 80s, when nobody thought commodity prices would fall, these states saw massive real estate gains of the sort that we see today in Perth. But commodity prices are fickle and almost never rise exponentially, as they have recently.

When commodity prices unexpectedly turned sour, the resource rich US states were hit very badly. Entire towns and suburbs closed down as previously rich roughnecks suddenly found themselves on the dole. As the rest of the USA boomed, these resource rich states stagnated for many years and thousands of once optimistic property owners were bankrupted. Those who got in early or paid for their property with cash fared better than those who, in better times, borrowed to buy property.

Investment is about logic, not pride. I don't wish anyone harm and encourage everyone to consider the possibility that black-swan events do occur regularly in our lifetimes. If you've borrowed to buy $750 000 houses in Pt Hedland or Karratha, it may be best to pay off some of your debts as these houses could someday fall vacant. Not that I would wish it on anyone.

The same with outer-lying Perth suburbs. Nice places really, with beautiful homes. But are they really worth $600 000 today when they sold for $80 000 back in the 90s? Will new investors who buy in at $600 000 see similar capital gains in the next 15 years. Personally, I don't think so. If you disagree, feel free to get in and buy as many as you can afford.

Last edited:
I think we are just scratching our heads because you are talking of a bubble when we have just been thru a huge crash. You are 2 years too late in your prophecy. You say it is no time for pride or hubris yet you are standing amidst one of the few bubbling property markets in the whole country yet pokign ballons over the other side of the country. It's really weird

Off topic, but meconium? Gross ... black, gluggy baby poop ... they show us photos of the stuff in antenatal classes ...

R Elf

That was my first thought, although I have come across one person with this name.

Meconium

Joined SS in April and had posted 37 times.

Sheryn

this is irrational thinking. by this logic the median in karratha should be about 20000/4000000 = $2,500

Haha well

a) The proportion is not direct (ie there could be a fixed entry price to reflect construction etc)... so in other words, just because a town has 1 person does not mean the house would be $1. There are material costs, labour costs that go towards building the house and maybe the floor price would at least reflect that?

b) Other factors apart from population have got to do with it (for example Cairo probably has cheaper house prices than Karratha and factors that affect both are many including mining boom vs some desolute city)

I'm guessing that the upper quartile of Perth suburbs may well be a bubble that will eventually pop. Prices may not crash but they will go sideways for a decade or more.

Meconium

I disagree.

I reckon people with money will buy in select areas eg. upper quartile just because they can. :p

Sheryn

travels in search of low hanging fruit

for example Cairo probably has cheaper house prices than Karratha and factors that affect both are many including mining boom vs some desolute city)

Keep an open mind. In my quest for capital gain, I actually visited Cairo and pounded the pavement for a few days. Low hanging fruit abounded and, yes, prices were cheap, well below replacement value. Better still, the population was not declining - depopulation is a huge problem in much of nearby Europe. The killing of a few tourists by islamists had spooked the local markets and there were bargains aplenty when I was there. Plush (by Cairo standards) apartments were up for sale and, for as little as US$30 000, you could live next to local movie stars and ministers.

But the problem is the Law and the government. Tenants have rights that exceed that of the landlord and can almost never be kicked out; rent controls mean that one cannot raise the rent. Ever. Unless the government says so. Being a foreigner does not help, unless one speaks Arabic (I don't). Jews are now allowed to invest in Egypt. Perhaps this is the first positive sign that the country is trying to open up and move on.

I also visited Lebanon on that same trip. The Lebanese economy was opening up, after many years of civil war, and the government was welcoming foreign investors. Everyone was invited to the party. But no Jews or Americans (the former being worse than the latter, I was told) under any circumstances. That sort of backward thinking put me off, people I know who got in on the ground floor back then made serious money - or so they tell me. Pity they can't take it out of the country (there are currency controls, you see).

I think its important to remember why house prices are predicted to boom again. It's to do with the economy and jobs. Just because prices sound unsustainable to you, it doesn't mean they have to come down. So long as the economy keeps motoring and people are moving here for well paid jobs, house prices can and will continue to rise.

When the economy slows, house prices will follow, but the economy won't slow just because it can't go up forever. It will slow for some reason, but what that is, nobody knows. Anyone can say it will slow down, or even crash if you're an alarmist, but nobody can say when or why. So I'm not sure what you're point is Meconium.

I guess you're right in a sense. But like a lot of people here, I see a lot of upside before I see downside, sure protect the downside, but I'm not sure this needs to be said, isn't it a given?

I understand what you're trying to say and somewhat agree.

But the problem I have with what you're saying is you've got to pin a time down and say when you think the crash/deflation is. Because right now you sound like my father who always said "this will all crash soon." After 10 years of a roaring sharemarket, he was finally able to say "See? Told you!"

Same problem I have with people talking about China's bubble. It may be a bubble but it doesn't help me much if the bubble doesn't pop and keeps going for another decade, in which case there'll be plenty of lost opportunities.

These thoughts are typical during a bubble. "property prices seem far to high by any reasonable measure, but if I don't buy now I could miss out forever". Dangerous.
I think it would do some people good to objectively look at the chance that there could be a bubble. A starting point is rents.
If you find yourself hoping that rents go up to justify current prices then you really need to ask yourself whether you're investing or speculating.
If you're worried about missing out, then find something with a better cash return, there is plenty out there.

Back