Why pets should be allowed in houses

• You can now get a pet bond to cover any damage pets make
• Pet reference some pet owners will get a pet reference from there previse agent to help ease the mind of the landlord (your agent should check this)
• Pest control will need to be done once the tenant moves out (tenants Cost)
• Landlord insurance

As long as you have a good agent and the entry condition report was done and done well when the tenant moves in you should be protected

And a house that allow pets will rent a lot quicker and some times you can negotiate a higher rent.

if you can tick all the above boxes you shouldn’t have a problem with putting a pet in a house (apartment different story)

I agree, I have no problems with allowing pets. You can attract a higher rent with those two little words - "pet considered."

Great post RP! I'm looking for a rental that allows pets in Brisbane at the moment. I'm also trying to get into a school catchment. Combining the two is almost impossible!! It's making my life difficult as school finishes in a couple of weeks and there is only one avail property in the catchment area that allows pets. :eek:

I don't understand why some people are so anti-pets. A friend of mine was so precious about her property (was nothing special) that she had it vacant I think for almost 2 months and was absolutely adament that there were to be no pets. I think it all comes down to the people in the property, if they are clean and tidy they'll probably be like that with or without pets, and if they are dirty and careless they'll be like it with or without pets.

I have just experienced for the first time a tenant vacate a property, and I allowed them to have a dog. My thoughts for this were based on my own family experience. I know my father and siblings would do far more damage to a property without a pet, than what my mother would do with her two little dogs if they were to rent something separately.

I recently inspected my property after the tenants vacated, and I couldn't even tell people had lived there let alone a dog since I last inspected the property when I purchased it 18 months ago. This good experience for me, will always have me consider pets. I have a baby moving into my property soon. I'm more concerned about what that will do! :eek:

Kids can, and do, a lot worse than pets. We have always allowed pets. IMHO a tenant that loves their pet(s) is more likely to want to stay long term so that their pet(s) can be accommodated.

Great post RP! I'm looking for a rental that allows pets in Brisbane at the moment. I'm also trying to get into a school catchment. Combining the two is almost impossible!! It's making my life difficult as school finishes in a couple of weeks and there is only one avail property in the catchment area that allows pets. :eek:

Investor

A lot of properties will not advertise pets but will say on the PAMD 20a pets on application

call the agents and ask. also if you have just moved out of your own property get the agent who is selling/renting it to do up a reference for you saying what condition you left the property and how the pet behaved when they inspected the property

take this info along to any open and when talking to the PM give them this paperwork and get them to talk to the owner.

a lot of owners in Brisbane will want there property rented before the end of the month as don’t want it vacant over xmas

good luck

Only in some states...

I agree on the kids part, they usually cause more damage. Often you go through a property with the walls coloured in. I actually had a call yesterday because a property had a broken window, fair enough, but then the tenant said his son broke the window and that we need to fix it. He didn't enjoy me (assistant) and one of the PM's telling him too bad and he will have to fix it at his own cost :rolleyes:

I'd always allow pets, but I would ensure to put a clause into my lease stating that the property must be treated for fleas etc. That way another tenant without a pet/with pet allergies can move in.

Investor

A lot of properties will not advertise pets but will say on the PAMD 20a pets on application

call the agents and ask. also if you have just moved out of your own property get the agent who is selling/renting it to do up a reference for you saying what condition you left the property and how the pet behaved when they inspected the property

take this info along to any open and when talking to the PM give them this paperwork and get them to talk to the owner.

a lot of owners in Brisbane will want there property rented before the end of the month as don’t want it vacant over xmas

good luck

Most of them are sitting vacant and have been for weeks, and state no pets allowed. I've rang agent just in case and been told definately no pets. My parents have offered to look after one of my dogs, so I'll only have one small outdoor dog. I don't get why some property owners are so negative towards it. My ppor I'm renting out is on the net now, so at least they'll be able to see my property when I apply for a rental in the future.

At the end of the day, an owner can choose whoever and whatever they wish to allow into their property.

Of course there are some instances where one cannot publically state the reasons of the choice.

Agree with the other posts written here.
We allow pets at all of our properties.Only 2 cannot have a dog, but that is because of the mobile home park rules.

We have had a few minor issues,but nothing compared to the damage kids can do.Crayons, fingernail polish, markers etc on the walls.

We have in our property rules, that the dogs can be removed at any time, should they cause a problem.The tenants agree.
We may need to enforce this soon, as we do have a dog who continuously barks in the apt building when the owner is at work.Other tenants are complaining. We have suggested a bark collar or doggy daycare.
This will be the first time in about 3 years.(we have 39 units)So that is a great result.

Only dog we do not permit is a pitbull.

Hi i just registered my boyfriend and I are looking for a place to rent in Mildura victoria. Were finding it difficult cause we own a dog and don't have many references. I have one reference from department of human services but doesn't seem to be enough. We have applied for around 8 houses and have been turned down.
I don't get why people can be so against dogs, Like many of you have said children do more damage then what a dog can do. What also gets me is these people that totally trash the rental property eg the carpets are destroyed,holes in walls,doors ripped off,rubbish everywhere and yet they get another rental bam like that.

Good luck goldenowner, if I had an IP there I'd give you a go just b/c I reckon most dog/cat people are nice people.

Please don't take offence to this either, but I'm thinking the Dept of Human Services may be putting off some owners from renting to you. They may believe you're 'no-hopers' or have a drug problem or 20 hidden kids...is there any way you could get the reference to just state the personal name of the referee & not that it came from HS?

i love animals but anythong other than a budgie si not welcome in my home or my rentals...

having said that there are some dead set ferel renters out there who can easily do far more damage...........

i find if the adult renters are ferels in the way they live it reflects on their snotty nose kids as well...

once bitten twice shy....i avoid both animals and kids being towed along where ever possible...

i also try and avoid school teachers...some of them are in the ferel basket as well...

for me im happy to be picky these days,,,be it right or wrong, its my property and i will enter in a contract with whoever i feel like.
'

)
Not in QLD

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/faq_starting_a_tenancy.cfm?item=109.00

Does the Act include provisions for taking pet bonds?

No, the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 does not include provisions for taking for pet bonds.
If a pet bond is taken, it is to be considered to be part of the rental bond. Therefore, any money taken as a pet bond must be lodged with the RTA as a rental bond.
If a pet bond is taken, lessors/agents need to take care that the total pet bond, key deposit, rental bond and any other money taken as protection for the property, does not exceed the maximum rental bond permitted under the Act.

Last Updated: 01 December 2009

Isn't that a bit contradictory saying it 'doesn't allow for pet bonds' & then..'if a pet bond is taken...'

I reckon it would mean that you cant take anything more than 4 weeks
Normal bond is 4 weeks and no pet bond
or 3 weeks for house and 1 week for pet = 4weeks

Thats how I read it anyway.

Good luck goldenowner, if I had an IP there I'd give you a go just b/c I reckon most dog/cat people are nice people.

Please don't take offence to this either, but I'm thinking the Dept of Human Services may be putting off some owners from renting to you. They may believe you're 'no-hopers' or have a drug problem or 20 hidden kids...is there any way you could get the reference to just state the personal name of the referee & not that it came from HS?

Thank you i never thought they would think department of human services could be put off. No kids here and never will be. I'm on the diasbility pension i have intellectual/behavioural disorder. My boyfriend is also on the diasbility pension for intellectual/epilepsy. Theres one nice property manger trying to help us find a place we are going to see a place tommorrow with her. She is really nice and very helpfull. My boyfriend is being a little picky tho on where we live.

Hi Golden, I assume by your nick you're an owner of a golden retriever (beautiful dogs, I have one myself)? When you say you're on a disability pension, as is your partner, would the dog be a companion dog at all? Reason for my asking is it may put you in better stead with your applications.

Back