Why pets should be allowed in houses

just because B causes more destruction than A does not make A look appealling

I don't think anyone else suggested that it would do so (Make "A" look more attractive becuse it cuases less damage than "B")
I read we are humans, humans have pets, if we want to rent to humans perhaps it might be an good idea to include humans with pets to get the place as quick as it coudl be.. and, that luckily for us, usually it's not much of an issue...what with available insurance, the fact thar most don't do to omuch damage and evrything else

Banning pets is one of the few remaining areas of the RTA in most States where resi landlords still get some miniscule influence over what happens in their properties and who is allowed to rent them. For that reason it probably won't last much longer and will eventually be included as grounds for discrimination against pet owners...

BTW jaycee - I have come to the conclusion that reputable companies make far better tenants than humans. Not a squeak of complaint in banning pets then...

FWIW we've pretty much given up on the resi stock so let them have pets if the rest of the package stacks up as well as can be expected. But if two applicants look about equal otherwise and one has pets while the other doesn't, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out who gets the gig.

Banning pets is one of the few remaining areas of the RTA in most States where resi landlords still get some miniscule influence over what happens in their properties and who is allowed to rent them. For that reason it probably won't last much longer and will eventually be included as grounds for discrimination against pet owners...

BTW jaycee - I have come to the conclusion that reputable companies make far better tenants than humans. Not a squeak of complaint in banning pets then...
FWIW we've pretty much given up on the resi stock so let them have pets if the rest of the package stacks up as well as can be expected. But if two applicants look about equal otherwise and one has pets while the other doesn't, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out who gets the gig.

Im not defending humans, nor d3eadbeat humasn ! BUT.. if we are insisting on buying resi property to rent to humans... then it makwes sense to accpet humanity for what it is was all I am saying !

I'd love to have a shitload of commercial instead, but Iant afford it etc etc etc I can complain about pets all I like, but it would not be long before someone would point out "John, you're the idiot, who bought a house where you knew most people who would want to rent it from you would have pets if you didn't want a pet, and now you're compalining about it - what did you expect ?"

i love animals but anythong other than a budgie si not welcome in my home or my rentals...

having said that there are some dead set ferel renters out there who can easily do far more damage...........

i find if the adult renters are ferels in the way they live it reflects on their snotty nose kids as well...

once bitten twice shy....i avoid both animals and kids being towed along where ever possible...

i also try and avoid school teachers...some of them are in the ferel basket as well...

for me im happy to be picky these days,,,be it right or wrong, its my property and i will enter in a contract with whoever i feel like.
'

So, kids are out, feral adults are out, animals are out, school teachers are out..... who is left? :p

Hi Golden, I assume by your nick you're an owner of a golden retriever (beautiful dogs, I have one myself)? When you say you're on a disability pension, as is your partner, would the dog be a companion dog at all? Reason for my asking is it may put you in better stead with your applications.

yes my golden retriever is a companion dog, She keeps me going, She is very well behaved for a 2 year old. She knows sit,stay,come,drop,sit/stay,drop/stay,ignore,leave,wait i even taught her to look both ways before crossing a road. She has been to the obedience club but didn't get any certificates. But the trainer did say she is the most well behaved golden retriever she has meet.

So, kids are out, feral adults are out, animals are out, school teachers are out..... who is left? :p

ALL school teachers out, but not ALL of any other proffesion ?.... I guess feral school teachers are the best at disguising their feral-ness.

plus their work hours are minimal so they are always hanging around the house depreciating the place, fouling it up.

I had a tenant like that, was always in the house....as i see it using all the facilities in the house far more than someone who is out of the house durring the day. Increased wear and tear....

As far as pets go, i've spent the last 3 weeks trying to get rid of pee smell throughout one unit, the previous tenants used to hide the cat under the oven (puke and cat food found in a little cavity) and it used to pee in the corners of all the rooms. One bathroom flood and it makes the recipe for one smelly house! Since then i've had 2 applications from people with cats!

Yeah well not right in it, just under it. :D Its a gas oven with a removable bottom bit, i found 2 plastic lids, loads of cat food and puke, not to mention a nice covering of grease under there too. A nice combination!

Thank you i never thought they would think department of human services could be put off. No kids here and never will be. I'm on the diasbility pension i have intellectual/behavioural disorder. My boyfriend is also on the diasbility pension for intellectual/epilepsy. Theres one nice property manger trying to help us find a place we are going to see a place tommorrow with her. She is really nice and very helpfull. My boyfriend is being a little picky tho on where we live.

Please excuse my ignorance, but can you clarify what you mean by intellectual/behavioural disorder...is that autism?(I googled it, and that was the answer)
Also, what is intellectual/epilepsy?
Should an applicant ever mention these disorders, I would like to know what they mean by it.
The more information a person has, makes it easier to make an informed decision when choosing applications.

Heres a link on intellectual disorder http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...iZ2eDg&usg=AFQjCNH6kjfNtd11uGJaVt0iSX7j4eJORg
And my behavioural is i can get impaitent,angry,uncontrolable,I start shaking and when that happens people either have to walk away or they cope a hit from me. I'm controlling my anger with depression tablets. Even then i sometimes get angry but not as bad if i wasn't on the tablets.
My boyfriends epilepsy is like having seizes, they can be brought on by stress,flashing lights.

Heres a link on intellectual disorder http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...iZ2eDg&usg=AFQjCNH6kjfNtd11uGJaVt0iSX7j4eJORg
And my behavioural is i can get impaitent,angry,uncontrolable,I start shaking and when that happens people either have to walk away or they cope a hit from me. I'm controlling my anger with depression tablets. Even then i sometimes get angry but not as bad if i wasn't on the tablets.
My boyfriends epilepsy is like having seizes, they can be brought on by stress,flashing lights.

Thank you for such an honest answer.

I had a tenant like that, was always in the house....as i see it using all the facilities in the house far more than someone who is out of the house durring the day. Increased wear and tear....

As far as pets go, i've spent the last 3 weeks trying to get rid of pee smell throughout one unit, the previous tenants used to hide the cat under the oven (puke and cat food found in a little cavity) and it used to pee in the corners of all the rooms. One bathroom flood and it makes the recipe for one smelly house! Since then i've had 2 applications from people with cats!

I’m not debating that the cat shouldn’t have been there and the tenant was in the wrong.

But If the cat was known to you and the agent.

The cat would have been and indoor/outdoor cat instead of being stuck indoor because of fear of the owner being kicked out of the Unit.

Do you think the property would have been left in the same condition?

I know that my cat hates being stuck inside and getting a cat hatch was one of the best investments I could have made

Great honest answer there!

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's blantly obvious it doesn't need to be on an application, I've got Torrettes Syndrome and no one knows unless I tell them - of course I have learnt to control this over time and I know when I will have a "fit" but I think it shouldn't affect an application.

Pet Bond

We have recently spent $20k refurbishing a unit in NSW. We are pet lovers and received a request to let it to another pet owner. But we wanted some protection for our hard earned $20k. We asked for a pet bond just in case the cats climbed the curtains or messed the carpets. No unfair damage would mean a full return of the bond.

The answer in NSW is no. You can not get more than 4 weeks bond. Call it pet bond or regular bond or anything else you want. But you can not have more than the 4 weeks.

So guess what?? We've decided not to allow pets in our rented unit. Thanks very much to the NSW bond board. Another brilliant plan to protect tenants?!!

I've got Torrettes Syndrome and no one knows unless I tell them - of course I have learnt to control this over time and I know when I will have a "fit" but I think it shouldn't affect an application.

interesting, have always wondered what would happen if someone with TS hadn't ever been exposed to any swear words? would you burst out with 'golly gosh' or slam the desk in frustration or would the 'fit' just not happen? - serious question.

Am not sure if it is true and I guess I could google it, but apparantly without language you would go bonkers because you couldn't run your internal dialogue.

interesting, have always wondered what would happen if someone with TS hadn't ever been exposed to any swear words? would you burst out with 'golly gosh' or slam the desk in frustration or would the 'fit' just not happen? - serious question.

Am not sure if it is true and I guess I could google it, but apparantly without language you would go bonkers because you couldn't run your internal dialogue.

you've watched juice bigolo male gigolo once too many times.

check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_syndrome for a better understanding. the symptoms are wide and varied.

LS - very brave of you to disclose this. thanks.

Back