Why should I have to pay rent over Christmas???

I was always flabberghast - in my early working years - when I worked for AGC finance - at the number of people wanting to borrow $1,000 at 24% to buy Christmas presents.

Guess it's no different from racking it on the credit card nowadays, but being "frugal" even then I didn't understand why - if you can't afford it then don't buy it.

p.s. a huge number also didn't qualify to borrow even such a small sum at a high interest rate

I dont like paying for electricity "supply" in a blackout, especially around here when the blackouts last for many many hours.

Power went out 5pm on Christmas Day and was out all night, I woke at 1.30am and rang the energy comnpany again to get an update, they said power was restored about an hour earlier....?

I said like hell it's still out in our little culdesac so get to it.

Lucky I rang.

Also lucky we had Christmas lunch and not dinner.....imagine the many Christmas dinners ruined without power from 5pm until midnight...:eek:

Also lucky we had Christmas lunch and not dinner.....imagine the many Christmas dinners ruined without power from 5pm until midnight...:eek:

Turn it up The Fence. Out your way, everyone still has their Metters stove, powered by mallee roots. Nothin' stops those bar stewards.

Heh heh, yeah too right Daz, however many would have been caught out.

We wouldnt because we have gas (and wood of course) but imagine having a large guest list, the roast turkey or whatever on for about 1/2 hr and then ooops no power....?

Then waiting waiting waiting.....???

Bar stewards alright.... ;)

Best to go the prawns & beer next time..:D

At least the beers were cold...first thing I did Christmas morning....load the esky(s)...!

The power went off in NT at 5:15 pm. Thought it might be off a long time, especially being new years eve, but it came back on 20 minutes later.
Good thing it wasn't busy then

Thought I had heard every possible excuse for rent not being paid, but must admit have never heard the shouldn't pay whilst I'm not there.....more along the lines of dog ate the money, child flushed money down the toilet, my wallet was stolen, my wife went shopping etc etc.......mind you we can still see some of them at the pub in the beer garden with their cigarette packets. It is clear rent is not a priority for many people....didn't you know all Landlords are rich and can afford to subsidise their tenants lifestyle :rolleyes:

Back in the "cash" days, we learned quickly, that if you were not open, they would spend the money elsewhere, so we would open Easter Saturday etc, just to stop the arrears list blowing out. Having SMS reminders has been of assistance, but some people still take offence when we remind them that they are 3-4 days behind. Providing people with a copy of their ledger, showing the list of rent reminders that that have had, and then advising them, that this document forms part of their future reference, can have the right effect on some. Another way to think of it, where else can you get a good laugh, than reading about or listening to the "excuses". Its all part of the tapestry of property management.
Happy New Year to you all.

Back