why there is no bubble - UK

Hi all
Somebody showed me this and I thought it was worth posting.
Funny and interesting view of UK market. Some similarities with Aust

Many people have been comparing the housing market bubble to previous market bubbles such as pre-the 1929 Wall Street Crash, the 1997-2000 “tech stocks” bubble, the south sea bubble and the tulip bubble. Of course this is absurd. There are clear differences between the two, which I shall now demonstrate in a comparison between the 1929 bubble and the present housing market:

Past Bubble: Prices of stocks soared to record levels with no sign of coming down again
Present Housing market: Prices of houses soared to record levels with no sign of coming down again

Past Bubble: Everyone and his aunt got involved in the market, even the shoe shine boys were buying stocks
Present housing market: Everyone and his aunt got involved in the market, even the shoe shine boys were buying to let

Past Bubble: The market became a national obsession, with whole sections of newspapers filled with watching its every move and bestselling books written on how to get rich quick from the market
Present housing market: The market became a national obsession, with whole sections of newspapers filled with watching its every move and TV programmes made such as “property ladder”, “location location location” and “the million pound property experiment”

Past Bubble: In the early stages of the boom it was emphasised that stock values were based on fundamental underpinnings such as real companies, and at the end of the day people would always buy the products of these companies
Present housing market: In the early stages of the boom it was emphasised that house values were based on fundamental underpinnings such as real estate values, and at the end of the day people would always need somewhere to live.

Past Bubble: It became common to buy stocks on margin without having to pay the normal price
Present housing market: It became common to buy houses on 100%+ mortgages or using self certification loans without having to fill in the normal forms

Past Bubble: Then when margin wasn't enough derivatives were traded to allow investors to gear up even more.
Present housing market: Then when mortgages weren't enough off-plan deposits were traded to allow investors to cash in even quicker.

Past Bubble: In the middle stage of the boom stock prices were justified by a new paradigm
Present housing market: In the middle stage of the boom house prices were justified by a new paradigm

Past Bubble: Investment trusts were created to help people cash in on the boom without buying actual shares.
Present housing market: REITS, and SIPPS were mooted to help people cash in on the boom without buying actual shares.

Past Bubble: It was claimed there was a shortage of suitable stocks which justified both the bubble and the bringing to the market of dozens of useless new ones.
Present housing market: It was claimed there was a shortage of desirable houses which justified both the bubble and the building of tens of thousands of identikit new build Georgian style houses in Ashford.

Past Bubble: In the later stages of the boom it became more important that stocks went up, than whether they paid dividends or that they had any fundamental value whatsoever.
Present housing market: In the later stages of the boom it became more important that house prices went up, than whether the tenants paid any rent; or that they had any fundamental value whatsoever.

Past Bubble: Companies without any redeeming features, or even a business plan, came to the market and were given wildly optimistic valuations.
Present housing market: New build flats without any redeeming features, apart from being open plan, came to the market and were given wildly optimistic valuations.

Past Bubble: Biased commentators appeared in newspapers, talked up the market and denounced the naysayer's
Present housing market: Biased commentators appeared on television, talked about loft conversions, and denounced the naysayer's

Of course there are some similarities:

Past Bubble: The government did nothing for fear of causing panic.
Present housing market: The government did nothing for fear of causing panic.

Past Bubble: It was all the Federal Reserve's / Banks / Governments fault
Present housing market: It was all the Federal Reserve's / Banks / Governments fault

Past Bubble: It wasn't my own greedy self's fault
Present housing market: It wasn't my own greedy self's fault

But at the end of the day the key difference is this:

Past Bubble: The market crashed and burned, causing misery to millions.
Present housing market: The market gently slowed down, and we all lived happily ever after

In Australia we will live happily ever after because of tax refunds.

The UK will live happily ever after because of a lack of land

The US will live happily ever after because they 'said so'

Hi all,

LB, it's good to see your back on the doom and gloom bandwagon.

Just in passing though, in our local area, the number of vacancies has declined remarkably recently as investors have stopped purchasing property(according to the PM who manages our local property). Throughout the second half of last year and early this year they had about 20 vacancies(houses) most of the time. Today this number is down to 7.

Sorry to let a few facts get in the way of a good story. :rolleyes:

bye

LB, the greatest gloom and doomer was Roger Babson. He called the crash of 29 but he started calling for a crash in 26. By the time 29 came around nobody took much notice of him. On Sept 6 1929 he was reported on newswires as saying something like "Sooner or later a crash is coming and it will be tremendous. Men will be out of work and factories will close down. There will be a great depression". The market gapped down a little forming what was later called the "Babson break". The next day a stock broker bought add space to ridicule him.

Anyway does anybody know the cause of asset bubbles? And if they did what should they do?

Mr Turkey said:
Anyway does anybody know the cause of asset bubbles? And if they did what should they do?

I don't know the economic theory, but I thought most "bubbles" were caused by a combination of greed and fear. Greed in looking for quick returns in an irrational market, and fear of missing out on the quick returns everyone else is getting.

What to do about it ? Easy - don't get greedy, and don't follow the crowd.

Reminds me of the 2000/1 Tech Bubble, when it was announced there was a new way of doing buisness (ie it was different this time) - and you'd better get on the wagon fast.

Top prices paid for companies that didn't actually do anything, and had no income, often just an idea, and just burnt shareholders funds to zero.

Housing can be oversupplied too, but usually you still have an asset if you can hang on to it ie don't over gear.

Fun to read article, but overly simpistic. :)

GarryK

Turkey,

Asset crashes have been discussed previously in this forum do a search & you'll find out about them.

So you're still a fence-sitter LB :)

Enjoy your trolling!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

L Bernham, do you have any numbers macroeconomic numbers to back up your theory?....or is it all hear say?. Maybe if you posted the median yields and compared rates of net CG return (take into account inflation and interest rates) this cycle to the last cycle and cycles before maybe you wouldnt be laughed at so much.

Remeber Guys

We are talking about L Bernhum, the expert share trader , who buys shares and THEN decides to investigate the company.

I really think that sums up his level of experience

See change

My post above does bring up some interesting questions for me though. Does anyone have those numbers?. Anyone know the yields at the peak of the 80's late property boom?. How much the average median house price rose since the previous boom?. How much was that CG after inflation?. How interest rates differed (real rate after inflation and considering how how highly geared home owners and investors were). If someone were to find out the answer to those questions we might actually have a bid of a clue as to whether probably can crash (though its looking less and less likely with every week).

Fester said:
Now you guys are starting to scare me! Maybe I had better dump all my properties quick while I am still ahead!! :D
So the good times will roll on into infinity! Can you present a logical argument to support your one line put-down?

Thommo

Clearly OZ realestate generally has not had a history of boom and busts like stock markets, more a cycle of boom and then stagnation. Bust's in OZ have seemingly been confined to certain markets (Gold coast high rise, premium/status, built for investors)

However this time could be different :confused: , or it could just well be history repeating itself ;) . Whatever happens I am sure everyone will have a good 'after the fact' reason for it!

always_learning said:
Clearly OZ realestate generally has not had a history of boom and busts like stock markets, more a cycle of boom and then stagnation. Bust's in OZ have seemingly been confined to certain markets (Gold coast high rise, premium/status, built for investors)

However this time could be different :confused: , or it could just well be history repeating itself ;) . Whatever happens I am sure everyone will have a good 'after the fact' reason for it!
Actually AL we HAVE had a collapse. It took half an hour to find the reference so please enjoy;

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16366

Thommo

Thommo said:
So the good times will roll on into infinity! Can you present a logical argument to support your one line put-down?

Thommo

Thommo, I was being a little facetious! Now being serious. I did a lot of share trading up to the “tech wreck”. Most of my portfolio was the “dot coms”. I really found it quite exhilarating at the time and it became like betting on the nags! Things were really going good and I was doing very nicely. I dumped them all the very day of the “tech wreck”, lost some but lucky I got right out when I did because some of the companies are now non existent or worth only a fraction of their previous highs! Some drops, well 100%, some 99%. I can’t imagine my properties having a drop of similar proportions if things go wonky! And I am in for the long haul, so as long as tenants want to rent them then I am ok.

Cheers, Fester

That's OK Fester! I was aware you were being a little mischevious, just unsure precisely how.

Anyone who traded the .com bubble and got out early is worthy of my respect.

Peace!

Hi all,

Sorry to bore those who have heard this from me before, but qazwsx did ask!!

We owned an IP and sold at the height of the boom in 1990 in the Melbourne suburb of Mulgrave. It was a very average 3bed brick veneer. The property was bought for $44000 in '81 and sold in '90 for $110,000.

Interest rates for us were fixed at 13.5% and we paid out the loan early. When we first bought rentals were around $70 per week(it was our PPOR at first). By 1990 rental return was $120 per week. So yield in 1981 was 8.25%, but by 1990 it had fallen to 5.67%. Obviously in both cases to purchase such a property would leave one very negatively geared.

The same property today would cost around the $240-260k to purchase and the rent would be about $190-195 pw, so the yield now is ~4%. I have kept an eye on prices and rents in the area.

We can deduce that the cap growth for this property was just shy of 11% pa between '81-'90 and about 6% pa since '90 til now.

I like to use this as a real example of the cap growth and not "median" prices, as the type of house that is "median" has changed a lot over the years, and of course any house you purchase will essentially remain the same unless you spend vast sums on extensions.

Hope this helps

bye

Back