Why would a house be advertised as "deceased estate"?

But the children who inherited it might still have unrealistic expectations?

But that's my point right, there's no reserve, basically? My point is why not just clearly label it "no reserve" instead of "deceased estate"? It also seems clearer to regular buyers.

A lot of the times they do say "must be sold" - as a legitimate deceased estate.

Two of my 90 year old+ neighbours passed away in 2013 & 2012, and each house went to auction last year. 2013 sale fetching $130K above the listed higher end of the buyer enquiry range and the other one at the start of the year at $70K above the high point of the range. Both typical of Deceased Estates., i.e. full reno required, structurally sound, yuk '70's decor.

Interestingly, totally different marketing campaigns for houses across the street from each other.

Last edited:
There's an agent that likes to advertise properties as deceased estates to give the impression that a property is going cheap.

If I was the vendor I dont think I'd be very comfortable with my property being advertised as a deceased estate, just seems like really bad juju to me.

Back