wildlife garden

There is a new neighbour coming soon and the other neighbours and I will be informing them that all cats will be destroyed on sight, irrespective of their "domestic" status.

It doesn't worry you that you'll cause pain and resentment to your new neighbours (and probably some of the old ones too)? Pets are also a protected species.

You might just find that making threats is against the law these days. Nice welcome.

Last edited:
Uhmm not sure what you are going on about.

All the neighbours do not want cats around.
They destroy the wildlife worse than any other thing, incl. us humans.

So no cats please.

We will be asking very nicely, of course, but also explaining that cats get shot around here on sight and its very hard to distinguish a pet cat from a feral cat.

We were the last new neighbours to arrive and it was put on us and we accepted it as a sensible and perfectly reasonable thing to abide by.

Not like we are in town hey.

Harry Butler from Harry Butler In The Wild once proposed to introduce the cat flu to rid the country of feral cats, but, also offered to have domestic cats immunised for free as part of the program.

We never heard from him again.
I shake my head at the general public that lives in the built up areas sometimes and just wish they would get out and about and see what actually happens in these cases.
A perfectly good program would have eradicated the feral cat population but opposed because of oh, poor little puddy cat..

Last edited:
Umm, not sure if you realise. You shoot someone's cat, they're gonna wanta shoot you.
Plus, they'd be within their rights to go to the police about you making threats.
Umm hello.

Uhmmm, hello, we shoot cats in the country rural areas love.

How does one identify the cat before pulling trigger?

Its night spotlighting, and cats travel a long way in their hunting quest.

No one is going to purposefully shoot anyones cat.

So either dont have a cat or lock it up at night if you want it to live.

Simple straight forward, country life.
Same goes for dogs on the loose.

Just before Christmas one neighbour had 22 sheep and their cute little lambs murdered by 2 domestic dogs on the loose. A horrible sight I can tell you.
The dogs' owner was identified and no police were called. It was settle privately like adults do when they know their animal was out of "control".

Do you expect that person to put up with roaming dogs and cats?

Must admit that I hate what cats do to the native wildlife. At least with dogs they tend to stay in the garden (and kill anything in it) or on a lead but you can't exactly walk a cat on a lead. They don't just kill when hungry either. I love my dog but know she will kill wildlife so I only let her off the lead in public areas and parks etc where there's less chance of bumping into local critters.

That's no reason to kill or threaten to kill someone's pet.

So someone decides to get a pet cat and happily lets it out everyday to roam around the surrounding gardens and land killing the wildlife? But it doesn't matter because Felix is someone's beloved pet and pets have a greater right to life than wild creatures and birds? Can you appreciate that your pet may just be viewed as an annoying killing machine to your neighbours? Just my opinion but I'd rather someone take out a cat than see hundreds of native animals killed.

Get over yourself. You kill someone's pet, you break the law and you hurt that person/family a lot. Who do you think you are? Just because you have some weird mindset doesn't allow you to go on a killing rampage.

Get some perspective. No-one wants to see any wildlife killed at all - well, I don't. From what I've seen, the same people who kill/threaten to kill people's pets 'to save the wildlife' also go out killing the wildlife! :mad:

I'm assuming from your comments that you donate time, effort and money to looking after wildlife? That you make decisions aimed towards maintaining our bush environment?
Maybe you're one of those people who takes in stray cats, gets them desexed and finds a good home for them? The most constructive way to deal with the stray cat problem.

Or do you just like to have a scapegoat?

The possums will be moved out of the roof space but I'm so excited about the creatures that we might see
How are those possums going to fare when you 'relocate' them? I don't think you've got much idea at all.

Direct your answer to everyone else 'cause I'm not coming back to this thread. I've had a gut-full of people like you.

Last edited:
Get over yourself. You kill someone's pet, you break the law and you hurt that person/family a lot. Who do you think you are? Just because you have some weird mindset doesn't allow you to go on a killing rampage.

Get some perspective. No-one wants to see any wildlife killed at all - well, I don't. From what I've seen, the same people who kill/threaten to kill people's pets 'to save the wildlife' also go out killing the wildlife! :mad:

I'm assuming from your comments that you donate time, effort and money to looking after wildlife? That you make decisions aimed towards maintaining our bush environment? Or just like to have a scapegoat?

Direct your answer to everyone else 'cause I'm not coming back to this thread. I've had a gut-full of people like you.

Mmmm you didn't like my response? The title of the thread (that I actually started) was 'how can I best attract wildlife to MY garden?' Perhaps to keep you happy I should change it to 'I'm so over the sound of birds singing in my garden and watching lizards sunbathing and amazing marsupials sharing my space. How can I attract someone else's sick hunt and kill machine to pass through just long enough to take a few of them down and maybe crap all over the place for good measure?' Or better still start your own thread as the title of this one suggests that it's probably not directed at cat owners.

Well, why don't you invite Phar Lap around? You could have a field day.

Did you realise this is a public forum? I guess what I find so offensive is your superiority complex.

Well, why don't you invite Phar Lap around? You could have a field day.

Did you realise this is a public forum? I guess what I find so offensive is your superiority complex.

Read your post, number 29 in which you tell me to "get over myself" and that I "haven't got a clue." Who sounds more superior? Anyway, I don't want to argue and you are welcome to clutter my thread with 'Save the Cat' posts if you must although it is off topic. To avoid all this disagreement why not start your own cat thread for all those on the forum who are likeminded. I happen to agree with PH.

Back