Will Australia's next property boom be the greatest boom we've ever seen?

What will happen to Australian property prices over the next 10 years...

• Big boom first, then bust (bigger boom & bust than the last one)

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Small boom first, then bust (smaller boom & bust than the last one)

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • Recession first, then big boom (bigger boom than the last one)

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Recession first, then small boom (smaller boom than the last one)

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Continual stagnation or falling prices for the next 10 years

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2. Despite the global financial crises, I continue to believe by faith, that Australia will remain "lucky" as a "God-Fearing" Nation by God's Grace.

just wondering what this means Kenneth? Are you saying that because Australia is a religious country (which I am not so sure about) that God will prevent recession?

I really don't understand you, Kenneth. First you expect a Japan style 10+ year bust. Then you expect Australia to just get through this.

Why not take the more reasonable middle road? We have a recession, take some pain, then have another boom in 3-5 years.
Alex

Sorry folks, but the party is well and truly coming to an end. Sub-Prime in the US is just the tip of iceberg that the world economy is in the process of colliding with.

I believe we are heading not for just a recession, but the second Global Depression which will be longer and harder than the first one. Changing Boomer demographics will soon exhaust the supply of investment funds (this prediction from 4 years ago is unfolding now http://www.thegreatbustahead.com/pi_article_feb2004.pdf). Peak-Oil will exhaust the supply of cheap easy energy and the $100 barrel we are seeing is nothing compared to what's coming. Not forgetting the almost 7 billion people infesting the planet, many of whom a striving for 'middle-class' aspirations and will soon exhaust the tiny remaining margins of food, water and everything else.

But it's not all bad news. Well, no, actually it's not all bad news for me. I really would like to thank everyone here for making this wonderful housing bubble happen, I really really do! But I always knew it would end and am really surprised it has lasted as long as it has - greed is such an amazing economic engine. During 2007 we have cashed in all of our boom time investments - our fully paid inner-city PPOR (which made a mind blowing 6-fold increase of what my wife paid in 1993), our 2 GC houses (which each made a nice 30% over the couple of years we had them) and even my rather conservative stock portfolio. By October we walked away with enough to outright purchase our dream home on 23 acres of lush fertile secluded land that is still within commute of the city (which doesn't really apply as I telecommute 3 out of 5 days) . We still have plenty left over and that has been going into taking us off the utilities grid as much as possible and setting up extensive self-sustaining Permaculture on our 10 best acres. The leftover will be going into bullion.

I'm breathing easy for the first time in my adult life - I now have everything I want and feel absolutely zero need to try reach that magic waterfront showboat home that so many of my peers are killing themselves to get to. I'm dept free with a wonderful family and ultra low-cost lifestyle -Just in time to celebrate the big 4-0 this year and then sit back and watch (from a nice safe 150kms) the fun unfold.

As for anyone still in the city and with evaporating equity and believing they will be able to service unsustainable debt in a soon-to-be declining employment market, well sorry but no amount of positive talking or denial from the sprukers here is going to change the fact that you are in for some serious trouble ahead.

Well , sounds like you've made it you lucky sh't.
But please - watch out for buses and the like when you leave the vegie patch and head for town . lt's times like those that we tend to walk straight infront of the damn things.

Cheers

l dunno l dunno.
Not crazy about the vibe on this thread despite the polls , graphs and anything else . l guess it lends to what l really feal regardless .
But to tell you the truth - well to start with do you read Martin Weiss.
l get his reports for the stock market . Pretty clued in guy l reckon, one of the most and .

His saying the US is going down , quickly.
Then the thing is , we've just been through and in places still are what l read as crazy times so there has to be a bang surely it's just a matter of when and is there room to cash in on what's left before hand ?

lt just seems here in Oz we have had allot of very unnatural times and rode all out unnaturally some very nasty storms smiling all the way .
Then there's our property prices , to me very unrealistic .
Don't know , feeling very uneasy about it all especially after Martins latest.

Umm , Cheers
PS , wish l knew how the stock market is going to respond to.

Last edited:
Hey all,
Prices stagnate or fall when supply exceeds demand right? Given that population is increasing in Oz capital cities the underlying demand is there.....

now say that access to credit starts to dry up, or servicability gets killed due to rate rises (ANZ just raised its variable rates 0.2 independantly), it could have a few impacts...

1) People who were going to borrow and buy a PPOR who now cant still need a roof over thier heads, putting more stress on rental market...upward pressure on rents

2) People who were maybe thinking of investing in property think "helll no, i cant service that debt, prices are too high already" less new rental stock on the market....upward pressure on rents

3) we may see a stagnation in house prices,especially if access to easy credit goes by the by, but my logic and gut feel is that rents will be the next big boom....followed by house prices once the pent up demand from delayed purchases is vented in a couple/few years time

Any thoughts?

Hey all,
Prices stagnate or fall when supply exceeds demand right? Given that population is increasing in Oz capital cities the underlying demand is there.....

now say that access to credit starts to dry up, or servicability gets killed due to rate rises (ANZ just raised its variable rates 0.2 independantly), it could have a few impacts...

Or when demand falls. Underlying demand to purchase only translates to actual buying IF people can get financing. If the entry-level people can't get as much financing because unemployment is high, interest rates are high and/or bank criteria are tight, that decreases demand. If people can't buy, they rent. Undersupply doesn't automatically translate to higher prices.

1) People who were going to borrow and buy a PPOR who now cant still need a roof over thier heads, putting more stress on rental market...upward pressure on rents

2) People who were maybe thinking of investing in property think "helll no, i cant service that debt, prices are too high already" less new rental stock on the market....upward pressure on rents

Exactly. People can choose to rent or buy. If they can't buy because they can't get the loans for it, they'll rent instead. There is always a group that can get loans when lending is loose but can't get loans at all when it's tight. That fringe group is what powers the boom at the last stages.

3) we may see a stagnation in house prices,especially if access to easy credit goes by the by, but my logic and gut feel is that rents will be the next big boom....followed by house prices once the pent up demand from delayed purchases is vented in a couple/few years time

Sounds about right. I'm also expecting stagnant or falling prices, but at the same time rising rents. Now, if you can hold through this period, the pent up demand will sow the seeds of the next boom.

However, in the short term you may well find that interest rates go up (inflation is a worry), and a stagnant market and tighter lending may mean it's difficult to refinance. Yields are still pretty low, though I expect them to increase via a combination of lower prices and higher rents.

The key is to make sure you have enough cashflow to get through this period.
Alex

2. Despite the global financial crises, I continue to believe by faith, that Australia will remain "lucky" as a "God-Fearing" Nation by God's Grace.

hmmm.. so Americans, Malaysians, Japanese, Sinpaporeans et al must suffer because they are not "god fearing" nations... hence thy lord wont show any of them his benevolent mercy and let their property values stagnate for a long time....:rolleyes:

what a load of tripe !

Hey all,

Any thoughts?

Well said NateDog, I agree. Increasing rents is one of the factors fueling the next big boom.

You should come over here to the GHPC Forum to help me out. I have been having this debate with those guys for a couple of days, but it's only one of me against 20 of them!

Any other Somersofters want to help me out...

Cheers,

Shadow.

Last edited by a moderator:
You simply cant stop at increasing rents.. if property prices are stagnant while rents have increased (as well as oil, food, energy bill etc), and labour market is tight due to low unemployment .. and labor govt is unwinding workplace relations as well as handing more power to unions .. guess what .. wages are likely to increase.. wat does this all means .. inflation .. and lots of it ..

im all for it ... then you can really forget about measly 0.25% increases .. maybe someone who invested in the 70s and 80s can tell us what happens then …

Hey Alex,

After all this time of being on somersoft i still cant work out the proper way to quote peoples posts :)

"Undersupply doesn't automatically translate to higher prices."

Agreed not straight away if finance is tight etc, but like you mention later in your post it does lead to pent up demand....to possibly fuel a bigger boom later on....

and with rising rents the pain of holding IPs should lessen with time....something you also mentioned.

In relation to falling prices i guess the beauty of the Australian property market is the fact that approx 70% of owners purchased because they wanted a roof over thier heads to call thier own :), not mainly as an investment...people who already own a home wont sell unless they have to, they will continue to pay the mortgage pay thier bills and not give a second thought to whether comparable homes in thier suburb are selling for more or less than they were in the past.

They will take the pain of higher mortgage costs on the chin...as long as they can.....

and if they cant (job loss, interest rates go too high divorce etc.)...they may sell and realise a loss...but they still need to live somewhere....pressure on rents again.

Cheers,

Well said NateDog, I agree. Increasing rents is one of the factors fueling the next big boom.

You should come over here to the GHPC Forum to help me out. I have been having this debate with those guys for a couple of days, but it's only one of me against 20 of them!

Any other Somersofters want to help me out...

Cheers,

Shadow.

i actually went over to GHPC and had a look at the link you had earlier in this thread....i did feel like helping you out :)

You were holding your own quite well i thought....

can someone help me...ive worked out how to quote a whole post....but not bits and pieces...

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
You simply cant stop at increasing rents.. if property prices are stagnant while rents have increased (as well as oil, food, energy bill etc), and labour market is tight due to low unemployment .. and labor govt is unwinding workplace relations as well as handing more power to unions .. guess what .. wages are likely to increase.. wat does this all means .. inflation .. and lots of it ..

im all for it ... then you can really forget about measly 0.25% increases .. maybe someone who invested in the 70s and 80s can tell us what happens then …

When you borrow to buy property, inflation isn't always a bad thing. Say property prices go up at the rate of inflation. The 'real' value of your property stays the same but the 'real' value of your mortgage is decreasing.
Alex

I was pondering this for a long time and looking for an answer. I had thought as you do but apparently, an allowance for inflation is built into the interest rate.

When you borrow to buy property, inflation isn't always a bad thing. Say property prices go up at the rate of inflation. The 'real' value of your property stays the same but the 'real' value of your mortgage is decreasing.
Alex

I really don't understand you, Kenneth. First you expect a Japan style 10+ year bust. Then you expect Australia to just get through this.

Alex[/QUOTE
&&&&A&&&&&&&&&&&
Hiya Alex,

1. Just like Australia was previously "lucky" enough to have escaped the last 1997 Asian Financial Crisis relatively unscathed, Australia may be equally "lucky" this time round again despite the present unfolding of the various global financial crises.

2. Honestly speaking, I still remain "open-minded" about the future of the Australian Economy and its various housing markets, at this point in time.

3. This is despite based on existing conventional wisdom derived from the Classical Business/Economic Cycle Analysis, it is "reasonable" for us to expect some sort of Recession is likely to occur in Australia in the near future, given its existing track record of prolonged economic prosperity over the last 16 years.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
just wondering what this means Kenneth? Are you saying that because Australia is a religious country (which I am not so sure about) that God will prevent recession?
Dear Ausprop,

1. Who can effectively control the future nor know the future today?

2. It has been said, " Man may plan, but ultimately it is God who will".

3. Australia was "lucky" enough to have previously escaped relatively unscathed during the last 1997 Asian Financial Crises, 2000 Dotcom Market Crash, 2003 SAR Crises etc.

4.While I am aware that some of the members would disagree with this statement and/or my own views, however, I also believe that each one of us have our own different sets of beliefs.

5. Thus, to each his/her own.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

i actually went over to GHPC and had a look at the link you had earlier in this thread....i did feel like helping you out :)

You were holding your own quite well i thought....

can someone help me...ive worked out how to quote a whole post....but not bits and pieces...

Cheers,

Hey natedog.
Look if l can quote a whole post believe me anyone can . But it is pretty swoosh the way people pick bits out isn't it - can't do that one either !

Cheers

hmmm.. so Americans, Malaysians, Japanese, Sinpaporeans et al must suffer because they are not "god fearing" nations... hence thy lord wont show any of them his benevolent mercy and let their property values stagnate for a long time....:rolleyes:

what a load of tripe !
Dear Harris,

1. You have inferred and make your own invalid sweeping "conclusions" for yourself, which I did not say in my previous post;- though the level of human greed in a particular society has been used and put forward to be one of the fundamental key factors used to explain the different levels of housing boom/bust in the various countries.

2. Among the many theories that were previously offered to me as to why the Australian housing markets are fundamentally different from other Asian housing markets, was that, in general, Australians are not as "greedy" as their Asian counterparts ( or/and their American counterparts? for that matter).

3. Thus, the Australians are less likely to drive up the local housing markets to the same "un-realistically" high levels as their Asian ( and American?) counterparts, such as those have been reported in the various housing markets in Asia.

4. Consequently, this has resulted in a deeper and prolonged housing busts in Asia subsequently, as compared to those that have previously occurred in Australia, to date.

5. While I believe that this observation may be true to a certain extent, it has still not adequately explained why Australia has yet to experience its own "biggest" historical housing boom/bust on record, at this point in time.

6. Not has it adequately explained why Australia was/is such a "lucky" country so as to be able to continually enjoy its prolonged economic prosperity for the last 16 years.

7. Do you have a better argument to adequately explain Australia's present unique economic achievement, to date?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

I was pondering this for a long time and looking for an answer. I had thought as you do but apparently, an allowance for inflation is built into the interest rate.

Yes - you pay for it in the interest rate. There is always somebody on the other side of a transaction so there is very rarely a free lunch.

The best targets for a free lunch is the government - they steal it from the wider public and give it to you! Individuals and companies though are harder to rob!

Alex

Hi Alex,
true .. and it works exceptionally well when the asset price is rising (whether its shares, property, commodity, bonds, farm or whatever).. and as you mentioned even if they only rise at rate of inflation.

although if asset prices stagnate or fall (even if its a little bit), and inflation is increasing then this strategy doesnt work very well..

e.g. compare a scenario if a person bought in outer syd/melb in 03, vs one that is buying now...i.e. prices dropping a few percent for last 4 years, inflation increasing around 3% (personally i think it would be even more), cash rate and bond rates above 5% on average over that period .. even if u say cashflow is neutral over that period its becomes a massive difference..

anyways, dont mean to hijack the thread.. you guys continue the discussion

Last edited:
Back