Will it really be as bad as the 60's?

not sure why you are taking issue with my comments when I agree with you. no i don't think everyone on the dole is a druggie - what a stupid theory. your assumption that I have had no exposure is a ridiculous sterotype...

*deleted - getting too personal, petty, cant be bothered...

why do so many people have a problem with the unemployed.

Do you realise you/the economy would be worse off if everyone was gainfully employed

Do you realise that the government aims to have a certain percentage of the population unemployed so some will have no hope of employment anyhow. and what things would be like if the statistics recieved no benifits

just think yourself lucky that there remuneration package isnt attractive enough (in your eyes) to get you on the dole and that we dont have to live in a country where our less wealthy citizen are living in complete squalor.

and take heart in knowing those dole checks are doing more for society than they do for the individual that recieves them in more ways than you realise.

what's all this bashing about the unemployed I worked since was 12 yrs old

left home young had ******* parents and went from job to job want more people employed take out the recrument agency these people have no idea about real life and screen out potentiol employees it was def easier when you could ring or go into a workplace and fill out an application and speak to the boss personally!

I have been on the dole several times for various reasons going from contractors wage to this payment is a wreck on your lifestyle

I was also on disability since 1999 up unitll 2005 does this make me a lazy dole blugging drugo? would you have given me a job I can not wear shoes
whatsoever becuase of a freak accident?

my mother was also on a single parents pension for yrs raising 6 children

although she was a servo manager for 10yrs before this?

not every1 is on the dole becuase they choose to be friends of mine were stuck on the dole for yrs becuase of no one giving them a go some are now tradies when I was on the dole the payment was $240 a fortnight

and a pension was around $350 so can you buy doodads on this much income?

think before you speak sorry but you struck a nerve!

cya

yes if you think getting rid of the dole is a good idea have a walk around the streets of Vancouver for half an hour and you may soon change your mind

I think the dole is necessary, as there are always people who are suddenly out of work for various reasons, and it's not always easy to walk straight into the next one.

For most people being unemployed for a month or more can be very hard on their life.

But the career unemployed are the issue, and I think they should be weeded out. Why should we work out guts out just to pay for these leeches on society?

I think a good idea is a system in place whereby everyone on the dole must show proof of looking for work, proof of attending interviews and staying at a job that they are given for a reasonable amount of time, say at least 1 year.

Of course, the ones who don't want to work will be very put-out by this, and that's bloody terrific in my book.

The ones who do want to work will be in employment in a short period of time; maybe not their chosen field or profession, but too bad. The world doesn't owe you a living.

And the other group that need to be whacked very hard are those people on "disability pensions". Yes, there are legitimate cases, but it's the rorters I'm talking about.

I've known of 4 people in my life who were rorters, and I gleefully dobbed them all in. ;)

If they can't do their previous role due to some disability, then retrain them in something that requires no physical stress on their disability.

I think the dole is necessary, as there are always people who are suddenly out of work for various reasons, and it's not always easy to walk straight into the next one.

For most people being unemployed for a month or more can be very hard on their life.

But the career unemployed are the issue, and I think they should be weeded out. Why should we work out guts out just to pay for these leeches on society?

I think a good idea is a system in place whereby everyone on the dole must show proof of looking for work, proof of attending interviews and staying at a job that they are given for a reasonable amount of time, say at least 1 year.

Of course, the ones who don't want to work will be very put-out by this, and that's bloody terrific in my book.

The ones who do want to work will be in employment in a short period of time; maybe not their chosen field or profession, but too bad. The world doesn't owe you a living.

And the other group that need to be whacked very hard are those people on "disability pensions". Yes, there are legitimate cases, but it's the rorters I'm talking about.

I've known of 4 people in my life who were rorters, and I gleefully dobbed them all in. ;)

If they can't do their previous role due to some disability, then retrain them in something that requires no physical stress on their disability.

so what job should I have done as was on disability could not wear any shoes

am not allowed to even mow a yard and can not stand up for more then 3hours previosly employed in mines,meat industry and concreting?

by the way when was on the dole what you have mentioned about proof interviews etc you had to do this to get payments.

retrain them in what any suggestions?

What might you suggest for those who have a psychological disability as a result of a psychological injury at work?

And then there are those who have both a psychological and physical injury...what kind of retraining might they be able to take advantage of?

Methinks this issue is far more complex than first meets the eye!

What might you suggest for those who have a psychological disability as a result of a psychological injury at work?

And then there are those who have both a psychological and physical injury...what kind of retraining might they be able to take advantage of?

Methinks this issue is far more complex than first meets the eye!

Don't know the answer to either question, as I have little experience with psychological disabilities.

I guess it depends on the degree of psychological disability.

I used to buy golf related products,and workshop items such as dustpans, storage boxes etc, for my ProShop from the Oakleigh Centre; a workshop environment set up for the mentally and physically impaired.

They were paid employees, under supervision, and they made great things and at a high standard, so I guess something like this would cover that base?

From my experience most people, and scammers, are on physical disabilities. These are the ones that can definitely benefit from some re-training and a different work role.

Things like data entry, call centres, filing and so on.

Last edited:
so what job should I have done as was on disability could not wear any shoes

am not allowed to even mow a yard and can not stand up for more then 3hours previosly employed in mines,meat industry and concreting?

by the way when was on the dole what you have mentioned about proof interviews etc you had to do this to get payments.

retrain them in what any suggestions?

Who says you are "not allowed" to mow a yard? The people who pay your pension?

Are you not able to say; "well; to hell with this, I want to mow a yard and earn my own money and I'm going to stop taking this pension".

I don't know that there ever was a "proof of interviews" criteria for the dole. I was suggesting there should be.

There are numerous jobs which require no physical effort, and can be done sitting down, and I'm sure many employers would take into consideration someone who can't wear shoes.

Front desk receptionists, taxi drivers and data entry staff to name just 3.

The problem, as I see it, is many people just don't want to do something other than the job they used to do.

This is being inflexible, and they think "life is unfair", and other bleats like that, but there are many people in the world who don't let a "disability" get in their way of success and progress.

Every night here on tv I see segments about ex-Iraq vets with no legs and/or arms, who are getting on with it, working, playing basketball, running marathons, raising families from wheelchairs and so on. They make me feel like a pathetic under-achiever with their courage and spirit.

We all know about the habitual dole bludgers who are refusing to look for work, or refuse to go to interviews, or go to them, get the job, turn up for a half a day then leave and tell the recruitment officer that the job "sucked", or the boss was an @rsehole, or whatever - these people will find a way to scam the system and not do any work.

It's really a simple case of attitude, and integrity and pride.

Who says you are "not allowed" to mow a yard? The people who pay your pension?

Are you not able to say; "well; to hell with this, I want to mow a yard and earn my own money and I'm going to stop taking this pension".

I don't know that there ever was a "proof of interviews" criteria for the dole. I was suggesting there should be.

There are numerous jobs which require no physical effort, and can be done sitting down, and I'm sure many employers would take into consideration someone who can't wear shoes.

Front desk receptionists, taxi drivers and data entry staff to name just 3.

The problem, as I see it, is many people just don't want to do something other than the job they used to do.

This is being inflexible, and they think "life is unfair", and other bleats like that, but there are manypeople in the world who don't let a "disability" get in their way of success and progress.

We all know about the habitual dole bludgers who are refusing to look for work, or refuse to go to interviews, or go to them, get the job, turn up for a half a day then leave and tell the recruitment officer that the job "sucked", or the boss was an @rsehole, or whatever - these people will find a way to scam the system and not do any work.

Every night here on tv I see segments about ex-Iraq vets with no legs and/or arms, who are getting on with it, working, playing basketball, running marathons, raising families from wheelchairs and so on. They make me feel like a pathetic under-achiever with their courage and spirit.

It's really a simple case of attitude.

I am no longer on the pension and only got off it by running my own home based businesses and buying properties and no in australia it is illegal to work
without safety enclosed footwear no employer is going to risk themselves becuase of this (unless they want to get heavy fines) I do agree though with the people who rort the system should face some type of punishment by the way I did retrain myself after being disabled in cert 1,2,3 in business admin guess what still could not get work excuses was overqualified and can not employ and no was doctor I have a 15cm cut on my left foot from a freak accident that is on top hence why can not wear shoes would put me in hospital not everything is as easy as people think btw I worked in hard labour jobs since I was a 12yr old and was never afraid to work and hated being on the pension and took me yrs to get off it still.also can not drive becuase of this injury so taxi driver would of been out.

point I was trying to make is not every1 is a lazy so and so becuase they are on payments also recrument agencys are the biggest joke I have seen
1 talked an employer out of giving myself and my wife a job after we were told we got it back in 99 might of changed now beats me.

Anyway I think this has gone far enough back to the actual topic will it be as bad as the 60's?

with the way rudd is tackling carers allowances and pensioner payments i can see why he mentioned the pain to come. if he is being this harsh, what have the main stream got coming?

I'll ask you again - are you saying that everyone on unemployment benefits is a drug addict?

If you got off your precious middle class bum and actually went and met junkies you'd find that none of them (usually) are on the dole either. They don't have the time or the resources (such as a stable address), to be on the dole.

It's always funny to me how people with no idea always seem to know the most about any given topic.

Mark

There are lots of people on long term Centre link benefits who genuinely deserve them - often through no fault of their own.

There is a segment who do not have the desire to work and know how to play the system. Staying on unemployment benefits is quite arduous and generally not worth the hassle for most. Much easier to go on a disability pension.

Lets run with "Junkie" stereotype as an example. Doesn't want to work. Would like to spend more of his/her money on drugs. Would like some free or cheap drugs. So what to do?

Step 1 - State you have back pain and are unable to work. No real way to prove you wrong unless a PI catches you doing activities you say you cant. No real work you can do if you say the pain is too much if you sit still / stand for more than 15 minutes at a time and cant concentrate on any meaningful tasks. Medical certificate excuses you from looking for work.
Step 2 - Symptoms become chronic. Transfer from unemployment to disability benefits. No need to keep looking for work as long as the Doc signs off on it.
Step 3 - While getting your certificate there is a good chance you can get some Valium, sleeping tablets, pain killers. These can be used / traded for the drug of your choice. As a bonus the medication is PBS funded - aka subsidised by Joe Tax payer.
Step 4 - Use all the benefits a pension card gives to reduce your cost base (rental assistance, reduced health care, reduced utilities, etc).

Clearly I'm not suggesting everyone on a disability pension is rorting the system. The system is very open to abuse for those who know how to play it.

I should add that I dont think anyone that is currently long term unemployed cant genuinely find a job - other than physical or empotional handicap
In my experience people on long term unemployement benefits (as opposed to other benefits) are probably genuine in looking for work.

We have this young female co worker who is constantly on"light duty" because she supposedly has hurt her back.
She is just plain lazy and is milking the system. I wish they would fire her.
It makes everyone else in our dept need to work a bit harder, because of this.

She will most likely get herself fired before the year is up because they introduced an absentism policy.
If you are late, you get a 1/2 point. If you call in sick (and used up your 2 yearly sick days) you get a point.After 10 points in a 12 month period, you are terminated.
I bet she has hardly ever worked a full week since she started about 2 years ago.

Some people are just plain lazy.

There are lots of people on long term Centre link benefits who genuinely deserve them - often through no fault of their own.

There is a segment who do not have the desire to work and know how to play the system. Staying on unemployment benefits is quite arduous and generally not worth the hassle for most. Much easier to go on a disability pension.

Lets run with "Junkie" stereotype as an example. Doesn't want to work. Would like to spend more of his/her money on drugs. Would like some free or cheap drugs. So what to do?

Step 1 - State you have back pain and are unable to work. No real way to prove you wrong unless a PI catches you doing activities you say you cant. No real work you can do if you say the pain is too much if you sit still / stand for more than 15 minutes at a time and cant concentrate on any meaningful tasks. Medical certificate excuses you from looking for work.
Step 2 - Symptoms become chronic. Transfer from unemployment to disability benefits. No need to keep looking for work as long as the Doc signs off on it.
Step 3 - While getting your certificate there is a good chance you can get some Valium, sleeping tablets, pain killers. These can be used / traded for the drug of your choice. As a bonus the medication is PBS funded - aka subsidised by Joe Tax payer.
Step 4 - Use all the benefits a pension card gives to reduce your cost base (rental assistance, reduced health care, reduced utilities, etc).

Clearly I'm not suggesting everyone on a disability pension is rorting the system. The system is very open to abuse for those who know how to play it.

In my experience people on long term unemployement benefits (as opposed to other benefits) are probably genuine in looking for work.

I disagree about how easy you are saying it is to get on a disability pension

for starters when I first got on it anyway you had to prove that you were unemployable a back pain does is not enough alone it took us 2yrs

to go from the dole and work yes I did work in sales/telemarketing when was told not to including door knocking. it also took my father many years and yes his was back pain which was degenration of the bone means your disk crumble and need a pole in your back usually ending up in a wheelchair
and eventually end up in a wheel chair again he also worked when was told not. as for the people that have got on by rorting the system these people
should be cut off ones that went from dole to pension although I would like to know how they did it was extremly difficult in both our cases

fyi I had a guaranteed position in amh meatworks and would of rathered went and worked there but was not allowed to untill my foot was healed
and for the people going to say who said this doctor,meatworks medical staff etc.

I now have to sleep on one side and can not cuddle my wife I can no longer play sports I used to such as tae kwon do,tennis,basketball and football

or do a push up (used be ranked 2nd in qld for tae kwon do)

my wife has to tissue massage my scar everynight I can not walk on the beach after around half an hour collapses. if I do some work with my mates it can lay me up for a week this is only doing things like yard work or fixing cars.

we have physio every week I can not go anywhere that requires enclosed footwear(alot of places require this such as a cinemea)

I can not play sports with my duaghter or just run around to long playing.

I put on weight since this injury aswell lucky I have a caring wife lol

anyway I did get off this benefit as stated but it took alot of yrs and doing things out side the norm I would love had just gone back and continued
in the meatworks but also feel I am blessed as if this injury had not occured I prob would never got into investing and be in alot of debt instead we now own manage businesses 4 ips and are currently building a 5x2 owing only 104k

also I was glad it was me that bled litres of blood after walking into some morons left over cabling rather then the little girl playing beside it as she would have lost her foot. loved having to pee in a bottle and being driven 200ks to the nearest hospital.(was also great being stitched up with no anestich pain killers and a basic needle and could only put in 11 stitches all doctor had as was only there on holidays 15cm sliced clean in half 11stitches aint many)

it was also great being in a wheelchair for 2months relying on others

I have never had to do this before fyi so lucky lazy me got a pension for yrs

oh it was also great that now we had to have a court house marriage rather then the chappel marriage. and I loved being accepted into 42nd battalion

and then told I can no longer do this becuase of my injury which I done 2weeks before going to kapooka for those who don't know this is army reserve and training camp you have to pass my best mate and cousin went I loved not being able to get in and pursue my courier as a rifleman.

so those screaming lazy disability pensioners next time you go kick a football

with your kid think how blessed you are and how you would feel if you could no longer do this task or you can not play on the beach much longer then 30mins. I also payed taxes from when I was able to up untill this injury

I also payed taxes when doing H&L packages while on the pension.

sorry for the long winded post but I needed to vent and let others know
that no every1 has such an easy case.

and like I asked before this was carried on further can we get back to the original topic will it be as bad as the 60's

I would like to know peoples answer on this as we have businesses etc

and are think of selling some assets to be cash ready if and when the drops happen

James - i would love to read your post, but i really find it very difficult due to the lack of punctuation. Please use fullstops, commas etc so that it makes your posts easier for everyone to read.

Not having a go at you, just passing on some advice - because i gave up reading this last post of yours because its just too much of a brain strain trying to work out the sentences and breaks.

I disagree about how easy you are saying it is to get on a disability pension

for starters when I first got on it anyway you had to prove that you were unemployable a back pain does is not enough alone it took us 2yrs

I don't know what criteria Centre link use to differentiate between
a) a disability pension
b) a job seeker who is too unwell to work

but for the scenario i outlined there is not much difference.

If the medical certificate states the applicant is unfit to work for 8 or more hours a week, he/she does not need to look for work. There are planty of people who know what to say and do in order to get that box ticked. You sound like you had a genuine problem, answered honestly, and it therefore took a long time before they gave you the pension.

I'm sorry to hear about your back. I wish you the best for the future.

Cheers,

Dis

I would really like to see a situation where we actually put those people who are stuck without a job to work. For example, how about a work for the dole scheme where you get paid by the number of days you turn up. So... you make the basic dole say $300 a week, but increase it by $100 for every day the 'unemployed' person turns up, allowing the person to earn around $40k per year if they turn up for work every day. You would then have a workforce with a range of skills (and motivations) that you could point at various tasks - there's always stuff that needs to be done around any community. Then, people within the program could apply for training, just like in a normal job. Heck, you could even let people work their way through university this way. What you would end up with is a labour force that not only trained and motivated people, and kept them occupied so they didn't fall into a hole mentally (looking for work can actually be very depressing), but you could point the workforce at a range of jobs to get real outcomes. You coulod even sell the labour to the private sector in some instances.

Of course, the idea would take some fine tuning, and would require strong supervision by the right people, but I think it would be a more positive outcome for all of us.

As for people on disability and carer's pensions, I think, frankly, that we should increase the amount so these people are looked after, and leave them alone. Of course, if anyone is caught rorting, throw the book at them, but I'd suggest most people in such situations have a bit of a sad story to tell, and as a society we need to support them properly.

If life on welfare is as easy as many on this forum believe, then why is it only 4.5% of people are unemployed. Why don't we all sell up and forget about the trials of investing in property and sit back and collect huge cheques every fortnight?

The real rate is much higher than that. That figure does not include people who are on the various pensions, even if they are looking for work. It does not count the stay at home partners of married couples who may be looking for work either.

When people talk about the people on benefits having it easy, I think of the many who are on supporting parent benefits. If you are unemployed & have a kid, your income goes up substantially. Have 2,3,4 or more of them & suddenly you are earning a reasonable amount, without having to go to work. Even better if they all have different fathers & you can squeeze some maintenance out of them too. Think this doesn't happen? Well, there is at least one of these living in my street.

Here, in Canada, where i work there are rumors we going to a 4 day work week and having Unemployment Insurance cover our 5th day.
Because we are American owned and the strength of the Canadian dollar, our sales have dropped.

The company told us we will find out what is going on May 12.

Personally, my wage has a very little effect on our lives.It's not very large.

Back