Will RBA reduce rates by 0.25% or 0.50% in September

No worries TC. I should have put a smiley in the previous post.

And, no, I don't own any discretionaries. Except for Wesfarmers, and I didn't want them to buy coles anyway. I also don't own any banks, and can't see any value there either.

In the last month though, I have bought BHP, WPL, UGL, LEI, MLE, PAG, ORI.

ps, Oops, Wes and Coles aren't discretionary spending anyways.

And, no, I don't own any discretionaries. Except for Wesfarmers, and I didn't want them to buy coles anyway. I also don't own any banks, and can't see any value there either.

In the last month though, I have bought BHP, WPL, UGL, LEI, MLE, PAG, ORI.

bhp, wpl, and ugl make sense.
lei : I thought might be a bit risky until I read up on their growing overseas operations, especially in Saudi. Nice diversification....
mle : can't understand that one TC. I wouldn't touch the donut boyz with a 10 foot pole.
pag : don't know enough about their experience in agriculture.
ori : should do better once they dump their consumer divisions in 09.

You must be unconcerned about a slowing down of Chindia if the US goes into a structural recession/depression.

ps, Oops, Wes and Coles aren't discretionary spending anyways.

yeah you threw me there.....
re WES, some might consider Target discretionary :) .....well compared to Aldi's ........

mle : can't understand that one TC. I wouldn't touch the donut boyz with a 10 foot pole.

You must be unconcerned about a slowing down of Chindia if the US goes into a structural recession/depression.

MLE. A property trust with not too much debt, lots of land and dreamworld as assets and a good yield.

Yeah, if China and India tank, so does our whole economy, so there will be more to worry about than some share losses. If the resource boom ends, the Aussie dollar would go to below 60c, so I would do real well from farming at a less than 60c dollar.

See ya's.

MLE. A property trust with not too much debt, lots of land and dreamworld as assets and a good yield.

that's a neat trick to pay out a higher div per share than earnings per share.:confused: though I suppose the div isn't franked.....:)

Yeah, if China and India tank, so does our whole economy, so there will be more to worry about than some share losses. If the resource boom ends, the Aussie dollar would go to below 60c, so I would do real well from farming at a less than 60c dollar.

true....our mining exports could slow significantly but never our agriculture, now that China has a stash of cash...presume they'll overtake Japan shortly as our major ag export destination.

See ya's.

Anyway you are right and would be interesting to compare graph and also I would add the other major currency to it (specially the Euro, yen and GB pound)

Dan Denning came up with a new indicator to track the credit worthiness of US t-bills. He calls it the bed spread "baseline emerging market spread" or BS for short :rolleyes:

a short explanation extracted from here......

"[SIZE=-1]To get it, I established a spread between emerging market debt and U.S. government debt. If I’m right about the U.S. bond market losing its gold-standard reputation, the spread should converge over time. U.S. government bond yields will rise as the dollar falls. And emerging market debt yields will fall as it becomes comparatively less risky than dollar-denominated debt. "[/SIZE]

Dan Denning came up with a new indicator to track the credit worthiness of US t-bills. He calls it the bed spread "baseline emerging market spread" or BS for short :rolleyes:

a short explanation extracted from here......

"[SIZE=-1]To get it, I established a spread between emerging market debt and U.S. government debt. If I’m right about the U.S. bond market losing its gold-standard reputation, the spread should converge over time. U.S. government bond yields will rise as the dollar falls. And emerging market debt yields will fall as it becomes comparatively less risky than dollar-denominated debt. "[/SIZE]

I think Dan idea is very good.
I am not sure about the way he measure it as I have being looking into it. Seems the investment in the emerging market the fund EMD he use as benchmark use 68% of currency allocation in US$ (http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080724/20080724005242.html?.v=1 )
I am finding very hard to get any emerging bond data that is not denominated in US$

RBA cuts rates

And the winner is 0.25%..

http://business.theage.com.au/business/rba-cuts-rates-20080902-47pe.html

Mortgage borrowers got their long-awaited rate relief today after the Reserve Bank cut the interest rate, its first reduction in nearly seven years.

The central bank lowered the cash rate 0.25 of a percentage point to 7% from its 12-year high of 7.25%, in a move that puts pressure on lenders to reduce their rates in response.

The rate cut will be especially welcomed by consumers who have struggled with the high loan repayments at a time of rising food and petrol prices.

The reduction, if passed along by lenders, will trim $40 off the monthly repayments on a typical 25-year, $250,000 mortgage.

The RBA's decision, which was almost universally expected by analysts, may also signal further cuts to come.

The risk of a reduced chance of a sustained cutting cycle prompted the Australian dollar to rally.

The Aussie dollar moved from US84.86c, just before the decision, up to US85.32c.

I made some rather nice pocket change on that little movement :D Now back to 84.74c.

Back