Wind power [revisited]

PS: It's been talked about before and its an Australian company who has been forced overseas to pursue their new technology with ceramic fuel cells
Sadly Redwing, I mentioned that one to my BIL and as far as I know he is still holding. I only dabbled, fortunately. Good technology but there is no way it will ever be price competitive.

Now, I wouldn't touch alternative energy companies with a barge pole.

yes yes, but doesn't this report assume that the carbon tax and other climate change policies are pricing coal out of the market?

The link in the OP shows that the CO2 tax would need to be at least another order of magnitude higher for that to be the case. But many of the input costs of a windfarm are carbon taxable too [or SHOULD be] so the bar keeps getting higher. This has happened to ethanol: It was going to be competitive @ under $50/bbl for oil, but oil is a big input cost so they are chasing an elusive dream.

yes yes, but doesn't this report assume that the carbon tax and other climate change policies are pricing coal out of the market?

Which report? The BREE report provides two different price curves for each technology - one with carbon pricing and the other without. So you can see the impact of that policy independently.

BTW nobody is pricing coal "out of the market". Coal has the advantage of incumbency and the fact that the investments have been made already (and are largely depreciated). There are no realistic scenarios where coal has zero market share. We are talking about where new investments will be made, not removing any existing generation from production. Moving it up the merit order (base load to mid merit) would be the worst impact on coal.

The price curves for gas will ensure coal keeps its place for some time to come anyway - even if dispatched at mid merit rather than base load.

Sadly Redwing, I mentioned that one to my BIL and as far as I know he is still holding. I only dabbled, fortunately. Good technology but there is no way it will ever be price competitive.

Now, I wouldn't touch alternative energy companies with a barge pole.

Its my FIL who's been keen on these and kept me updated as to their progress in europe ;)

08-29-2014b.jpg

Interesting program on TV the other night with regards to Portugal and it's surge in wind power and alternative energy sources

Denmark, Portugal, and Spain apparently leading the World

Trade Winds, Sound Policies Push Portugal to the Renewable Energy Forefront

How did Portugal assume such impressive leadership in the clean energy transition? The key, as usual, lies in ambitious supportive policies. Prior to 2000, Portugal's transmission lines were owned by private power companies that had no interest in investing in renewables, as the deployment of these technologies would require radical changes in the grid infrastructure and therefore raise costs. To address this barrier, the government bought the lines and began adapting the grid to renewables requirements, including more flexibility and a better grid connection in remote areas to allow the production and distribution of electricity from small generators, such as domestic solar panels.

A combination of incentives was implemented to attract investors. Feed-in tariffs (FIT) - which guarantee producers of renewable energy a specified price for every megawatt-hour of power fed into the grid - were first introduced in Portugal in 1988 and have increasingly evolved into a highly sophisticated system with individual prices for each renewable energy source. The latest tariff stipulations, issued in 2005 and 2007, take into account environmental considerations, the level of technology development, and the inflation rate. The government also integrated new technologies such as Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) and tidal power into the system.

Back