windsor-sydney

hi, has anyone invested in farmland around windsor - sydney, or live in the area? Would be very interested in your thoughts about local economy, what the council is like, future infrastructure, flood affectation etc.

I am looking at 5-10 acres as a hobby farm & weekender.

hi, has anyone invested in farmland around windsor - sydney, or live in the area? Would be very interested in your thoughts about local economy, what the council is like, future infrastructure, flood affectation etc.

I am looking at 5-10 acres as a hobby farm & weekender.

I live about 15 minutes from windsor and have been looking out that way for a PPOR for a while, now that our current ppor has sold we'll step it up a gear.

I did find a really nice block several months ago. 5 riverfront acres not arable but high with a good building platform and great outlook over the river, with power and phone on site

Depending on your budget, you may want to consider suburbs a lot closer in than Windsor. Eg: Box Hill, Annangrove, Kenthurst, Middle Dural, Glaston, Arcadia etc. I know the area pretty well (and love it!) and can tell you that I'm seeing some real bargains crop up (even in the sub $1m market) for acreage. Not all blocks are fully arable, naturally, but seeing as these suburbs represent the closest acreage there is to the Sydney CBD, land value is looking pretty good. I've cited a couple of recent examples in other posts so take a look before you settle on Windsor indefinitely. However, the upside to Windsor, Vineyard/Mulgrave and surrounds is the benefit of rail.
Downsides to investing in acreage include land tax and maintenance so your cashflow needs to be generous.

Oops forgot to mention flood zones- do be aware of these and purchase a flood zone map from Hawkesbury council or visit their chambers and look up the zoning maps- a zoning certificate will tell you more. 1 in 100yr flood zones do exist, and depending on when your house was erected, restrictions may apply on further extensions etc.

Box Hill, Annangrove, Kenthurst, Middle Dural, Glaston, Arcadia etc.

I grew up Kenthurst and Dural and would love to move back out there.....if I had a spare $mil or two. I agree as am investment though these areas especially Box Hill, Annangrove and Kenthurst will have a higher CG than rural areas in the Hawkesbury LGA. Other areas for consideration could be Scholfields and Riverstone acerage. Although they are in blacktoan council and pretty crappy suburbs, they are very close to recent subdivisions and any new subdivision of land around there will turn the area around.

I hadn't thought of Galston, someone said driving around the gorge was hairy and I drive periodically north (hornsby) and west (paramatta). Dural is interesting and I'll have to check out the roads to Hornsby and Paramatta from there.

I could get a farm as PPOR and live from there. That would eliminate land tax. The other farms I have I use as primary production so they are also exempt from land tax.

The idea of getting something near the river in windsor is also interesting and if it is a PPOR wouldn't matter if it was not arable as I can claim PPOR expemption from land tax. Unfortunately don't think my wife would want to live there. Anything in Windsor would just be for a weekender, hobby far, artistic retreat, storeroom/container for family junk.

I'd better start grazing & look at some properties with the aim of finding something in the next year where the numbers and lifestyle add up.

I know of a 5 acre block on high side of Pitt Town Road at Pitt Town, with spectacular views of the flood plains and Blue Mountains, crappy old 3 bedroom house - unofficially on the market for around $700k.

Last edited:
Back