Women are more likely the decision makers in buying/renting property

I just read this interesting article which states that women are the dominant decision makers in property decisions.

"Eight times as many agents witness women as the dominant decision maker when selling real estate over their male counterparts, managing director Thomas Roberts says. This one finding was fairly consistent across the country.?

http://www.apimagazine.com.au/api-o...:+API_Property_News+(Australian+Property+News)

This got me thinking i may need to cater my new builds to appeal more to women than men. What are some of your 'must haves' that are items you always upgrade when building a mid spec house (Build cost under 200k)?

Below is my attempt to list the items ranked in order of best bang/buck.
  1. Stone Kitchen Benchtops
  2. Large kitchen bench space and/or overhead cupboards
  3. inbuilt Dishwasher
  4. 900mm appliances
  5. Quality of taps and fittings
  6. Room for double door fridge? Or is single sufficient?
  7. Floor to wall tiling in bathroom
  8. Wooden floor boards in living areas
  9. Large outdoor entertainment area
  10. Larger bedrooms, or smaller bedrooms with larger walk in robes?
  11. 31c ceilings to Living?????
  12. Nice light fittings? or will the standard spec ones do?

I usually go for Evap A/C for builds under 200k.

Given the article states that agents think the market has been cool in QLD and other comments, I think this article is fairly badly researched.

Fair to say in my experience that women have a lot of influence in the decision, but it's often the men who talk the most. This article is also focusing on owner occupiers.

i am surprised you were not aware/ married couple..the women is the decision maker always !
the husband is just made to believe that its his decision :p

I just read this interesting article which states that women are the dominant decision makers in property decisions.

"Eight times as many agents witness women as the dominant decision maker when selling real estate over their male counterparts, managing director Thomas Roberts says. This one finding was fairly consistent across the country.?

http://www.apimagazine.com.au/api-o...:+API_Property_News+(Australian+Property+News)

This got me thinking i may need to cater my new builds to appeal more to women than men. What are some of your 'must haves' that are items you always upgrade when building a mid spec house (Build cost under 200k)?

Below is my attempt to list the items ranked in order of best bang/buck.
  1. Stone Kitchen Benchtops
  2. Large kitchen bench space and/or overhead cupboards
  3. inbuilt Dishwasher
  4. 900mm appliances
  5. Quality of taps and fittings
  6. Room for double door fridge? Or is single sufficient?
  7. Floor to wall tiling in bathroom
  8. Wooden floor boards in living areas
  9. Large outdoor entertainment area
  10. Larger bedrooms, or smaller bedrooms with larger walk in robes?
  11. 31c ceilings to Living?????
  12. Nice light fittings? or will the standard spec ones do?

I usually go for Evap A/C for builds under 200k.

All a male wants is a dunny and a fridge - internet cabling a bonus.

Most of your list is good, I further female refine it for you

Yes stone bench tops in kitchen
Yes stone benchtops in ensuite if you want a little pizazz and stand out from crowd (if budget is higher then do in laundry and main bathroom)
YES to overhead cupboards built to ceiling/bulkhead NO to overhead cupboards to have space above them for dust bunnies
NO inbuilt dishwasher - I don't want to be stuck with a brand I don't like
YES to 900mm appliances or better branded 600mm ones
NO tapware - I can't tell the difference between them all but not dregs
NO double door fridge for villas YES for house
NO floor to wall tiling in the sub 200k market UNLESS you can get a good deal and then only do in Ensuite
NO wooden floorboards - we love tiles too :)
YES to good sized out door entertaining area
YES to good sized bedrooms, NO to reducing size of bedroom to increase WIR
YES to coffered ceilings and 31c
YESISH to nice light fittings anything is better than a globe with a plastic shade

ADD
YES drawers in ensuite vanity (do not underestimate this one!)
YES to double vanities in ensuite
YES to larger shower, ie instead of 900 x 900 do 1200 x 900
YES to wall niche in shower

The way to a woman's heart is through the ensuite and the kitchen :rolleyes:

What does Mrs Tano say?

What does Mrs Tano say?

Thanks Myf, very detailed and thought out (as always). I have written down some of your good suggestions.

The 'Boss' does not like the idea that i am building a new house for tenants and she is stuck in an 80's built home.... but i am happy to live in the shed or the kids cubby house.

Look forward to catching up this week and hearing/seeing the progress at Gwellup.

Thanks Myf, very detailed and thought out (as always). I have written down some of your good suggestions.

The 'Boss' does not like the idea that i am building a new house for tenants and she is stuck in an 80's built home.... but i am happy to live in the shed or the kids cubby house.

Look forward to catching up this week and hearing/seeing the progress at Gwellup.

My commiserations to Mrs Tano. Ease her pain and let her know that I live with plastic basins, plastic light shades, naked light bulbs, laminate EVERYTHING and a WIR which is WI but no R as Mr Westminster still has not put shelves and rail in it after 11 years!!

Interesting... I've always had this quoted in meters - eg 2.7m or 3.3m high ceilings

In WA we seem pretty on the ball about measuring in brick heights - after all we do LOVE building everything in brick :)

Who cares how many courses it is when you are building with weatherboard and plasterboard?

28c is a standard ceiling so 2.4m. But as a brick course is 76mm plus 10mm of mortar it then gets fiddly with the actual heights, ie 31c which is common for a high ceiling here is 2666mm. 7 courses is basically 600mm

He's male - doesn't understand the need to HANG up clothes. Dirty clothes go on the floor, clean clothes live in the laundry basket :)

My wife had a very clever solution to this problem. She noted where my dirty cloths tended to land at the end of the day and she put a laundry basket in that spot. :p

Hmm...this post makes me think I am missing something?

My new PPOR has 2 vanities in the ensuite. To me having the double vanity is a waste of space and something extra to clean.

What am I missing?!?! :D

It does take up space and is extra to clean BUT its about having a luxurious/hotel/resort experience in a small way in your home and having the ability to have space for the 1000 creams that some women want/need.

I don't take the hotel/resport experience so far that it has no door. Everyone needs a door on their bathroom. I do not want to see what anyone is doing in there :p

Absolutely!
Women are the decision makers in most situations but especially buying.

You must direct the work towards what they think is WOW...!!!
Make them want it....

If you have that...then you have a good, easy sale or longer term tenants for more rent.

Back