Women on SS are atypical

i think the ladies posting in this thread deserve a lot of credit for not losing it to be honest, some of the posts have been beyond ridiculous

thanks! yes,, I wonder whether they really live what they are saying, or its just a fascade.

Reminds me of a joke I heard many years ago.. told by a male minister.

A visiting minister was speaking at a local church on marraige. He emphasised that the husband is head of the household, that women should serve their husbands and be obedient etc.

A few months later, he was visiting again, and one of the congregation went up to talk to him after the service. " I really enjoyed your last sermon, Pastor, and I put it into practice right away. I went home and told my wife that I am head of the household and she needs to obey me and serve me etc etc". the pastor asked how she responded....

"Well I didnt see her for several days affterwards, Pastor........

but after 3 days or so, the swelling in my eyes went down and I was able to see again!! n:eek::rolleyes:

i think the ladies posting in this thread deserve a lot of credit for not losing it to be honest, some of the posts have been beyond ridiculous

Personally the more extreme and ridiculous the comments, the less perturbed I am by them - I actually find them a little amusing.

Mostly they indicate to me personal issues like extreme feelings of powerlessness, and online is the only way they can top note/get attention/bully (troll) to feel better.

If that gives them some relief and me some entertainment then it's a win/win (the therapist coming out in me) :p.

penny, I like that. Online especially is a great place to live any fascade, unlike in real life where people just roll their eyes and walk away - they can SEE you're 5 foot nothing with no testicles, and/or a person that has had no bigger successes than men with no testicles, and/or have poorer relationships than men with no testicles :D.

To be honest, I feel a real sense of sadness that some of the posters of those comments must have really sad, unfulfilled lives, full of bitterness and their own self importance.

It says way more about the people posting their opinions.

IF I had a remark to the comments I would post it btw, but I cannot be bothered. Kudos to the other gals/guys of Somersoft, who responded with such articulate-ness.

Reminds me of a joke I heard many years ago.. told by a male minister.

A visiting minister was speaking at a local church on marraige. He emphasised that the husband is head of the household, that women should serve their husbands and be obedient etc.

A few months later, he was visiting again, and one of the congregation went up to talk to him after the service. " I really enjoyed your last sermon, Pastor, and I put it into practice right away. I went home and told my wife that I am head of the household and she needs to obey me and serve me etc etc". the pastor asked how she responded....

"Well I didnt see her for several days afterwards, Pastor........

but after 3 days or so, the swelling in my eyes went down and I was able to see again!!

Yep, good for a laugh....I got a chuckle out of that.

Although, if you flip the sexes around and told the joke again, I don't think too many would be laughing.

Self-deprecating attitudes when you are in charge is a noble thing IMO.

Self-deprecating attitudes when you are equal is pathetic IMO.

Yep, good for a laugh....I got a chuckle out of that.

Although, if you flip the sexes around and told the joke again, I don't think too many would be laughing.

Self-deprecating attitudes when you are in charge is a noble thing IMO.

Self-deprecating attitudes when you are equal is pathetic IMO.

Not sure where you have had your head buried, there are a small, select range of misogynist comments, jokes on this board, been so for years. Go look through the 'joke' threads, go look through threads on issue to do with powerful, vocal females. You go a bit quiet on those sexist comments.

I don't particularly think jokes about spouses belting each other are very clever either, but this board has had it's share of racism and sexism. Not to mention the political idealogies, and potshots at have and have nots.

As a long term poster on this board, a person who has some obvious respect and following, your silence on the potshots toward females in this thread (as a husband, father to daughters) has been deafening.

Reactions: weg
Yeah sorry 'bout that, I'm busy washing my hair.

I wasn't aware my 'job' was to police and comment on / be aware of every post in every thread. I thought we had Mods for that.

I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to fathers / daughters etc. I'm a little ol' Granny quietly living with my 3 cats in Box Hill.

I thought the posters were kidding!

I am sure they are. I often read the posts for humourous relief and laugh out loud. There are many humorous posters and posters who attempt humour. And we may not get their humour or know that they are trying to be humorous.

Why are pentecostals wealthier than baptists and pres? I thought they were all variants of christianity.

Sorry China, I was out all day yesterday.

The very conservative Christians such as Baptists and Presbyterians are generally into austerity. No dancing, no alcohol, no fun, no watching m rated movies and preferably no watching TV at all. I really hope they've moved forward in the last 20 years after I left them.

In some cases, they not only despise Catholics but they despise Pentecostals and Charismatics (even further out there than Pent's) too. This is a generalisation, my son attends the Pres church at the bottom of our street and I have checked them out for my own sanity. They are very normal, mainstream middle-class, family-oriented and have lots of babies.

I am Pentecostal and am happy to testify that I would never have the courage and ability to be taking responsibility for my financial future if it wasnt for the healings and teachings I received from my church.

I am Pentecostal and am happy to testify that I would never have the courage and ability to be taking responsibility for my financial future if it wasnt for the healings and teachings I received from my church.

What do you mean by healings from your church? Have you been unwell and they cured you? Furthermore, I did not think that churches had much to do with financial advice.

In some cases, they not only despise Catholics but they despise Pentecostals and Charismatics (even further out there than Pent's) too. This is a generalisation, my son attends the Pres church at the bottom of our street and I have checked them out for my own sanity. They are very normal, mainstream middle-class, family-oriented and have lots of babies.

Are there really Charismatics or is this a funny joke?

the term "charistmatic" means "gift of grace", so anyone who believes/ practices the gifts of Spirit (healing, speaking in tongues, prophecy etc) could be termed charismatic. Unlike Angel, i would say that charismatic is less "out there" than Pentecostal..... there are lots of charismatic Anglicans etc. I would generally see it as being someone, or a church, which dont practice the gifts of the spirit in a church context, but do in smaller groups etc. but there are probably multiple definitions.

What do you mean by healings from your church? Have you been unwell and they cured you? Furthermore, I did not think that churches had much to do with financial advice.

I think Angel was probably referring to emotional healing and the confidence that comes from having a strong, growing faith, and seeing "supernatural provision". Apart from the offering talks, our church offers regular training for people setting up small business, and also for people who need to get out of debt etc.... So, its definitely not specific investment advice, (watch out for that!!.....:eek:) but rather more general money management etc

the term "charistmatic" means "gift of grace", so anyone who believes/ practices the gifts of Spirit (healing, speaking in tongues, prophecy etc) could be termed charismatic. Unlike Angel, i would say that charismatic is less "out there" than Pentecostal..... there are lots of charismatic Anglicans etc. I would generally see it as being someone, or a church, which dont practice the gifts of the spirit in a church context, but do in smaller groups etc. but there are probably multiple definitions.

I think Angel was probably referring to emotional healing and the confidence that comes from having a strong, growing faith, and seeing "supernatural provision". Apart from the offering talks, our church offers regular training for people setting up small business, and also for people who need to get out of debt etc.... So, its definitely not specific investment advice, (watch out for that!!.....:eek:) but rather more general money management etc

How does the term "charismatic" come to mean "gift of grace"? Presumably it has nothing to do with the ordinary use of the term charismatic as may be used to describe a politician or movie star (e.g. Al Pacino or Tom Cruise are charismatic actors)

When you say that there are charismatic Anglicans - I am somewhat confused because I do not see anglicans speaking in tongues, healing or prophesising.

Why does the church give training in small business or getting out of debt? Do they hire some financial advisors to give these talks or is it usually one parishioner to another. I do not recall this happening in ten years of attending Catholic mass.

@pennyk.. Thanks for the explanation which helps cement the weirdness of this branch of religion.

Why does the church give training in small business or getting out of debt? Do they hire some financial advisors to give these talks or is it usually one parishioner to another. I do not recall this happening in ten years of attending Catholic mass.

China, its possible the operating profits of the church have suffered due to the payouts caused by sexually active priests coveting children in their care and this is why they are branching out as financial advisors. I imagine they receive commissions on managed funds they have parishioners invest in (4% in and out fees) and possibly receive trailings on any loans they supply to those wishing to roll over their debt. Any income they receive is also tax free if they registeted themselves to the ATO as a religion.

How does the term "charismatic" come to mean "gift of grace"? Presumably it has nothing to do with the ordinary use of the term charismatic as may be used to describe a politician or movie star (e.g. Al Pacino or Tom Cruise are charismatic actors)

Different meaning.

When you say that there are charismatic Anglicans - I am somewhat confused because I do not see anglicans speaking in tongues, healing or prophesising.

How many Anglican churches have you been to? It's not common amongst the Anglicans, but it's definitely there.

Churches (at least the decent ones) provide a level of spiritual and emotional support and assistance. Many people struggle to get on because they are weighed down by baggage. Once that baggage is dealt with, people can bloom.

EDIT: It's also worth remembering that churches can differ substantially, even within a denomination, so each church is usually very different.

After two glasses of chardonay since tea time, I cant seem to remember what the difference is between Charismatic and Pentecostal. Historically the Pentecostal movement occured around the beginning of the 20th Century, breaking away from mainstream protestant denominations such as Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist. Approx another 50 years later, the Charismatic movement was a breakaway from the Pentecostals and the Prophetic-Apostolic movement is a breakaway from them. I moved on from that part of my life about ten years ago and all I remember tonight is that I was too wierd for most people, hubby included.

In those days I spent fifteen years in and out of (secular) psychologist's offices trying to get rid of the baggage from my upbringing. Within the church I have been through many healings both physical and emotional and been involved in delivering healings to others. I have left that part of my life behind and dont participate in it any more, although whenever I meet up with like-minded people, the charismatic experiences manifest themselves again. I was heavily involved in the Prophetic-Apostolic movement in the 1990s which the Pentecostal and Charismatic churches in Australia didn't really recognise, even though they publicly embraced the movement for a few years. One of the ministers I worked with was a charismatic Anglican.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostolic-Prophetic_Movement

Last edited:
Going by your logic you are a woman.
Bitter, whingeing and with a strong but misplaced sense of entitlement.

I am pointing out facts and statistics in relation to the OP.
I have never posted anything on this forum remotely akin to being entitled to anything other than that I have worked for.

Which church is that? Is there a branch close to me?
Try Hillsong. Not exactly a church, more like a capitalistic congregation that evokes god and jesus a lot. But they do tell wives to keep feminine and sexy for their husbands if they want to keep them.
Maybe because divorcees would contribute much less financially.

To be honest, I feel a real sense of sadness that some of the posters of those comments must have really sad, unfulfilled lives, full of bitterness and their own self importance.
You have pretty much described all of feminism and those entitled princesses out there.

"Well I didnt see her for several days affterwards, Pastor........

but after 3 days or so, the swelling in my eyes went down and I was able to see again!! n:eek::rolleyes:
Would it be so funny if he slapped her on the back of the head and booted her out the door and replaced her hotter, younger more feminine women eager to abide by wedding vowels not changed for her convenience in exchange for his commitment?
That minister obviously has never read his own bible, not heard the teaching of his own church. Meaning he is not fit to be one.

Back