Women on SS are atypical

How does the term "charismatic" come to mean "gift of grace"?
When you say that there are charismatic Anglicans - I am somewhat confused because I do not see anglicans speaking in tongues, healing or prophesising.

Why does the church give training in small business or getting out of debt? Do they hire some financial advisors to give these talks or is it usually one parishioner to another. I do not recall this happening in ten years of attending Catholic mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charisma .. i got it from the dictionary! I suspect the commonly used charisma descended from the spiritual charisma.

In terms of training, it could be either, and i guess the purpose is that people need to see their faith as a whole of lfe experiencel, rather than just Sunday. in my experience, catholic churches dont like to focus on money, and tend to value poverty more highly than prosperity. (big generalisation though!)

Anglicans generally would not experience gifts of spirit in a Sunday morning service. but there are a number of churches who run healing services.. the one next to Town Hall has one of the best healing services (of any church) and its been going for many years.

China, its possible the operating profits of the church have suffered due to the payouts caused by sexually active priests coveting children in their care and this is why they are branching out as financial advisors. I imagine they receive commissions on managed funds they have parishioners invest in (4% in and out fees) and possibly receive trailings on any loans they supply to those wishing to roll over their debt. Any income they receive is also tax free if they registeted themselves to the ATO as a religion.

In my experience, churches are not working as financial advisors in any specific way, and I would definitely feel uncomfortbale iwht the church having managed funds for their m
embers. Are you saying this from knowledge, or just imagination?
there are a few churches that have mistreated children.... but they are definitly in the minority and the bigger issue with funds are that less people go to church these days.

Try Hillsong. Not exactly a church, more like a capitalistic congregation that evokes god and jesus a lot. But they do tell wives to keep feminine and sexy for their husbands if they want to keep them.
Maybe because divorcees would contribute much less financially.

Have you been to Hillsong, or are you just relying on reports on A CUrrent Affair etc from disgruntled former members?
they also tell wives that they can preach, lead worship, work in business... hardly a "keep silent" approach.
I think you'd be terrified of some of the strong women there. Have a listen to Bobbie Houston or Christine Caine.....

Would it be so funny if he slapped her on the back of the head and booted her out the door and replaced her hotter, younger more feminine women eager to abide by wedding vowels not changed for her convenience in exchange for his commitment?
That minister obviously has never read his own bible, not heard the teaching of his own church. Meaning he is not fit to be one.

Its a joke PB.... take it as such!!
and it was told by a minister, who did know his bible.......... as a joke!!
I think its reasonable for me to share this things, given the amount of tripe that you have put on this thread..

Historically the Pentecostal movement occured around the beginning of the 20th Century, breaking away from mainstream protestant denominations such as Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist. Approx another 50 years later, the Charismatic movement was a breakaway from the Pentecostals and the Prophetic-Apostolic movement is a breakaway from them.

Thats crazy talk, there shouldnt be any difference if they all believe in JC.

Are you saying this from knowledge, or just imagination?

Mostly my imagination.

Thats crazy talk, there shouldnt be any difference if they all believe in JC.

the difference is more in style than in belief.. some people like quiet worship, some people loud etc.

there will be shades of grey between churches, but in the core beliefs, they will usually be the same.

I think you'd be terrified of some of the strong women there. Have a listen to Bobbie Houston or Christine Caine.....

A strong person does not need a church or religion to validate themselves.
What they are doing is a commercial enterprise.
Maybe you can't tell the difference between that and religion.

Its a joke PB.... take it as such!!
and it was told by a minister, who did know his bible.......... as a joke!!
I think its reasonable for me to share this things, given the amount of tripe that you have put on this thread..
I don't recall this being the joke thread, and violence against men (or anyone else) is no longer a joke when they cant make the same jokes.
This christian woman thinks wives should spend less time having coffee, cakes and icecream and more time in the gym and aim to please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-9cIZbOr_w
They would be much happier if they took her advice instead of having "really sad, unfulfilled lives, full of bitterness and their own self importance."

Yes. Of course.

One person speaks for every Christian. But only when it fits your narrow minded little pigeon hole.

Why should faith or lack of faith be an issue anyway? For anyone?

the difference is more in style than in belief.. some people like quiet worship, some people loud etc.

there will be shades of grey between churches, but in the core beliefs, they will usually be the same.

I guess its a good way to diversify their income by setting up different flavours of the same thing so they appeal to as many tastes as possible. A bit like McDonalds (Christianity) offering different burgers of the same variety so people think they have a choice instead of them going to eat at Subway (Islam) and give their money to the competitor.

"really sad, unfulfilled lives, full of bitterness and their own self importance."

And now you are quoting me out of context. For the record, it wasn't the women in this thread, (or most of the men either) that I was referring to with the above quote. It also had nothing to do with religion.

Reactions: weg
I don't recall this being the joke thread, and violence against men (or anyone else) is no longer a joke when they cant make the same jokes.
This christian woman thinks wives should spend less time having coffee, cakes and icecream and more time in the gym and aim to please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-9cIZbOr_w
They would be much happier if they took her advice instead of having "really sad, unfulfilled lives, full of bitterness and their own self importance."

Look PB, it's pretty clear women have trampled all over you (rejected you, slapped you about?), or you wouldn't be reacting this way... but let me tell you you'll be hard pressed finding someone, unless they're from O/S, who's going to pander to you like some Tsar.

Keep dreaming :D.

I am pointing out facts and statistics in relation to the OP....

Hi PB

I noticed you have mentioned twice including above about your reservation with the veracity of conclusions expressed in the article and mentioned at the OP. I think in general that women are not as financially astute as those in SS and as a result they do have difficulty providing for themselves when old compared with men. Maybe I am a bit old fashion but the groups 'widows and orphans' have historically been mentioned as deserving of assistance. Of course there are exceptions but on average and in general they deserve looking out for.

I posted somewhere else in the forum about the difficulty of women looking out for themeselves in old age and someone else (a feminist probably) disagreed with me. In response I posted the following information. This is the sort of information that is consistent with the findings introduced at the OP.

"A review of various studies and surveys taken in the United States as well as in other countries shows that not only is (financial) literacy low, it is particularly severe among vulnerable groups such as women and the elderly."

From http://www.advisorone.com/2012/02/15...ble-population

"Men and women hoping to retire within the next five to ten years are being forced to face a cold truth—they may not be financially prepared to retire. And women are especially vulnerable. Consider these facts about older women from the Administration on Aging:

· In 2001, women accounted for nearly 60 percent of the population age 60 and older, and 70 percent of the population 85 and older.

· Seven out of ten baby-boom women will outlive their husbands.

· Older women are twice as likely as older men to live in poverty, and half of the elderly widows living in poverty were not living in poverty before their husbands died.

· Older women are three times as likely as older men to live alone.

· Most older women depend primarily on Social Security for their retirement income, and are half as likely to receive employer pension benefits as men.

· According to the Census Bureau, retirement income for women over age 65 is just over half of the retirement income received by men in the same age group."

From http://www.blunckfinancial.com/resou...retirement.htm

Of course some men need help as well and I am not denying this. In fact I do look out for the bins placed by disadvantaged men group to deposit any old clothes.
:)

Found an interesting article on Bloomberg today. I wonder how the people that voted for this woman feel about this. Pretty irresponsible of her, in my opinion. I also believe it's not going to do any favours for women with political aspirations in England, especially those with children still at home.

Elected Minister resigns post to look after children

Just another case of reality slapping a woman in the face after a lifetime of being told 'You can have it all'. Evolution can't be squeezed into a convenient little box of political correctness.

Imagine the uproar if a man had done that....

Steve Bracks did it... (no uproar that I know about).

From Wikipedia -

Resignation
Bracks announced his resignation as Premier on 27 July 2007, saying this was in order to spend more time with his family.[11] He stepped down on 30 July 2007. According to the ABC, Bracks had been under political and personal pressure in the weeks before his resignation. Alone among State Premiers, he had refused to agree to the Federal Government's $10 billion Murray-Darling Basin water conservation plan,[12] and his son had been involved in an accident involving a charge of drink driving.[13] Bracks told a media conference he could no longer give a 100 per cent commitment to politics:
“ Once you reach a point where you can no longer make that commitment, the choice is clear – I have made that choice. ”

— Steve Bracks, announcing his retirement[14]
Bracks' deputy John Thwaites announced his resignation on the same day. News of the resignations caused surprise to the general community as well as to politicians. It was revealed that then Federal Labor Leader Kevin Rudd was informed only minutes before the announcement, and tried to talk Bracks out of his decision. Bracks' Treasurer John Brumby was elected unopposed by the Victorian Labor Caucus as Premier, while Attorney-General Rob Hulls was elected Deputy Premier.
[edit]

I don't see the significance.

You don't? It's a world of difference. The implication from being in Parliament only for 2 years then quitting for 'family reasons' is that you were never committed to public service in the first place. At least Bracks/Thwaites can say that they gave a good part of their life to Victoria and can move on to a new chapter. Not just change your mind when you feel like it.

I'm sorry to say we will just have to agree to disagree. Life can throw curve balls six months after you take office. Or six years.

Hi wylie, re: Steve Bracks. Yes, I'm sure this had nothing to do with it...

"According to the ABC, Bracks had been under political and personal pressure in the weeks before his resignation. Alone among State Premiers, he had refused to agree to the Federal Government's $10 billion Murray-Darling Basin water conservation plan,[12] and his son had been involved in an accident involving a charge of drink driving."

It's obvious that Bracks and Thwaites were forced to walk the plank.

Life can throw curve balls six months after you take office. Or six years.

Come on wylie, you can't be serious. Choosing to step down from Parliament because you decide you want to be at home with your children is not a 'curve ball'. Personally, if I had voted for her (or him for that matter, as the case may be), I would be absolutely furious.

I wonder how much damage her decision has done to the Conservative Party.

Like I said. We'll have to agree to disagree.

(Reposted due to somehow adding an "embarrassment" face due to using an iphone. I'm not embarrassed at my reply, so reposted it without the face.)

As to the other point, I wonder how we could even start to work how much damage is done on a daily basis by the varied (stupid, foolish, illegal???) actions of politicians has on the voting public. Most of them are men, by the way :)

Back