Woohoo, goal #1 achieved, PPOR paid off in only 5 years!

And it feels awesome!! :D

I was going to title this thread, a bit tongue in cheek like Kieth did, "How I went from a modest deposit and no assets to a paid off PPOR worth almost $1M and an asset portfolio worth more than $2M in only 5 years" but I thought that might be a bit too much... :p

But in essence, that's what this awesome community here has helped enable me achieve. That, and a singular focus on investing and a drive to succeed and accept no setbacks.

So, here I am, having started investing in 2002 at the tail end of Sydney's bumper property boom. Most would have said, don't buy in Sydney now its all over-priced. Well I did buy, I bought a vacant block of land in North Narrabeen and built my dream home. I then used the equity that this created to buy another IP and also to leverage into the ASX. Since then the ASX returns have helped not only service the interest on my investment IP but to assist in paying down the balance of the mortgage on my PPOR. Well this month's distribution has come in and it was a ripper and it was that big distribution that has just cleared the mortgage on my PPOR!

I guess the big thing that did it for me was to take on a problem that others couldn't solve and turn it into a nice little profit. The PPOR in Nth Narrabeen started out as the block that all builders looked at and got scared by into a modern house worth around $900K. Others were scared by the slope and limited access of the site and as a result I paid only $270K for the 1600m2 site and then another $350K to build the house. So for $620K I got a PPOR that was then valued at $750K. Today its closer to $900K and is now debt free. That, and then being willing to diversify my portfolio into equities for their cash flow potential when most were arguing against that asset category and specifically against the fund I selected.

Just thought I'd share this significant personal milestone with all my great friends here so you can share in my joy. I seriously didn't think it was possible to achieve so much so quickly. And against the backdrop of a flat/declining Sydney market and with an arguably over-bought ASX I think this is a significant result.

So, don't use the "wrong time to buy property" argument to hold you back from achieving great things. We bought at the wrong time and rode a flat Sydney market to a paid off $900K PPOR in Sydney. You can buck the trend if you work hard at it. Some people have the benefit of the property market doing all the hard work for them, and my hat off to those folks, but for others like me its been blood sweat and tears but you can still achieve great results. I'm continuing with that approach now by "building" equity into my Mona Vale IP by developing it. I can't assume the Sydney market will do the hard work for me, but maybe one day that property market will do me a favour too...

Thanks to everyone here for all your support and advice along the way. I'm going to stick around here for years to come (sorry ;) ) if only so I can give back half of what you lot have given me.

Luvs yas all!

Michael.

Your excitement is evident in your post... well done, that's an excellent result in such a short time.

Looks like you should be the next Somersoft interviewee :)

Can we dig a little deeper into your structure so we can all maybe learn something from your experience?

E.g. I trust you use an offset account and haven't given all that money back to the bank just yet?
Were you capitalising your IP repayments so that you could pay off your PPOR even faster or was it solely from income and dividends?
Are you into direct shares, managed funds etc?

Love to hear the gory details if you care to divulge.

Thanks,
Gooram

Well done Michael, congratulations.

Make sure you do celebrate, it's easy to let such milestones slip past without really patting yourself on the back and recognising your achievement.

I've read so much of your journey over the past couple of years I almost feel like I should be celebrating and having a drink on your behalf, LOL.

cheers

Gooram,

Happy to share the details. I'll start with some answers here but ask away if I miss anything...

1. You're right, at the moment there is $175K in my mortgage offset account offseting the $175K outstanding mortgage on my PPOR. This gives me some flexibility should an emergency arise or should I want to change that asset to an IP and get deductibility from the $175K mortgage outstanding. Admittedly, this is a small portion of the value of the property, but I've had to keep putting cash off the mortgage so that I can then rip it out again as an LOC for use on decuctible asset purchases otherwise spending the cash would not have been deductible. Does that make sense? I hope it does...

2. No, I didn't capitalise my IP interest, but did take it as interest only. Its tennanted which has helped my cashflow, but its predominately been the additional income from my managed funds which has paid down my PPOR loan so quickly.

3. I'm into managed funds over direct shares. I've currently got $800K in my fund of choice which just returned 18% for the year just gone by way of distributed income. Its got some retained growth on top of that income return as well. My weighted cost of capital (as its all borrowed money split between a LOC and a margin loan) is 8.0% pa, which means the fund has netted me a 10% return, or $80K profit, over my cost of capital. That $80K has been the clincher in paying down the mortgage so quickly. Oh, and I have been capitalising the margin loan interest so my actual cash flow from this fund was closer to $120K than $80K but I'm stretching my LVR. I'll now use the cash flow from the next few distributions to re-invest into the fund and help reduce the LVR a bit back to more managable levels.

If you need any more details on my structure or approach I'm happy to share them. My fundamental approach has been ensuring an appropriate balance to my asset weightings. I use property for growth, but because it is negatively geared in Sydney, I use my managed fund income to offset the holding costs on my IP. The surplus cash flow has gone to paying down my PPOR.

And the obvious piece that hasn't been mentioned is that I also live well within my means. I live a relatively modest lifestyle and apply vehemently the concept of delayed gratification. My brother is the polar opposite of me in that regard and his situaiton reflects that unfortunately. I love him dearly, but his pride meant he wouldn't ask me for financial assistance. As a result, he has just sold his property in Sydney as he could no longer afford the repayments and is moving to Brisbane. I, by way of contrast, have just paid my house in Sydney off and am leveraging into even more assets. But that's a whole other thread. I was actually going to post it as "a story of two brothers" but it hurt a bit too much to write. I love that guy like no other, we were each best man at each other's wedding, but we couldn't be more different in our approach to life. I just wish he'd let me in, but unfortunately he's too proud.

Off on a tangent now that I didn't want to go down so will pull it up there...

Cheers (a slightly more depressed now),
Michael.

I've read so much of your journey over the past couple of years I almost feel like I should be celebrating and having a drink on your behalf, LOL.
You should!

And so should everyone else on this forum who has directly contributed to my success. I meant it when I said that I owe you all so much!! You're as much a part of my success as I am.

On that note, when is the next SIG! I think I feel a shout coming on!! :D

Cheers,
Michael.

Dear Michael,

Can I just say...CONGRATULATIONS:) :) :)

Very inspirational to read and you have every right to be proud of your achievments. Fantastic that you are sharing your success with us on the forum.

Mrs Bird

Top effort mate and you should be proud.

I can see after reading this thread and the KeithJ interview that we are going to have to look at this managed fund/share thing a lot harder than we have been.

Again congratulation's.

BB

Congratulations Michael!
I'm only new here, so unfortunately haven't followed your story over the years - but as a budding 28 year old saving for his first home, you like many others here provide that inspiration to keep plowing ahead.

If that signature relates to your PPOR, you might need to update it now!!

Well I am proud to say Mr Whyte and Co are arriving at our country abode this evening for the weekend so I will be the first to be able to “shout” his achievement. A warming drink may be in order as it is presently 6 degree and threatening to go from rain to sleet in the crisp Macedon ranges as of 4pm:eek:

Congratulations Michael & Kaye.

Stories like yours IMHumbleO add more than the dry (yet valid) debate of rates this and next boom suburb that. I say this as MW proves that actually doing something[/B is the key to success, not the planning which albeit important, only a factor.

And for those very few who say "well he had all the luck" consider this. I know his first PPOR made little money due to timing and in Dec 06 he was made redundant. Each time he has learnt and planned and moved on. Like Dazzling’s recent commercial “nightmare come dream” thread, his redundancy allowed a recharge of the battery and a new job with more $$ and fresh focus. Noice ;)

The lesson: Look for the bargains. MW development site is a lot like his present PPOR. It was on the market for a long time. It had potential but was not straightforward and had been overlooked by many as too hard. 6months later and with the Sydney market about to boom combined with a very attractive 3 apartment complex at DA in with Council, he is sitting on another gold mine.

Time to go off and search the cellar for that very good twenty year old bottle of port mate!

Any excuse for good port, Peter 14.7:D

Michael

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

We've been stuck in the rut a bit of late, and not making the progress we would like to make - but your post has given me the kick in the butt I need to get things rolling again!

Thank you for sharing this with your SS family!

Cheers
LynnH

Somersoft just getting better and better with inspiring success stories like this.

Well done. Michael.

(Can't wait for my turn to show off my story here :)

Michael,

Congratulations on your achievements, it's fantastic stuff. You should book a dinner for two at Tetsuyas, you only live once. :)

You remind me quite a bit of myself, except you're a few years older and wealthier than me! But one day..

Thanks so much everyone,

And a particular thanks to you Peter... You seriously make me blush! But its been your support, as well as that of so many great members on this forum, that has given me the confidence to do what I have done. It was Peter that taught me the importance of setting up a company and operating my "business" as a business. That alone turned on a switch in my mind which has taken me to another level.

And it was the likes of JoannaK and her selfless support in assisting with the initial feasibility study for the Mona Vale development site that gave me the confidence to go ahead with it. Then there's the Pitt St's of the world and their "cruel to be kind" comments about deer's in the headlights that forced some introspection and ultimately got me off my you-know-what, then there's Jindaro who helped with my sketches, KiethJ/Thommo with my managed fund selection, Jacque with my architect (actually giving me their name) and there'd be 20 other members I could write here and their very specific and selfless contribution to my personal and financial growth. Its the friendships that I have developed over the last two years that I cherish so much more than the financial outcomes those friendships have delivered. Take a bow Somersoft, you've done something special this time.

I wouldn't be the investor I am today without the genuine support and direct involvement of so many members on the forum. Sure, it takes "action" for me to turn that support into a financial outcome, but without the support there wouldn't have been the direction I needed to direct my action.

Its been a humbling experience. And as my title suggests, I still very much consider myself to be the little guy in this big pond, but a little guy with some very VERY big dreams now!!

Peter, I've got some bottles on the way, but you better put one on ice for when we get there. Hang on, maybe just put it on the back porch, it would achieve the same outcome there at the moment... :p

Cheers,
Michael.

I have a suggestion for the $175K in your offset account:

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2417998
Somebody knows me WAAAAAYY to well...

She sure is pretty. :D

Maybe once Mona Vale is developed. Then my wonderful wife Kay has agreed that 10% of the gross realisation can be spent on a new toy as a reward! That would make it $250K on current projections. :rolleyes:

PS Sorry BB, I lurve the monohuls. Currently racing on a 44' out of middle harbour yacht club. Getting my miles up for an intended Sydney-Hobart in two years time.

Cheers,
Michael.

PS Sorry BB, I lurve the monohuls. Currently racing on a 44' out of middle harbour yacht club. Getting my miles up for an intended Sydney-Hobart in two years time.

Cheers,
Michael.

Had my time with them as well mate, but i'd go through a carton of beer a day and only drink a couple, the rest went to the Bilge God.:eek:

That and they are just SOooo Slooowww:D

Good on ya with the Hobart though, but I like the big downhill slides these day's more than flogging to windward.

They tell me QLD is warm that time of year.

BB

Back