Word of Warning

Hi All,

Just a quick word of warning that comes from a recent experience of mine.

I rent a property and my landlords had recently purchased the property when we moved in. They were kind enough to have both of the gas heaters serviced 12 months ago. Both heaters were old and nobody knew when it had last been done.

The space heater in our living area heats the main living space and the kids bedrooms so we would use this heater of an evening to keep the sleeping space warm for the kids so when the pilot light went out and I couldn't get it re-lit I contacted one of my plumbers and asked him just to re-light the pilot for me. My cost obviously!

My plumber / gasfitter attended, re-lit the pilot, got it going and ran a CO test which had alarming results. The heater was leaking CO at an ever increasing rate for the 3-5 mins that he had it running. Obviously he has had to shut it off and disconnect the heater. Upon closer inspection he found that the person who had serviced the heater 12 months before had left the heater in an illegal state which was likely the cause of the CO leak. This heater is about 40 years old.

Although there are no laws as to a landlords responsibility to service gas appliances every 2 years is the recommendation, however, if you have a gas heater in your IP which is as old as the hills it might be a good idea to have a service & CO test carried out every 12 months by a trusted trade!!

(and for those landlords that are wondering at the cost - I requested that the invoice be sent to me. The landlord didn't ask for any work to be done! I'll send them a copy so they have the details of the problem that has occurred but will not be seeking reimbursement!! :p)

First, a minor correction: CO (carbon monoxide) does not "leak" from heaters, it is created when the fuel is improperly burned. CO can also be created by other fuels such as wood, so it's not something that is limited to gas heaters.

Or is the issue that unburned fuel (natural gas or LPG) was leaking from the heater?

It sounds as though the landlord has done the right thing (had the heaters serviced) but the person who did the service has done something wrong. Hard to trap for that.

IMHO as a landlord I am becoming less inclined to supply any "extras" with a property and just rent out the basic house with power and water -- no phone, no tv aerial, no heaters, no aircon -- and instead allow the tenant to supply, install and maintain their own extra services.

Sorry Vaughn - over the years I have taken on the terminology of my plumbers in that regard. It was a positive CO result - not a gas leak :).

I'm not saying the landlord has done anything wrong at all. I have wonderful landlords, they are genuinely lovely people & we get along well. We were all surprised by the result of the CO test though because it was only serviced 12 months ago by the agents plumber (the agent I rent through).

It is tempting to issue tenants with a shell. I have been told that in many places in Europe when you rent a property it doesn't even come with a kitchen :). Bliss.

I am hoping that the next major change to the tenancies act in VIC is something that gives the landlords the ability to take more action against pet damages as pets don't really get a look-in at the moment and it's something that is supposed to have been amended over the last 5 years.

I like that, I can see that there will be some hiccups to iron out at first but it's a good idea. I hope that some guidelines are put in place for other states soon too. Unfortunately a faulty gas appliance = someone is getting sued! I don't want to get sued lol.

I have been told that in many places in Europe when you rent a property it doesn't even come with a kitchen :). Bliss.

There was some discussion on the forums recently which was prompted by a report on JJJ on how bad Aussie landlords are. (Not trying to start the discussion again here.)

One poster commented that in Europe the leases are much longer -- 5 to 10 years -- and often the lease puts maintenance back onto the tenant. (This is more like a commercial lease I believe.)

So for your house with no kitchen example, the rent would be priced accordingly and the tenant would have the opportunity to, say, lease it for 10 years and install a kitchen to their budget and taste. They would then be responsible for maintaining the whole house and if something breaks, they fix it as needed. No complaints about unresponsive landlords.

There was some discussion on the forums recently which was prompted by a report on JJJ on how bad Aussie landlords are. (Not trying to start the discussion again here.)

One poster commented that in Europe the leases are much longer -- 5 to 10 years -- and often the lease puts maintenance back onto the tenant. (This is more like a commercial lease I believe.)

So for your house with no kitchen example, the rent would be priced accordingly and the tenant would have the opportunity to, say, lease it for 10 years and install a kitchen to their budget and taste. They would then be responsible for maintaining the whole house and if something breaks, they fix it as needed. No complaints about unresponsive landlords.
Sounds like the way to go to me! See how much maintenance tenants are concerned about when it is back on them...... ;)

There's been talk for some time to get has heaters services every 2 years.

It's a recommendation I give to landlords, usually around $300 or so to be serviced including cleaning of the fan etc.

I wish instead of updating laws that prevent property managers adding problem tenants to NTD, they'd introduce some useful laws that would help save lives - ie gas servicing and compulsory smoke alarm checks. I don't like parting with my hard earned $$ as much as the next person, but I feel these laws would be beneficial.

About 8 years ago I had a tenant damage carpet/walls trying to light their own gas heater. Luckily they only scorched some hair.

I've refused to have gas heaters or connection points for them since in my rentals. Reverse cycle aircon is all they get.

Reminds of this recent story and also serves a warning to all LL who provide gas appliances in their IP's:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...r-deaths-of-sons/story-e6frf7kx-1226635269344

A tragedy that will haunt all those involved for the rest of their lives.
This is the story that started the push for new laws to be introduced.

Skater - Tradies cost a bit where you come from! lol but yes, they are focusing on the wrong things. Gas appliances, smoke alarms, pets and more options with tenants who 'play the system' paying their rent at the final hour etc. That is where some energy needs to be spent!

So I guess the moral of the story is, get a trusted trade? Heard that many times on here.
One of :). I've used the same trades for the last 4 years so I am fortunate in being able to offer my landlords a recommendation that I can really stand by. I think it is very important to ask you PM's how long they have been using a particular trade :).

Definitely find a trusty tradie!

And looks like I'll have to find some further recommendations too! But perhaps I was thinking of the cost of a replacement fan, and not just the servicing/testing.

Back