Working Overseas

I have travelled to Europe many, many times and am quite familiar with the ins and outs of plane travel and being an overseas tourist but now I have been offered a short term contract in Geneva, which I have accepted, starting very shortly.

We have several SS members living and working overseas so my question is ... can you give me any pointers that would come in handy working in Switzerland that is different to visiting as a tourist?

I am told the salary is tax-free as I will be working for the UN - is that correct?

Any hints would be appreciated :D

Chris

Tax-free?

Hi Chrispy

I know from working at UNIDO in Vienna that this depends what type of contract you will have. If you wish, please email/PM me your telephone number and a suitable time to call you so that we can discuss. I am presently in Sydney until 21 March when I return to Vienna. I retired from UNIDO end January this year.

Ciao

annE:) :) :)

Chrispy

Many years ago, I investigated working in Switzerland. I went to Geneva for an interview, And I was accepted- pending confirmation of the position.

On the day we were leaving England, on a quick visit to Australia, we were told that the project had collapsed.

It was fortunate for me that the collapse did not happen later.

But I did have some very good material from the agent about working in Switzerland.

What they were saying (way back then, in 1990) was that there was a very insular culture about living in Switzerland.

If a mailman delivered a letter to a familiar address with un unfamiliar name, he felt it his duty to report it.

If a neighbour saw an unfamiliar person in a house or unit, the would want to report it.

So if you did work there, it would be really important to make sure everything was OK legally.

(In multi storey units, a man had to sit down on the loo to pass water. He was not allowed (aloud?) to make much noise).

Thanks PT, AnnE and Geoff, as usual Geoff has me with a huge grin :D

I am actually going to work for the UN and all is now in order, I have checked the contract thoroughly and know someone working there, so have been able to establish that all is in order.

So now its all systems go, I fly off on the 10th March for my next adventure, hopefully I will be able to log on to SS forum as usual.

The attraction for me is the closeness to my family in the Uk - I think I will get to know Easyjet and Ryanair quite well :)

I will keep you posted on life in Switzerland

Chris

Geoff

I have just read all the entries in that thread!!!! There are some amazingly unhappy people there but the best was the American living in Canada wanting to emigrate to Switzerland because the hospitals are supposed to be better!!!!

One thing I learnt was not to stand in a public telephone box in Bern.....

This forum is well behaved in comparison and our life in Australia looks fantastic!!!

I will let you know if its all true on my return :D

Chris

Back